Premed 101 Forums

My Second Carved Soap

I added a picture of my second soap carving and I just wanted to know what mark you think I would get. I know it's very hard to see the precision of the cuts etc but I just need an idea of what I'm working with. 

I also put my first soap (the cracked one) just so you can see the process. I think it's a good progression what do you think? 

I need a lot more practise though and if I were to grade my soap it would be in the 0-5 range...I have 10 more soaps to practise with though. 

I also used a paper towel to clean off/smoothen my soap is that allowed? I know the DAT provides one but can I just like apply pressure with it to my soap so it can flatten out some planes and clean off the excess? 

Note: It took me about an hour for each soap...I'm not too worried about time right now. 

Thanks. 

post-66848-0-32660000-1470850139_thumb.jpg

post-66848-0-65877200-1470850264_thumb.jpg

post-66848-0-11046600-1470850303_thumb.jpg

You're only allowed your blade to smoothen the soap, so practice that way!

The second soap is better in that it's intact, but there's a lot you should work on. A few things I can see (I'm gonna pick it apart - just so you can see what I mean): The surfaces aren't smooth, other than the saddle none of the planes look flat (look at how bumpy and scratchy your flute is), the edges are very rough, the edge at the base of the triangle is uneven. The notches in the saddle look good (sharp, 90 degrees), but the ones on the side of the triangle are off (use the corner of your ruler as a guide). And overall it doesn't look finished - it sort of looks like the gross carving is done and there has been no fine carving to make it look "neat" i.e. clean up your lines so the end sharply at the lines of your measurements and smoothing the surfaces. There's plenty of time until November so it's only going to get better!

You're only allowed your blade to smoothen the soap, so practice that way!

The second soap is better in that it's intact, but there's a lot you should work on. A few things I can see (I'm gonna pick it apart - just so you can see what I mean): The surfaces aren't smooth, other than the saddle none of the planes look flat (look at how bumpy and scratchy your flute is), the edges are very rough, the edge at the base of the triangle is uneven. The notches in the saddle look good (sharp, 90 degrees), but the ones on the side of the triangle are off (use the corner of your ruler as a guide). And overall it doesn't look finished - it sort of looks like the gross carving is done and there has been no fine carving to make it look "neat" i.e. clean up your lines so the end sharply at the lines of your measurements and smoothing the surfaces. There's plenty of time until November so it's only going to get better!

Yea, I need to practise a lot more but I feel like I won't get better since I don't have any "techniques". Did you use something to help you practise or was it all done by repetition? For example, I can't get my flute to smoothen out onto the surface on top and I can't get it to gradually get smaller. 

Do you think 10 more soaps to practise is enough and what would you give my soap based on experience? 

Thanks for the input it's really helping me out. 

Edit: And how do you clean your soap at the end? Like there's always residue that makes it look ugly, do they not put that into consideration? 

I remember there being a compilation of videos on YouTube that I used, but that was back in 2012! Wouldn't hurt to check though. Repetition isn't very useful if you're making the same mistakes, you'll be wasting your soap sticks. Since you're not too worried about your timing at this moment I'd suggest you experiment with blade positioning (angle and direction of the the blade relative to the plane) as well as pressure and speed of strokes to see what works for you when flattening/smoothening your planes. Given how much practice you need and the fact that you don't really know what works for you at this point I'd say you'll need more soaps after you're done these 10. Your soaps should look more like these come November, and I think there's a long way to go: https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/l/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12747597_225921381084074_1587049738_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE4NzI3MzU5MTUxNjA1NDQzMA%3D%3D.2

Regarding the residue: you can blow on it to get the dust off, and sure you can use your finger to if some of the flakes get stuck on your soap, but the invigilators can clearly see the difference between you using your fingers/paper towel to clean it up or using them to smoothen the surfaces.

I remember there being a compilation of videos on YouTube that I used, but that was back in 2012! Wouldn't hurt to check though. Repetition isn't very useful if you're making the same mistakes, you'll be wasting your soap sticks. Since you're not too worried about your timing at this moment I'd suggest you experiment with blade positioning (angle and direction of the the blade relative to the plane) as well as pressure and speed of strokes to see what works for you when flattening/smoothening your planes. Given how much practice you need and the fact that you don't really know what works for you at this point I'd say you'll need more soaps after you're done these 10. Your soaps should look more like these come November, and I think there's a long way to go: https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/l/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12747597_225921381084074_1587049738_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE4NzI3MzU5MTUxNjA1NDQzMA%3D%3D.2

Regarding the residue: you can blow on it to get the dust off, and sure you can use your finger to if some of the flakes get stuck on your soap, but the invigilators can clearly see the difference between you using your fingers/paper towel to clean it up or using them to smoothen the surfaces.

I think I know which compilation you're talking about, they kept 2 videos on youtube and they have you pay for the others now.....I think I'll be good without them. 

And I'll practise with the ones I have now but if they don't look like the ones in the picture after I'm done I'll be sure to buy more (they went up 10$ this year....everyone is money hungry these days!!). 

