Premed 101 Forums

Secondary Application

Hi guys,

Are we able to reuse what we said on the primary application on the secondary application? 

I guess ideally you shouldn't because then what's the point of having two separate applications if not for the secondary to cover what was not covered in the primary.. but it's hard to think of completely new examples from my life.

They already have your primary, try to come up with something new to say. It can relate to something you already brought up on your primary, but I wouldn't use the exact same spin on the exact same experience.

Thanks for your input! What do you think about the fact that they can ask you anything from the primary or the secondary application? 

The secondary is asking what's your most significant volunteer and clinical experience. Of course, I put my most significant experiences in the primary already and even marked them as one of the three most significant experiences. So if I put some other experience that's not one of my most significant ones for the sake of putting a different experience compared to the one I put in primary, what if they ask me about this less significant experience instead and I can't elaborate on it as well as I could on a more significant experience?

Thanks for your input! What do you think about the fact that they can ask you anything from the primary or the secondary application? 

The secondary is asking what's your most significant volunteer and clinical experience. Of course, I put my most significant experiences in the primary already and even marked them as one of the three most significant experiences. So if I put some other experience that's not one of my most significant ones for the sake of putting a different experience compared to the one I put in primary, what if they ask me about this less significant experience instead and I can't elaborate on it as well as I could on a more significant experience?

That question can [should] definitely relate to something listed on your primary. Just don't re-word what you wrote, briefly bring it up and then the rest of the prompt can be about how it affected you using specific examples, which you probably don't have on your primary. It depends on how long the prompt response can be, but it shouldn't be hard to discuss it in a way that is distinct from your primary listing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the unrelated question but thought I'd ask... Do schools start to review your application after your secondary submission even if your letters of recommendation haven't been received?  Or should I hurry up and get those sorted asap too?

Hey, sorry for the unrelated question but thought I'd ask... Do schools start to review your application after your secondary submission even if your letters of recommendation haven't been received? Or should I hurry up and get those sorted asap too?

Some do. Most do not.

Archived