Premed 101 Forums

Ohip & Driver's Licence

Hello! 

For a driver's licence, assuming I won't be getting a car at any point, would this ever become an issue to have a non-ON card? It seems like it wouldn't, and I have my full licence, so this would be the equivalent of a "G" I'm guessing. Is there any need to have an ON licence if I'll be there but not driving? The site said 6 months was the max not to switch. I would still be able to use the card as ID, correct? I have no other photo ID so it's important for plane travel!

My other question was about OHIP. The only time I have lived in a different province was Quebec, and from what I recall we had to pay up-front if we ever went to the ER, etc. without QC health cards. Reimbursement came later.

Are there any such restrictions in Ontario? I haven't been able to find any online, but I just wanted to be sure, since getting new cards can involve waiting in long lines at service centres which I want to get out of the way before school! 

Thanks for tolerating these potentially very obvious questions :) 

Hello! 

My other question was about OHIP. The only time I have lived in a different province was Quebec, and from what I recall we had to pay up-front if we ever went to the ER, etc. without QC health cards. Reimbursement came later.

Are there any such restrictions in Ontario? I haven't been able to find any online, but I just wanted to be sure, since getting new cards can involve waiting in long lines at service centres which I want to get out of the way before school! 

I could be wrong but I believe the hospital takes QB cards. I used to work in a medical office and we took out of province cards except quebec ones, but we were told that hospitals take QB cards. 

Depending on which province you come from, you may want to "officially" move for OSAP vs your original provinces student loans.

Drivers licence will remain valid should be fine (although If you loose it you might have to go back to your province to get a new one?) There is also the Ontario Photo Card to consider.

you will run into a couple more bumps having an OOP health card which may involve it being not taken.

Most of the provinces will freely let you use each other's health cards I believe. I have had no trouble using two different provinces health cards in two other provinces.

Yeah but Quebec likes to be different, so if you have a Quebec card it may not be accepted. 

Hello! 

For a driver's licence, assuming I won't be getting a car at any point, would this ever become an issue to have a non-ON card? It seems like it wouldn't, and I have my full licence, so this would be the equivalent of a "G" I'm guessing. Is there any need to have an ON licence if I'll be there but not driving? The site said 6 months was the max not to switch. I would still be able to use the card as ID, correct? I have no other photo ID so it's important for plane travel!

Okay so as someone with an ohip card moving to QC I should be working on that new health card pronto :S

Okay so as someone with an ohip card moving to QC I should be working on that new health card pronto :S

Yeah, it might be something to look into/ask your school about.

Granted, I lived there ~15 years ago and I was too young to remember details, but I do recall there being something about having to pay up-front

Archived