Premed 101 Forums

Is It Worth It To Apply To Queens?

Hello cool, smart people. 

I'm an Albertan with a 3.71 OMSAS GPA over four years (worked it out last year) and I have a 521 MCAT (132/126/131/132). 

My ECs are decent. I'd probably throw them in as roughly average for the accepted applicant. 

I was just-wondering if this is anywhere close to what Queens wants from students-- cuz I'm not applying to any other Ontario schools (fucking CARS) and I don't know if it's worth it to go through the whole OMSAS thing just to make one application to Queens. 

Cheers!

I think it's worth a shot! You have a decent chance! My friend applied with 125 for CARS, and she got an interview! I believe her overall score is 515! Although her ECs are above average and her cGPA is 3.8+.

Interesting. If there's a couple posters here who don't think 3.71 is prohibitively low, I'll give it a shot

Queen's only uses your last 2 years if that's better for you. I would apply if I were you! 

Oh dang, no way. My cGPA is a 3.75 here at the U of A, but it went like 3.64 -->3.72--> 3.71--->3.89. My last year had only 9 courses instead of 10 though. 

I'll need to recalculate it. Interesting though. Do they take people below 3.8s though? 

Oh dang, no way. My cGPA is a 3.75 here at the U of A, but it went like 3.64 -->3.72--> 3.71--->3.89. My last year had only 9 courses instead of 10 though. 

I'll need to recalculate it. Interesting though. Do they take people below 3.8s though? 

Queen's is not like Western where you need to have 5 courses per semester (Queens only require 3 courses/term, so 6 courses/year)!  Your most recent two years is around 3.80 though. So, I think you should really consider applying :)

Queen's is not like Western where you need to have 5 courses per semester (Queens only require 3 courses/term, so 6 courses/year)!  Your most recent two years is around 3.80 though. So, I think you should really consider applying :)

I figure when it gets converted to the OMSAS GPA it'll probably drop into the 7s, but you do raise a pretty good point :P 

Shoot. I guess I'll have to apply then. Thanks so much for the help guys! Lemme know if any of y'all snagged a Queens spot with a GPA below 3.8

If you take a look at the Interview Invites and the Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected threads you can see the different GPA/MCAT/EC combos that got interviews/acceptances. I think there are several with cGPAs within the 3.7s and/or wGPAs < 3.8. Either way, I think you should apply - you honestly never know. I was planning on not applying to any school this past cycle because I thought that there was absolutely zero chance of getting an interview, so just give it a shot if money isn't a huge issue!

Hello cool, smart people. 

I'm an Albertan with a 3.71 OMSAS GPA over four years (worked it out last year) and I have a 521 MCAT (132/126/131/132). 

My ECs are decent. I'd probably throw them in as roughly average for the accepted applicant. 

I was just-wondering if this is anywhere close to what Queens wants from students-- cuz I'm not applying to any other Ontario schools (fucking CARS) and I don't know if it's worth it to go through the whole OMSAS thing just to make one application to Queens. 

Cheers!

Hey! I think you should apply to Queens for sure. There is definitely a chance if your ECs are good. Also, if you would consider adding other OMSAS schools, I would consider Ottawa and U of T. Ottawa is wants you to submit the mcat but is not including it in its evaluation this year and U of T has 125 cutoffs so its worth a shot there too. Plus these schools use a wGPA, so your gpa is probably higher than 3.71 at these schools. Good luck!

Sorry for stealing your thread but I'm wondering the same :P

I'm a BC resident with 3.80 (3.82/3.68/3.94) going to 4th year. MCAT 507 (131/124CARS/127/125). 

I have decent ECs. Should I bother applying?

If you think your ECs are good, then you should apply! Plus, it seems like your cGPA is considered competitive. Go for it! 

If you think your ECs are good, then you should apply! Plus, it seems like your cGPA is considered competitive. Go for it! 

That's awesome to hear  :)

Does anyone else also think I might have a decent shot at queens? I don't want to spend $$ on something impossible haha.

Recap: 

BC resident

3.81 GPA

507 MCAT (131/124/127/125)

pretty amazing ECs i think

That's awesome to hear  :)

Does anyone else also think I might have a decent shot at queens? I don't want to spend $$ on something impossible haha.

Recap: 

BC resident

3.81 GPA

507 MCAT (131/124/127/125)

pretty amazing ECs i think

Your CARS score is a bit low, not sure how that will favour for Queen's... I do know someone who got an interview with a 125 last year so take that if you may, if you have the money then go for it. I think the MCAT/GPA can be a bit lower if you have a MSc under your belt, if thats the case I'd deff toss one in, if you are just an UG.. probably not worth it IMO, but its your money, your decision

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same question, wondering if I should apply to Queens or not due to low MCAT

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 506 (Bio 128/ CP 127/ CARS 126, Psych 125)

ECs ok 

Depends really, are you IP, UG or MSc?

The only people I know who received interviews either had overall pretty good mcat scores (510+) or had MSc degrees and generally had a pretty good sketch.

Queen's is a blackbox so no one here can really tell you if you had a shot or not, of course if you had a slightly higher MCAT that would be more encouraging, however, there is always a shot.

If you have the $ then I'd say try it out and see what happens, if no... then re-write your MCAT

• 2 weeks later...

Archived