Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residency Situation 5

DocA

It is stated on the website ''Your parent/sponsor is not required to reside in Quebec for a minimum time before you may benefit from Quebec tuition rates''.

Does that mean if my dad moves to Quebec and obtains a RAMQ medicard, I become immediately eligible to apply to the faculty of medicine as a Quebec resident ?

It is stated on the website ''Your parent/sponsor is not required to reside in Quebec for a minimum time before you may benefit from Quebec tuition rates''.

Does that mean if my dad moves to Quebec and obtains a RAMQ medicard, I become immediately eligible to apply to the faculty of medicine as a Quebec resident ?

yes. I did exact same thing some years ago.

Are you sure oshaku ?

Because my dad is eligible to get a RAMQ card after living only 3 months in Quebec ?

You have a waiting period of 3 months to obtain the RAMQ card, but once you have it, there is no waiting period to obtain "Quebec resident" status for school.  

You don't specifically need RAMQ to prove situation 5.  You can replace it with 2 pieces of documents proving residency.. like a lease and the hydro bill.  Also no waiting period between submitting proof that your parent resides in Quebec this way and change in your residency status for school purposes.  

Can you be considered both Quebec and Ontario resident at the same time?

Yes you can be dual residents, but.... you can only have health coverage and valid driver's license from one province.  Meaning (if you're from Ontario), RAMQ will only start covering you if you cancel OHIP coverage, and if you want a valid Quebec driver's license, you have to surrender your Ontario license. 

For med school application purposes, for example, if you were born and lived your entire life up to high school London, Ontario, then your family moved to Quebec and you become Quebec resident after undergrad, you can apply as a quebec resident to McGill and a South Western Ontario applicant for Western for Med.  Another example.. if you were born in Quebec, then left before you were 1 year old and lived the rest of your life in BC, you are definitely eligible as a BC resident, but you can also apply as a Quebec resident to Quebec schools.   

Archived