Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Im Interviews

Hey all,

What are the odds of getting an interview at Toronto IM without doing an elective there? I've been trying to get a CTU elective there for ages now, but unfortunately their dates and my availability don't seem to overlap. I've asked for a subspecialty rotation instead (still awaiting their response), but am considering a CTU elective elsewhere (either Dalhousie or UAlberta). However, will this effectively put me out of the running for a Toronto IM interview? Appreciate anyone who has any insight weighing in - thanks!

I have not met anyone who got an interview (or matched) to UofT IM without doing an elective (in either CTU or subspecialty) here. In fact I know many people who did many electives at UofT (including UofT Med students) not even get interviews

I have not met anyone who got an interview (or matched) to UofT IM without doing an elective (in either CTU or subspecialty) here. In fact I know many people who did many electives at UofT (including UofT Med students) not even get interviews

Yeah, I had a feeling - the other thread also suggests something similar. It's been tough this year to get a 2 week visiting elective on CTU at Toronto, this my second application lol (though I'm not really surprised that it's tough to get).

I guess I'll hold out for a subspecialty in Toronto - any suggestions (are you a current TO IM resident)? I am currently waiting to hear back about Nephro or Heme. Medicine subspecialties I've done so far in clerkship are Gastro, ICU, ID and Cardio, so ideally trying to do something I haven't done before. Trying to get something with a decent inpatient experience as opposed to landing in a highly specialized clinic or something along those lines.

I think that the point of matching to your top choice is to do your elective there, show your interest and get LOR from the people well respected and known by the selection committee.

People tend to trust the stuff physicians' opinions that they have worked with or heard of. 

To the OP, I had 2 friends who had interviews at UofT IM without any IM electives at UofT. However, they did surgery electives at UofT (I don't know if it helped?)

I think that the point of matching to your top choice is to do your elective there, show your interest and get LOR from the people well respected and known by the selection committee.

People tend to trust the stuff physicians' opinions that they have worked with or heard of. 

To the OP, I had 2 friends who had interviews at UofT IM without any IM electives at UofT. However, they did surgery electives at UofT (I don't know if it helped?)

Interesting. I'm guessing they were backing up IM with surgery as their first choice?

For one yes, and for one no. One had all his electives in surgery, and he still got the interview with internists LOR not from UofT. 

The point is, if you are a strong candidate who stands out in the crowd. UofT IM will give you an interview to not miss a great candidate

I hope that you will get your heme or nephro elective  :)

Interesting. I'm guessing they were backing up IM with surgery as their first choice?

Yeah, I had a feeling - the other thread also suggests something similar. It's been tough this year to get a 2 week visiting elective on CTU at Toronto, this my second application lol (though I'm not really surprised that it's tough to get).

I guess I'll hold out for a subspecialty in Toronto - any suggestions (are you a current TO IM resident)? I am currently waiting to hear back about Nephro or Heme. Medicine subspecialties I've done so far in clerkship are Gastro, ICU, ID and Cardio, so ideally trying to do something I haven't done before. Trying to get something with a decent inpatient experience as opposed to landing in a highly specialized clinic or something along those lines.

Yeah I'm a IM resident at UofT. Nephro or Heme would be fine. I haven't done those yet, but hear good things. Even if you can get a GIM Med consults that would be good too.

I would say people who get interviews in IM at UofT with NO elective at UofT in IM are extremely rare, especially last year (given people didn't get interviews that were med students AT UofT WITH electives), Was that last year or even before that? I would be willing to bet that they did no match to IM at UofT, but hey if they did good for them (although if they wanted surgery they probably dont see it that way ahah).

FYI things have changed over the last few years, with new comittee members/faculty involved and a new program director this year

One actually did match to IM at UofT, it was in 2015 though!

With the new program director and faculty selection committee, it might be different.

Yeah I'm a IM resident at UofT. Nephro or Heme would be fine. I haven't done those yet, but hear good things. Even if you can get a GIM Med consults that would be good too.

I would say people who get interviews in IM at UofT with NO elective at UofT in IM are extremely rare, especially last year (given people didn't get interviews that were med students AT UofT WITH electives), Was that last year or even before that? I would be willing to bet that they did no match to IM at UofT, but hey if they did good for them (although if they wanted surgery they probably dont see it that way ahah).

FYI things have changed over the last few years, with new comittee members/faculty involved and a new program director this year

Archived