Premed 101 Forums

New Computer For Med School?

Hi all, 

I was hoping to get some advice form upper year students about computer requirements for the program. I am looking to get a new computer for school. Not a huge fan of the Surface and I really love my Mac right now. Would I be okay with a Mac or are there PC-only programs? 

Any special processing or storage requirements?

Thanks! :) 

I love my MacBook Air. There was never anything I couldn't do that I wanted to. The only thing to consider is that there are lots of digital resources that will be shared with you during orientation week, so if you want to keep those on your computer keep that in mind when thinking about drive size, but those can also easily be stored on an external drive. Honestly, all I use my laptop for is surfing the internet, Word/Excel, and reading textbooks - no heavy usage. So get whatever you want :)

I do not attend McMaster, but a general advice is to upgrade to SSD hard drive, which will improve your computer speed substantially in most cases.

Agreed. It always surprises people who don't know much about computers when i show them how (for general use) my Air actually runs/opens programs notably faster than their more expensive 2K macbook Pro does. But they just bought the Pro thinking more expensive meant it would be faster at everything :P

Archived