Premed 101 Forums

Ireland Dental

Hi all,

Has anyone ever applied to and been accepted to Irish Dental schools?
What bank did you go to.

I turned down an American school interview this winter as it was too expensive and I needed a super wealthy cosigner in Canada just incase I skipped the country never to return :)

IF anyone has any help or advice please shoot it by me

Thank you

Hi all,

Has anyone ever applied to and been accepted to Irish Dental schools?

What bank did you go to.

I turned down an American school interview this winter as it was too expensive and I needed a super wealthy cosigner in Canada just incase I skipped the country never to return :)

IF anyone has any help or advice please shoot it by me

Thank you

Make sure there is reciprocity with the irish dental schools and Canada.

I know US and Australia have reciprocity, but not sure about ireland.

Ireland is still expensive, but maybe not as bad as US?

I was accepted to Cork in Ireland this year but turned it down after being accepted to Canadian schools.

It Cork and Dublin do have a reciprocal agreement.

You do need a cosigner for loans to go to Ireland for the same reason as the USA. I fortunately did not have to look any further into loans for Ireland but most banks are similar in that sense.

I know scotiabank will do it with a cosigner but not sure of specifics.

A buddy of mine was accepted to Cork this year as well and is currently working with CIBC with a cosigner but will attempt scotiabank if CIBC falls through.

I'm studying at Trinity. There are around 10 Canadians in each year at Trinity so they do accept Canadians :) !

Ireland and Canada have a reciprocal agreement.

It is less expensive to go to Ireland than the States (tuition is around 46,000 Canadian a year). 

I got my loan from BMO but most of my classmates are with CIBC. 

Feel free to ask me any questions !

I'm studying at Trinity. There are around 10 Canadians in each year at Trinity so they do accept Canadians :) !

Ireland and Canada have a reciprocal agreement.

It is less expensive to go to Ireland than the States (tuition is around 46,000 Canadian a year). 

I got my loan from BMO but most of my classmates are with CIBC. 

Feel free to ask me any questions !

How much are your living expenses per year?

What were your stats when you got accepted? GPA, DAT?

How many years at university did you have completed before you started dental school at trinity?

Is there an interview required?

When did you apply? When did you get an admission offer? How much was the deposit?

if you get into the 4 year program, the tuition fee will be around 44,000 euros, I believe the stat that trinitydent has provided is regarding the 5 year program. :)

Trinity has 5 year program

cork has 4 or 5 year program depending on which one you get accepted to - but regardless 4 or 5 years, you will end up paying same tuition fee...

My stats for my offer to cork were roughly 3.9 GPA, 21 AA, 19 PAT, 27 Reading, 26 Carving.

I can't remember what they looked at but you can apply through the Atlantic Bridge if you google it.

There was miminum of 2 references needed, one being a professor/teacher.

There was no interview for me or my buddy.

We recieved notification of acceptance around mid april I believe.

We both applied around november I think but I believe their applications ran from octoberish until nearly april.

We both had bachelor's degrees (4 years) completed.

Most of the differences for 5 or 4 year programs were the prerequisites you are applying with. They like anatomy or physiology for the 4 year program but their website is more specific.

The deposit was $6000 CAD, so roughly 4500 euros but I can't remember exactly.

Sorry for all the rough estimates. All my info is packed up as I am moving.

Hopefully Trinity can answer more specifics, otherwise your best option is to check out ATLANTIC BRIDGE website.

Just know that the reciprical agreememt for Ireland is up fpr review in 2017. It is unlikely that things will change between our countries but you never know for sure.

I was accepted to Cork in Ireland this year but turned it down after being accepted to Canadian schools.

You do need a cosigner for loans to go to Ireland for the same reason as the USA. I fortunately did not have to look any further into loans for Ireland but most banks are similar in that sense.

A buddy of mine was accepted to Cork this year as well and is currently working with CIBC with a cosigner but will attempt scotiabank if CIBC falls through.

Does a reciprocal agreement mean that you are guaranteed to be able to practice in Canada upon graduating (unlike for medicine where you have to secure a Canadian residency position first)?

I got accepted to Trinity/Cork this cycle in mid April but decided to let it go. My DAT scores weren't required and my cGPA was 3.74. I applied in late Jan and there was no interview process..only an essay, application form and 2 references. Check out this link for people who are interested in applying: http://www.atlanticbridge.com/dentistry/

Does a reciprocal agreement mean that you are guaranteed to be able to practice in Canada upon graduating (unlike for medicine where you have to secure a Canadian residency position first)?

From what I was told, you are eligible to write the NDEB licensing exam upon completion of the program in Ireland. Once you pass the exam, you can practice general dentistry in Canada. 

Make sure there is reciprocity with the irish dental schools and Canada.

