Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hopefullyDr

Gpa And Mcat Scores To Get An Interview As An Oop (Ontario)

Hey, so I know that as an OOP, only the GPA and MCAT scores determine getting an interview. Also, I called and they told me that 125 on each section of the MCAT is considered competitive (seems low but I will take that). So Is it safe to conclude that a 125 or a bit higher in each section + a good GPA will get an OOP student an interview? or not that simple.
Myself:

MCAT: written last year (not happy with it), rewriting it this summer (optimistic) :D
GPA: approx. 3.95-3.96, MUN gpa : 92 or 93%
ECs: Average to above average 

Year: going into 4th UG

First time applying to memorial and would appreciate any insights?

I applied with a GPA close to yours and with a 98th percentile MCAT from Ontario and will be starting there this fall. I think you should be fine as long as you ace that MCAT. Then again, it's somewhat of a black box.

Thanks and congratulations. Best of luck with your new journey. 

I will do my best to ace the MCAT and hope for the best, and ya I agree, that black box is haunting premeds lol

This is a bit off-topic, but how did you go about calculating your MUN gpa in percentage? I have been using the grading system linked to here: http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx going from my overall yearly gpa out of 4.0 and seeing what that corresponds to in percentage, but in doing it that way I don't see how it would be possible to have any score in the 90's other than 95 (though I think I must be doing it wrong!)

This is a bit off-topic, but how did you go about calculating your MUN gpa in percentage? I have been using the grading system linked to here: http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx going from my overall yearly gpa out of 4.0 and seeing what that corresponds to in percentage, but in doing it that way I don't see how it would be possible to have any score in the 90's other than 95 (though I think I must be doing it wrong!)

I think they way u do it is to convert each letter grade to a percentage and then find the average for that year. For e.g. if you had 4 A+'s and 1 A, then your GPA would be (4(95)+87/5). Does that make sense? 

I think they way u do it is to convert each letter grade to a percentage and then find the average for that year. For e.g. if you had 4 A+'s and 1 A, then your GPA would be (4(95)+87/5). Does that make sense? 

It does, except for not accounting for the different weight/number of credit hours of each course (in other words, a 6ch course should have more weight than a 2ch course but I'm not sure how to include that in the conversion). 

It does, except for not accounting for the different weight/number of credit hours of each course (in other words, a 6ch course should have more weight than a 2ch course but I'm not sure how to include that in the conversion). 

Good point, I am not sure actually. In my program, all courses are 3 credits, you should just email them and ask.