Premed 101 Forums

What Is Your Study Schedule Like?

I've done a bit of searching around the forum, but most threads seem to discuss methods rather than schedules, so I figured I'd ask this question for the current pre-clerks out there: what is your study schedule like? Do you set aside time every night to review your notes and study actively or do you do most of your studying on the weekends and just take/organize notes throughout the week?

Honestly, the more specific, the better. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what my days will look like once I start, so any amount of information is helpful. :)

Everyone and every program is different. I know people who will work all day every day including weekends, and those who may only start to work/study in the week or two before a test. It really depends on how you best learn and what works for you. One thing that is for sure though, is that the pure amount of volume will force you to make some adjustments from your undergrad studying habits. 

Personally, I review my notes for 2-3 hours per night after a full day of class, depending on how many lectures/how much material we have.  I will take usually 1 night off per week to go out or just relax. Thats a mental health day :). My weekends are for catchup. Whatever I don't get done during the week, I finish on the weekends. This usually means anywhere between 3-5 hours on a weekend, either over one day or two (more if I decide to slack during the week, less if I'm ambitious). These get way ramped up in the week or so before an exam where I study for all but sleep.

However, it's important not to go crazy. You still need free time and a chance to relax and have fun. I think I have a pretty good balance, which is helped by a group of friends with similar philosophies. I think most of the time I do more than them, but that's because I find I need more review.

Same with my PBL program, there's a lt of variation. We hardly have lecture classes, it's mainly self studying and small group review of the material. I know people (although few) that studyfrom 8am to 10pm all year round (with breaks in there I'm sure). I also know others that spend only around 20hrs of studying total in a week. In both groups, there are smart and slow students...so it's very hard to gage your future schedule. Probably best if you could get some study time averages from Dal students, a little more predictive

Archived