Premed 101 Forums

Cpr Provider Frustrations

I'm entering first year, and finding myself a bit frustrated after having taken the required CPR - HCP course through the Heart and Stroke Foundation. I only just realized after looking at my card that the cert. expires after only one year, instead of the two required by the schools. I suppose that I should have looked into it more thoroughly, but since it had the right title and the exact same description as the course provided by the Red Cross, I really had no reason to suspect that the certification period might be shorter. Anyways, just a heads up for anyone booking their courses over the summer not to waste a weekend and 150 bones.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm wondering why anyone would take the course through the Heart and Stroke Foundation, when the Red Cross seemingly offers the exact same course (description, length, certification) but with a certification that's valid for two years. Is this something that's well known, and I'm just a big dum dum?

I'm entering first year, and finding myself a bit frustrated after having taken the required CPR - HCP course through the Heart and Stroke Foundation. I only just realized after looking at my card that the cert. expires after only one year, instead of the two required by the schools. I suppose that I should have looked into it more thoroughly, but since it had the right title and the exact same description as the course provided by the Red Cross, I really had no reason to suspect that the certification period might be shorter. Anyways, just a heads up for anyone booking their courses over the summer not to waste a weekend and 150 bones.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm wondering why anyone would take the course through the Heart and Stroke Foundation, when the Red Cross seemingly offers the exact same course (description, length, certification) but with a certification that's valid for two years. Is this something that's well known, and I'm just a big dum dum?

150 bucks?

Courses out here are 50 bucks for the main cert, and then 40$ for recerts that you do once a year.

I wonder if that's a change.  I did mine right before my first year of medical school at Western and I didn't renew it until after second year as far as I can remember.  Then that one lasted until I did my ACLS after 4th year.

Archived