I know US and Australia have reciprocity, but not sure about ireland.

Ireland is still expensive, but maybe not as bad as US?

should probably do some research before posting.

How much are your living expenses per year?

Estimates of living expenses are 50 euros a month for transport, 700 euros a month for rent, and food is around 30 euros a week. 

What were your stats when you got accepted? GPA, DAT?

Everyone in my class has completed a four year degree. They don't look at your DAT scores. In terms of GPA they look at the entire application not just your grades. I don't know my exact GPA. I think most of us had high 80's / low 90 averages (most of us were invited to interviews at dental schools in Canada). 

Is there an interview required?

There is no interview required for Trinity or Cork. 

When did you apply? When did you get an admission offer? How much was the deposit?

I applied in November and got my acceptance at the end of March/ beginning of April. I think the deposit was around 9,000 euros however I can't remember for sure. 

The agreement is up for review in 2017 but we've been told that it is highly unlikely they will end it.  You can write the NDEB licensing exam after you graduate and then practice in Canada. I have heard that around 10 students from Trinity wrote it last year and I'm pretty sure they all passed. 

Hope that helps :) !

I know that the 4 year program at Cork requires Anatomy as one of the prerequisites. Can you fill this requirement by completing anatomy by September 1st of the year of entry (so after you get accepted), or does it have to be completed earlier?

I would email the Atlantic Bridge Program and ask them.

Just FYI, Cork doesn't accept very many students into the 4 year program. Most of the students they do accept into the 4 year program have a masters. 

I got accepted to Trinity/Cork this cycle in mid April but decided to let it go. My DAT scores weren't required and my cGPA was 3.74. I applied in late Jan and there was no interview process..only an essay, application form and 2 references. Check out this link for people who are interested in applying: http://www.atlanticbridge.com/dentistry/

From what I was told, you are eligible to write the NDEB licensing exam upon completion of the program in Ireland. Once you pass the exam, you can practice general dentistry in Canada. 

did you get into the 4 year program at cork? Or just the 5 year?

Just FYI, Cork doesn't accept very many students into the 4 year program. Most of the students they do accept into the 4 year program have a masters. 

Hmm ok, do you think it would be worth it to take a tougher schedule next year in order to fulfill the anatomy prerequisite (my GPA is ~3.8, strong references)? 

Do they give preference to certain type of masters over others? i.e. any specific subjects or coursework vs research etc. 

I got accepted to the 5 year program while my buddy got into the 4 year program. Both at Cork. We both have very similar stats, only real difference was that I did not have any anatomy or human physiology to cover their prerequisites for the 4 year program.

What is nice is that the total tuition costs the same whether you do the 4 or 5 year program. If you are accepted to the 5 year program you just pay less per year than the 4 year program.

I decided to stay in Canada mostly because I had options. The difference in money wasn't too insane but when considering being in school during the 5th year vs practicing after a 4 year program makes the "cost" fairly large

There isn't an interview but they do require letters of recommendation/ personal statements. 

You can get accepted into the 4 year program at Cork with just a bachelors but most people have a masters. My friend is in the four year program and got accepted with just a bachelors however she said she is the only one in her year with just a bachelors. I am not sure if they care what your masters program you are in. 

I'm in the 5 year program at Trinity. 1st year is a bit of review of undergrad as the Irish students are coming straight out of "high-school". In first year you take physics, chemistry, anatomy, dental anatomy, histology, physiology, microbiology, healthcare economics, professional development, and immunology. Trinity doesn't give you any exemptions from courses versus Cork does. Trinity also uses a PBL style of teaching so we teach ourselves a lot of the material and have very few hours of lecture per week. However, we spend hours reading textbooks and making our own notes as they don't give you any notes/ lecture slides to study from. For anyone who is coming to Ireland next year just know that a 60 is a good grade and rarely students get in the 80's.

its not easy at all. I got rejected from Irish schools but got offers from American schools.

I don't think it is that "easy" to get into Irish Dental Schools. I know people who were accepted at Western and rejected from Ireland. They are just looking for different types of applicants. 

I got accepted to the 5 year program while my buddy got into the 4 year program. Both at Cork. We both have very similar stats, only real difference was that I did not have any anatomy or human physiology to cover their prerequisites for the 4 year program.

What is nice is that the total tuition costs the same whether you do the 4 or 5 year program. If you are accepted to the 5 year program you just pay less per year than the 4 year program.

I decided to stay in Canada mostly because I had options. The difference in money wasn't too insane but when considering being in school during the 5th year vs practicing after a 4 year program makes the "cost" fairly large

how did you get into a canadian school without physiology? this one rules you out of UofT and at UWO, you have to write a test and get a certain score...right?

Archived