Premed 101 Forums

I Can Help Edit Your Personal Statement (If You Would Like) :)

Hey Everyone!

I meant to start this thread earlier...but I kept forgetting (I'm sorry! Especially to those applying to American schools right now!). Since I have some free time, I thought I'd help edit people's personal statements. I was very fortunate to know awesome friends (some were even completing a graduate degree in English!) to help edit my personal statement. So I think I know what is a good statement. To provide a bit of support for this claim....I was interviewed at several American schools, and more importantly at Western! I personally believed I would not have received those interviews invites if it wasn't for my personal statement. Therefore, if you would like, PM me your statements and I'll provide you (hopefully useful) feedback. :)

Good luck 2017 applicants!

Hey Everyone!

I meant to start this thread earlier...but I kept forgetting (I'm sorry! Especially to those applying to American schools right now!). Since I have some free time, I thought I'd help edit people's personal statements. I was very fortunate to know awesome friends (some were even completing a graduate degree in English!) to help edit my personal statement. So I think I know what is a good statement. To provide a bit of support for this claim....I was interviewed at several American schools, and more importantly at Western! I personally believed I would not have received those interviews invites if it wasn't for my personal statement. Therefore, if you would like, PM me your statements and I'll provide you (hopefully useful) feedback. :)

What  a great way to collect a good selection of ABSs/Personal Statements ! lol

What  a great way to collect a good selection of ABSs/Personal Statements ! lol

When I debated offering my help, I had feared receiving this type of comment as I am not a confrontational person. However, your comment made me realize that I had failed to address this very reasonable concern. In that sense, thank you raising this issue.

To everyone who is debating whether or not to take up my offer, you will have to decide whether or not to TRUST me. It is true that I have no way to prove to you that I will not share your statement other than typing to you that I will NOT share you statement to anyone else. Will you trust me or not? Your choice. I will respect it. Also, I have already been accepted to dental schools so you should not worry about my using your ideas!

To those who question my intentions, here are the two reasons I offered to help: 

1. From my experience, my school's support services/people did not help much. I found the greatest help from my friends (many who have already written personal statements), but I know not everyone has a friend like that. That is why I offered.

2. My biggest reason is that I want to help others achieve their dream just as those friends I mentioned above helped me. This is my small attempt to give back to everyone that supported me. (The greatest joy I hope to receive from doing this is that I hear back from those I helped that my support helped them achieve their dream. So hint hint...message me if you get accepted! Haha xP)

If you still don't trust me, you still have a lot of options (that does not involve me)! :) Here is my advice for you:

1. Speak with your school's support staff (ie career's office staff members)

2. Speak with your professors, TAs....(Basically anyone who applied to graduate programs because they would have written a personal statement.)

3. Speak to friends! :) English majors would be a bonus! Current dental/medical students would be really good editors!

I hope this conveys my sincerity. Thank you for reading all this and good luck applicants!

-shm

Hey Everyone!

That's really a nice thing of you to do, if I don't make this cycle I will definitely message you when next year's application cycle starts, thanks for the offer and congrats on getting accepted! :)

What a great way to collect a good selection of ABSs/Personal Statements ! lol

I honestly see no bad intention here. OP has already gotten accepted at a number of dental schools so there's really no point of doing this to collect other people's stories. Besides, as someone who was also accepted this year, I, too, want to help other applicants with their application. I wouldn't have done it without the help of upper years so it's only fair for me to return the favours to new applicants.

I honestly see no bad intention here. OP has already gotten accepted at a number of dental schools so there's really no point of doing this to collect other people's stories. Besides, as someone who was also accepted this year, I, too, want to help other applicants with their application. I wouldn't have done it without the help of upper years so it's only fair for me to return the favours to new applicants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

Firstly, I want to thank uoft2020, knrosh93, and those who sent me supportive PMs. If it were not for you guys, my offer to help may have ceased (online at least haha :P). So thank YOU! You rock :D. Also, thank you knrosh93 for offering your time too! I hope we can continue building a supportive group of editors :D.

Secondly, I completely understand that many people lie on the internet and that will lead some to rightfully believe that I am lying as well. Though it does hurt me that my honesty is being questioned, I accept that this would happen on an online forum. Now if you know me in person and still question my honesty, I would be really hurt!  :mad: I could always reveal who I am and then you will know I am telling the truth, but I do not wish to reveal myself. So only time will show you that I am seriously not lying.

