Premed 101 Forums

Minimum Weighted Gpa For File Review

Sorry for another one of those questions on wGPA!

If my wGPA when applying is only around 3.75-3.76, should I just wait until after this coming year to apply, when my wGPA would be around 3.86 (which prob isn't still competitive but above the 'competitive 3.8')

I most likely wouldn't even get file review because I'm under 3.8 right? 

I'm going into 4th year undergrad - thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

What is the GPA for minimum file review as a grad applicant?

Lastly, are they still accepting the old mcat for this cycle?

Thanks

Emailed them and they said the minimum for a grad applicant with a research based degree is 3.0, however a 3.5 would be considered competitive (file review) for grads. 

I would recommend applying if you can afford it even if you have a gpa under 3.8 as an undergrad applicant (i.e. if you have 3.7+). I applied with a gpa of ~3.75 and while I did not get interviewed, I did not hear anything back until almost April, meaning I was likely on hold for an interview/ on an interview waitlist for a few months...

Is there a policy that 3.8 is required? My apologies but I have not kept up to date with admissions policies. When I applied three years ago there was no such strict cut off, just strong recommendations. I believe they recommended above 3.7 at the time. If there is no official policy I don't see the downside of applying if funds allow it.

Is there a policy that 3.8 is required? My apologies but I have not kept up to date with admissions policies. When I applied three years ago there was no such strict cut off, just strong recommendations. I believe they recommended above 3.7 at the time. If there is no official policy I don't see the downside of applying if funds allow it.

Uoft med has this new thing where they have created sort of a list serv where you have mentors that can answer your questions and they constantly send out emails for admissions related stuff like meeting doctors in particular specialties etc. I asked their administration about this 3.8 requirement and they said it's true. After the interview, you need somewhere around a 3.8 to get a file review.

EDIT: I'll quote my question and response I got from them here.

"Dear Ike

Hi! I am glad my submission found its way to you! I currently attend York University as an upcoming 3rd year Kinesiology and Health Science major. That is the equivalent of the Physical Education department at UofT. I have a question concerning things I have heard about the UofT admissions. I have heard that if your GPA is not 3.8 (cGPA or wGPA) then you do not even get a file review. I know their website says 3.6 is the cutoff but they get very ambiguous when they mention that 3.8 is considered a competitive GPA. This is simply a rumor that has started and I would like any confirmation."

"With regard to the GPA minimums, we have an official minimum of 3.6 for undergraduates but, in recent years, the volume of applications and competitive nature of the program mean that, in reality, the minimum GPA for undergraduate applicants that we currently consider is higher and, in recent years, has been around the 3.8 score.  This is not a rumour and is something we are quite open about as you can see from our website in the undergraduate applicant section below the table: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/academic-requirements

You can also review our published statistics here: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admission-statistics"

From any research I've done on this it seems pretty firm that a 3.8 is required for an undergrad applicant, in order to have their file reviewed. So from the way I understand it, they screen out everyone below 3.6, and then screen out those below 3.8, and then review files of everyone above it..

So am I wasting money if I apply with ~3.7 GPA? :(

Probably. Either do a 5th year or petition some grades off. If its all organic and nothing serious fucked with your academics, then you're really wasting your time with the UofT application. 

If you have extenuating circumstances, use the Academic Explanations essay to explain them. If you don't qualify for the wGPA scale, use the AE essay explain what happened and maybe why you should qualify for it. If it works out then you'll possibly be in the mix for an acceptance but if your life has been peachy perfect and the GPA truly reflects your capabilities then you're wasting your time. 

Probably. Either do a 5th year or petition some grades off. If its all organic and nothing serious fucked with your academics, then you're really wasting your time with the UofT application. 

If you have extenuating circumstances, use the Academic Explanations essay to explain them. If you don't qualify for the wGPA scale, use the AE essay explain what happened and maybe why you should qualify for it. If it works out then you'll possibly be in the mix for an acceptance but if your life has been peachy perfect and the GPA truly reflects your capabilities then you're wasting your time. 

Good to know. Thanks for giving it to me straight, Hammy.

Archived