Premed 101 Forums

Cvpn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CVPN is up on the McGill website. Looks like the questions are the same as last year's.

Having them the same makes this much harder! I applied last year and was interviewed, but only made the WL. I spent a lot of time on these questions and was happy with my answers. Rewriting seems a shame, because my best examples I've already used. But applying with the same content doesn't seem like a good idea either. Thoughts, anyone?

Having them the same makes this much harder! I applied last year and was interviewed, but only made the WL. I spent a lot of time on these questions and was happy with my answers. Rewriting seems a shame, because my best examples I've already used. But applying with the same content doesn't seem like a good idea either. Thoughts, anyone?

I would say to use the same answers - when reviewed, the applications are all blinded to the readers and they have different people reading different questions so it is very much likely that someone completely different ends up reviewing your application this year. Even if the same person was to end up reading you application it is unlikely that they would remember that it is what you wrote to begin with.

I went through the same thing and tbh if it worked before why change it. They don't track or compare your application to last year's, don't feel obliged to change it just because it is a new cycle, you might end up making it worse unintentionally. Look it over, and if you still like your answers use them again, if you feel like you want to change them then do it! No hard rule here, do whatever you feel like doing, but don't feel the need to change it just because it is a new cycle. 

You can reuse the same essays. A friend of a friend submitted the same essays two years in a row, and got in on the second try. They expect you to put your best material forward - if that's your best material, don't mess with it. You're more likely to do yourself a disservice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Same dilemma over here. I applied last year but was rejected post-interview due to science pre reqs. I placed 2nd quartile for gpa ranking and 3rd quartile for cvpn pre-interview, not sure if the cvpn is going to be enough to get an interview this year

Pardon me for my ignorance, but how do you know about your GPA and CVPN ranking? I thought the admission office didn't reveal such info!

Pardon me for my ignorance, but how do you know about your GPA and CVPN ranking? I thought the admission office didn't reveal such info!

If you email admissions after a refusal, they will give you feedback which consists of an academic (GPA), non-academic (CVPN), and overall ranking relative to the other candidates in your application pool. If you are refused post-interview, they will also give you your post-interview and science prerequisite rankings. They won't give any more details than that, though.

If you email admissions after a refusal, they will give you feedback which consists of an academic (GPA), non-academic (CVPN), and overall ranking relative to the other candidates in your application pool. If you are refused post-interview, they will also give you your post-interview and science prerequisite rankings. They won't give any more details than that, though.

Nice, I thought this was only for candidates who got interviewed! Thanks for the info :)

Archived