Lastly, let's try to turn this back to a positive thread! I noticed after receiving some questions that some people may not know how to start a personal statement. Therefore, I am currently contemplating on deconstructing my own statement and creating a rough template to help you get started. Let me know if you are interested in this and I will get working!

Thank you again for the support! And as always, good luck applicants!

When I debated offering my help, I had feared receiving this type of comment as I am not a confrontational person. However, your comment made me realize that I had failed to address this very reasonable concern. In that sense, thank you raising this issue.

To everyone who is debating whether or not to take up my offer, you will have to decide whether or not to TRUST me. It is true that I have no way to prove to you that I will not share your statement other than typing to you that I will NOT share you statement to anyone else. Will you trust me or not? Your choice. I will respect it. Also, I have already been accepted to dental schools so you should not worry about my using your ideas!

To those who question my intentions, here are the two reasons I offered to help: 

1. From my experience, my school's support services/people did not help much. I found the greatest help from my friends (many who have already written personal statements), but I know not everyone has a friend like that. That is why I offered.

2. My biggest reason is that I want to help others achieve their dream just as those friends I mentioned above helped me. This is my small attempt to give back to everyone that supported me. (The greatest joy I hope to receive from doing this is that I hear back from those I helped that my support helped them achieve their dream. So hint hint...message me if you get accepted! Haha xP)

If you still don't trust me, you still have a lot of options (that does not involve me)! :) Here is my advice for you:

1. Speak with your school's support staff (ie career's office staff members)

2. Speak with your professors, TAs....(Basically anyone who applied to graduate programs because they would have written a personal statement.)

3. Speak to friends! :) English majors would be a bonus! Current dental/medical students would be really good editors!

I hope this conveys my sincerity. Thank you for reading all this and good luck applicants!

-shm

With all due respect, I don't buy it, but it's just my opinion ! 

Quick update:

1. I've been asked by multiple times how to start writing a personal statement (PS) or what to write. So in an attempt to save everyone time (Mainly my time though :P I guess I'm already getting lazy haha), I'm going to copy and paste my general response.
I believe there are four basic questions that you should address in your personal statement. The questions are:

i) Why dentistry?
ii) What experience/skills you have that will make you suitable student to endure dental school and be a good dentist?
iii) Why should the school choose you? So in other words, what makes you unique?

iv) What are your future goals/aspirations upon becoming a dentist?

2. Regarding my ways of editing a PS, I will NOT edit grammar, diction...etc. Firstly, because I'm not an English major so I don't feel like I have the suitable credentials to make those judgment calls. Secondly, your diction, writing style...etc makes your writing you. If I were to provide you with my suggestions, I fear I may change your style to mine. If you would like help in those aspects of your PS, I recommend you book an appointment with your school's writing center. What I WILL EDIT is your content. For example, the placement, the relevance, and the suitability of your content. Without explaining what I've already read, I'll say this. Please make sure you do not mention things that you are legally not allowed to do. I don't care if your dentist gave you permission or that the patient provided his/her consent. Remember the rules and your position. I understand some experiences sound really cool and may demonstrate the extent of your experience, but if it's illegal, don't mention it. That's why it is really important you have a trusted dental student look over your PS as non-dental students may not catch onto those mistakes.

3. I will edit all PS that I receive before August 26. Anything I receive between August 27-September 5, I might edit, but I make no guarantees (let's see how tiring O-week will be :P). Anything I receive during the school year (September 6-May 31), I will NOT edit, but I will continue to answers questions though! For those not applying yet, my offer to help will continue every summer break so long as I remain active on these forums. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck applicants! :D

There's no need to go around calling people liars. We're all smart enough to make our own decisions. If you want to send in your personal statement go for it, if not then move right on.

I agree :)

Thank you for offering to do this shm, this is is such a great and selfless thing do! :) And such a good opportunity, especially because of how new this whole personal statement thing is (atleast for dental school in Ontario) :)  

• 10 months later...

Resurrecting this thread since I am still somewhat active on these forums! My offer will stand for this summer. Please read the above posts before you asking you questions. Thanks and good luck 2018 applicants!!

• 5 months later...

Archived