Premed 101 Forums

How To Be Competitive As A Canadian Studying Abroad?

I will study medicine at NUIG  ( Ireland) starting this fall, and I am planning to shadow physicians for over 30 hours each Summer for the next 6 years. Would that be enough for CARMS/ Residency? What else should one be doing to be considered competitive?

No, shadowing is not very relevant.

You need to do clinical electives, and then get LORs.

I will study medicine at NUIG  ( Ireland) starting this fall, and I am planning to shadow physicians for over 30 hours each Summer for the next 6 years. Would that be enough for CARMS/ Residency? What else should one be doing to be considered competitive?

I would strongly consider doing research in a field of interest instead of shadowing. If you find a physician who you can do research with, it will be easy to find time to shadow them in the clinic. In general, shadowing is not very useful on your resume when applying to CaRMS, because you cannot actually do anything to patients no one can comment on your true clinical abilities, in addition when you are shadowing you will probably be early in your training so it is not useful for CaRMS. Shadowing is mainly useful to find out what you want to do specialty wise. 

With that being said, shadowing can be useful in building connections, but so can research. I would advise research because it is something that will probably help in some way for CaRMS. 

Archived