Premed 101 Forums

A couple of my friends at SFU put their sorority and fraternity activities on there. I believe it can help. I do not believe your fraternity involvement should be a diversity in experience though. It's a waste of space for something else. You are already writing it as a leadership activity.

If you believe that the activity has helped shape you into who you are today, it is worthwhile to include. I added a few atypical entries this year and believe it enhanced my application. I would include your experience. Perhaps others can chime in?

There's no risk. If you have space put them in. If youre low on space, then prioritize other things. You aren't going to get dinged. You may just not get any points for the entry, but that's about it. I highly doubt they spend time thinking "hmm seems odd they put this here...maybe they're immature etc"

There's no risk. If you have space put them in. If youre low on space, then prioritize other things. You aren't going to get dinged. You may just not get any points for the entry, but that's about it. I highly doubt they spend time thinking "hmm seems odd they put this here...maybe they're immature etc"

Thank you :)

Ahh, well I was planning to mention my role as community service chairman under leadership, describing that role would like take up all the space in the leadership box. I was going to include it under diversity of experience just as an addition that show's an activity that enriches my life and has taught me a lot. Do you think then it could fall under diversity of experience? My social network was quite limited to a given type of people prior, now its a lot bigger...this is only one way in which being in a fraternity changed my lifestyle.

IMHO, I don't think "making friends" is a diverse activity. However, if you think that you learned a lot and grew from that experience, I don't think it will hurt your application.

I agree with what has been said. I wouldn't put the fraternity twice, unless you literally have nothing else to put in its place and you need to add an entry. You already recognize the stigma around a frat and you want to show you have been involved in a variety of diverse activities, and while it might have been a great experience you need to put yourself in the committees shoes, and think about all of the other diverse experiences you are up against with the 2000 plus people applying.

I think you can add a line in about diversity in the leadership entry. It is definitely all about how you also describe the entries though, but I would personally just stick with the one entry in the leadership category. 

It also might start to confuse them with hours if you start crossing over between hours as a leader in the frat versus hours just hanging at the frat. Just a thought...

Best of luck!

Also, in terms of helping your grandfather. I think that is an interesting idea that could definitely be put in the application. but hopefully the care went past the age of 12? If it did, i would include, but I believe their cut off is 16 or 17. I can't remember what it was last year and I haven't checked for this year as I am an older applicant and don't really have activities that span back that far. But if everything was before 12, I wouldn't include it.  If it goes much beyond that and into your young adult years, I think it is a much more interesting and relevant thing to include in comparison to the frat. 

Thank you for your advice, I agree :) And it was more constant care since I lived with him till age 12 but only periodic after that since I would only go back to my hometown in the summers :/ probably won't be able to include it.

It might still be worth including! If you have space, I would include it in a "Diversity" entry! Try to see how many entries you end up having and add it accordingly.

Good luck.

Archived