Premed 101 Forums

Applying In First Year Of Masters? (Likely Dumb Question)

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to apply to Dal for this cycle, but I am going into the first year of a two year masters program.

Under the primary application (for lack of a better non american term) it requires us to (truthfully) enter our current university program, but also indicates that it must be complete before entering the program... 

... This is a bit of a pickle for me, I understand that this is like a solid rule, but can't understand why in all honesty? I feel like I am being penalized for not turning down my MSc. offer since I would have a hassle-free application if I had. 

I also realize I can't lie on the application, although I was tempted to submit it as such - is their any implications to doing the so (or ways that Dal would find out?) - like a black-listing etc.? 

I would gladly drop my program for an admission. 

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to apply to Dal for this cycle, but I am going into the first year of a two year masters program.

Under the primary application (for lack of a better non american term) it requires us to (truthfully) enter our current university program, but also indicates that it must be complete before entering the program... 

... This is a bit of a pickle for me, I understand that this is like a solid rule, but can't understand why in all honesty? I feel like I am being penalized for not turning down my MSc. offer since I would have a hassle-free application if I had. 

I also realize I can't lie on the application, although I was tempted to submit it as such - is their any implications to doing the so (or ways that Dal would find out?) - like a black-listing etc.? 

I believe the rule is in place to prevent you from doing exactly what you're planning on doing unfortunately hah. It's quite common for students to enter into MSc programs to make themselves more competitive for med school, with the intention of immediately dropping out if given a med school seat (I know a couple people who have done this).

This gives the supervising MSc professor the short end of the stick as they've wasted a year-ish training a new researcher, so it's probably a mix of academic ethics, showing commitment to something you've agreed to etc. - some schools have this rule, other's don't. 

Hi everyone,

Nope,they're pretty clear about the requirement to complete your degree prior to beginning. Pretty consistent policy across Canadian schools. They will find ask for completion of the degree, and if you did lie and were caught, you could find yourself in a very. very bad situation. One that might not involve medical school.....which probably isn't something you want to risk. 

Like nicely described above, it's to prevent the supervisor from being left with wasted $$ on an incomplete project.

Not sure if the rules have changed this year, but I definitely know of 2 people who  started a pharmacy degree at Dal ( within the last year) and dropped out after 1st year as they were accepted to Dal med.

Also, I know someone from my town who dropped out of the masters program after being accepted at U of Ottawa. 

There was also a physician who was accepted into another professional program and dropped it at the end of first or second year, however this would have been several years ago. 

I'd still recommend contacting the schools to find out just incase the rules changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived