Premed 101 Forums

Course-Based Graduate Application Deadline

Hi All,

I am entering a one year course-based graduate program in September, which runs till August 2017. I was hoping to apply to UFT medicine this year and other Ontario schools this year for hopeful entry right after I finish (September 2017). However, after calling UFT this morning I found for students currently enrolled in a course-based graduate program, they need a letter from your program's office stating your expected completion date. It is not specified on this website that this date should be June 30th, I thought that deadline only applied to graduate applicants applying with a thesis-based Masters. Does anyone know more details about this? I know of students who graduated from my graduate program in 2015 and got into UFT the same year and did not get their application thrown out. Note: I am enrolled in Western's MPH program this year.

Should I apply anyways and send the letter with the date they expect me to finish and hope for the best for what they say and take the risk of getting my application thrown out, or am I shit out of luck. Its a shame as my classes will be done by June 30th, I would just have to finish my practicum over the summer and present it in mid-August before medical school, there's no complicated defense or write-up.

I think you will be fine. That deadline is mostly because thesis defences and submission can often get delayed time after time. With a course-based masters, there is no risk of running longer in the program than expected and so the same concern of just abandoning once you get accepted doesn't exist.

If you are concerned, just call them back and ask this question. They will give you an answer that is probably more helpful.

I think you will be fine. That deadline is mostly because thesis defences and submission can often get delayed time after time. With a course-based masters, there is no risk of running longer in the program than expected and so the same concern of just abandoning once you get accepted doesn't exist.

If you are concerned, just call them back and ask this question. They will give you an answer that is probably more helpful.

Hey, thanks for your reply! I called my Program Office and we are going to arrange it with UFT, similar to how they have done in the past with other students, in the chance I do get in. I probably should have inquired more over the phone like you said. All is good :)

I distinctly remember talking to someone who had done a full year course-based masters the year they applied during the interview day. They were a current student, and had no issues. I asked because I had applied to the same masters program as a plan-b for next year

Archived