What would you give my soap out of 30 as it is now? 0-5 range? 

I recommend you refer to the grading criteria that the Canadian Dental Association will use to mark your soap. It'll definitely assist you in understanding where you want to be in terms of your soap carving.

Link: http://cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/mdt/

I would definitely look into buying more soaps. I can't begin to count how many soaps I have carved prior to being accepted. Honestly, its a worthy investment if you get in! Don't deny yourself of any resources you need in order to succeed. 

Hi Lemons, 

I saw that grading criteria but I didn't really understand how to read it. It doesn't say how much a "low score" or a "mid score" is in terms of numbers. 

However, I forgot to add that as of right now, I can only apply to dental schools in Quebec and they only ask for a 5/30 on the MDT, which is why I was asking to see if my carving was below a 5. 

What do you think? also, if you can help me with reading the grading criteria and what each scores mean, I would really appreciate it. 

The grading criteria can't provide you a score in numbers because the DAT is a standardized test. Your soap carving will be given a raw score but will be converted to a standardized score to reflect the skills and abilities of the applicant pool.  The standardized score of your soap carving is the number you'll see in your DAT report. 

I have no idea as to interpret a "low score" or a "mid score" but you can do some rough estimates. If you score high on each component of the grading criteria, then you'll end up with a raw score potentially ranging from 25-30 (top percentile).

Keep practicing your soap carving, I am confident you will be able to get 5/30 on the MDT on your DAT.  

The grading criteria can't provide you a score in numbers because the DAT is a standardized test. Your soap carving will be given a raw score but will be converted to a standardized score to reflect the skills and abilities of the applicant pool.  The standardized score of your soap carving is the number you'll see in your DAT report. 

I have no idea as to interpret a "low score" or a "mid score" but you can do some rough estimates. If you score high on each component of the grading criteria, then you'll end up with a raw score potentially ranging from 25-30 (top percentile).

Keep practicing your soap carving, I am confident you will be able to get 5/30 on the MDT on your DAT.  

I don't really know what to think. 

Some people I asked said you can bite chunks off the soap (not literally but you know what I mean) and get a 5/30 while others said it's actually not that easy and it has to be relatively good. 

That's why I'm trying to position where my soap is right now so I can see who's right. 

In the end though, I'll obviously just do my best and leave it at that. 

I can't tell for certain but it looks to me as though you may be trying to take to much off at once (I can't really judge your technique by the picture).

But, if you are not doing so already, forget about the time and take it very slow. Shave off the soap in very very tiny shavings and just keep working at it slowly until you finish. Whether it takes you 30 minutes or 90 minutes, just get a good feel for how to do it.

Also, for flutes, I found it beneficial to start near the end and work your way back to the saddle on your soap.

I agree with whats been said already in that your soap looks like a rough cut before any finishing has been done. I would recommend forgetting about your lines a bit on that one (or making new ones) and take your time smoothing that one out.

All in all though it looks similar to I think how most peoples first or second soaps look like. Keep practicing and you'll get there.

You are right, I took too much off at once for the flute and the saddle but only because i was trying to find ways to cut time. I'll try to not do that for a couple soaps just to get the hang of it though. 

I really need help with the flute: 

1) I tried doing what you mentioned, going from the end of the soap to the saddle but I can never get it to be even with the saddle, it always ends up a little shorter so there tends to be a small wall that I can't flatten out without extending the length of the flute. Do you understand what I mean? 

2)The end of the flute is supposed to be 5mm, 6mm, then 5mm but I swear when I measure the soap it's 15mm in diameter. What am I supposed to do?? I don't know from which measurement to take off the 1mm without it being too noticeable but it's not my fault! 

Now I didn't do super well on the carving (21, I suspect I squished the soap a bit while putting it in the container, oh well), but since the soaps were really expensive I made my own soaps instead. They felt quite similar to my soap on exam day. I first got a pack of soaps from CDA and made two (you can make more) molds with them using silicone caulk. Then you can pour in a mixture of melt and pour soap base and beeswax that you melted (over a double boiler, NOT microwave!) into the molds and push them out after an hour or so. use about a 3:1 ratio of beeswax to soap base.

Now I didn't do super well on the carving (21, I suspect I squished the soap a bit while putting it in the container, oh well), but since the soaps were really expensive I made my own soaps instead. They felt quite similar to my soap on exam day. I first got a pack of soaps from CDA and made two (you can make more) molds with them using silicone caulk. Then you can pour in a mixture of melt and pour soap base and beeswax that you melted (over a double boiler, NOT microwave!) into the molds and push them out after an hour or so. use about a 3:1 ratio of beeswax to soap base.

:o

Good thinking but I don't think I'll need to practise with more than 12 soaps to score a 5 on the MDT :P

Schools requiring merely 5/30 on the MDT test... man, really, what's the point of that? Seems like a waste of time and resources.  

"You've got a pair of functional hands and is capable of holding a blade? Come on in, it's dental school."

That's exactly what I thought when I read that too...they just wanted me to spend 500$.....

Archived