Premed 101 Forums

Are There Any Medschools That Accept Applicants From Non Science Backgrounds?

I graduated with a BA in psychology and have recently decided I'd like to pursure medicine (interested in psychiatry or possibly family medicine). I don't have a science background at all. I didn't take chemistry or physics in high school. I know McMaster accepts non science applicants and only the CARS section of the MCAT is looked at but I am not an Ontario resident so even though my GPA is high I think odds are slim.

Any other schools in Canada or even international/overseas that accept applicants from non science backgrounds/no MCAT?

I actually am studying psychology as well and have a minimal background in things like chemistry although I did take some in high school. As far as med schools in Canada go, I know that NOSM doesn't require the MCAT or a science degree but this is mainly for rural medicine and applicants tend to be from Northern Ontario. I've heard of a few people from rural communities outside of Ontario getting in but overall, chances are almost non existent. But if you are from a rural community, might be worth a shot? Many schools don't require you to have any pre requisite science courses anymore, but do require the MCAT so that is your biggest obstacle. My advice would be to spend a good 8-12 months studying/getting exposure to biology, general/organic/bio chem, and physics. You don't necessarily have to go back to take them in university officially since that could harm your GPA, but investing in a qualified tutor to show you the basics is important. Practice a lot. Do tons of practice tests. Once you are scoring good on the practice tests, write the MCAT. 

If you are dead set on not taking any sciences, your only shot in Canada is McMaster. If you don't get in OOP, you could consider doing graduate work in Ontario. After three years you would be considered IP. If your GPA is high, have a good Casper score and a good CARS score, you would have a shot but keep in mind it is extremely competitive. I think McMaster gets more applications than any school in Canada so don't get your hopes up is all I'm saying.

As far as international schools go, I am not too sure, sorry. 

What province? Many schools don't require any science, but worst case you could just take a few distance courses. The MCAT now actually has just as much psyc as chem, so I'm sure you'd be fine. All schools do require it as of next year though

What province? Many schools don't require any science, but worst case you could just take a few distance courses. The MCAT now actually has just as much psyc as chem, so I'm sure you'd be fine. All schools do require it as of next year though

BC. Is there a benefit to taking distance courses over classroom courses? 

When you say all schools will require the MCAT do you means mcmaster will require all sections as opposed to just cars?

BC. Is there a benefit to taking distance courses over classroom courses? 

When you say all schools will require the MCAT do you means mcmaster will require all sections as opposed to just cars?

No, I mean Ottawa will require it. 

But look at the UBC med website. There's no science pre-reqs and they don't place huge emphasis on the MCAT. You'd have just a good a chance as anyone

No, I mean Ottawa will require it. 

But look at the UBC med website. There's no science pre-reqs and they don't place huge emphasis on the MCAT. You'd have just a good a chance as anyone

Perhaps you are right I just doubt myself. Out of curiosity if I take chem/bio online through thompson rivers do you know if my grade in the course will be factored into my GPA for med school?

Perhaps you are right I just doubt myself. Out of curiosity if I take chem/bio online through thompson rivers do you know if my grade in the course will be factored into my GPA for med school?

Sorry, it depends on the school and I really don't know the specifics for UBC. There is a UBC forum here that might be able to help you more

If you have a 3.8 GPA and a 128 on CARS you could consider Calgary. I have a psych undergrad as well and no science to speak of, but much like McMaster you will need to write the MCAT. U of C will consider the whole MCAT in your global academic but it is only a small part of that global academic score. Your CARS score is looked at by Calgary and accounts for 10% of your pre-interview score. 

If you have a 3.8 GPA and a 128 on CARS you could consider Calgary. I have a psych undergrad as well and no science to speak of, but much like McMaster you will need to write the MCAT. U of C will consider the whole MCAT in your global academic but it is only a small part of that global academic score. Your CARS score is looked at by Calgary and accounts for 10% of your pre-interview score. 

Thanks. Any tips to prepare for the MCAT? I don't know if I should go back to school I don't want my GPA to fall.

Since you have a very limited science background, I would say to take a prep course. It's also cheaper than going back to school. Of course you can self study, but it might help to have someone teach you it and a place to go to ask questions.

If you're not interested in a prep course, then the Khan Academy MCAT prep videos are amazing; you could even take a look at those first and see if you think you'd actually need a prep course. I'm using them to study and I find that they have enough information when compared to the prep books I've read. I'm in a science program thought, so you'd have to judge for yourself whether they're sufficient or not.

I used Khan Academy and The Princeton Review, but my MCAT science scores were nothing to write home about.

If you're worried about your GPA you could always audit science courses. If you are going to drop the money on a prep course make sure you do plenty of research and get a good one. The ones in my city have pretty mixed reviews. 

I'll just speak of schools in Ontario because I know most about their application process. \

​Ottawa Med= ​You are missing pre-requisites so you cannot apply here unless you go back to school and complete them.

​Western Med = You need an MCAT score in the 97th percentile (CARS) and what's worse is that they are not accepting the psych section (assuming its your strength) for the upcoming cycle. Also, you need 2 years above 3.7 with a full course load that follows the 3/5 rule.

McMaster Med= If you were in province and did well in CARS (128+), I think you would have a good shot. However, you are OOP and have a GPA slightly below the avg and so would need a stellar CARS and/or CASPAR score to balance it out.

​UofT Med = MCAT requirements are very lax. However, the avg wGPA of accepted applicant is 3.96. If their weighting favours you, then you would have good chance depending on your ECs/essays and if you can meet the MCAT cut-offs (125 each section).

​Queens Med = Heavy emphasis on MCAT and ECs, so that depends on you. In terms of GPA you meet the bare minimum at 3.8 (required for file review). However, if your 2YGPA is higher than 3.8 that can only help.

​NOSM = Unless you have a rural upbringing, chances would be slim.

Hope that helps. I gave you my honest opinion on the stats you provided. Furthermore, your GPA can vary depending on the different weightings that the schools offer. A lot is riding on your MCAT and ECs, as your GPA is not exceptional for this field (ideally you would want a 3.9+ cGPA). In terms of prep for the MCAT, I would do a prep course because it will be your first time seeing a lot of the material, so self studying can be difficult. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do. :)

I'll just speak of schools in Ontario because I know most about their application process. \

​Ottawa Med= ​You are missing pre-requisites so you cannot apply here unless you go back to school and complete them.

​Western Med = You need an MCAT score in the 97th percentile (CARS) and what's worse is that they are not accepting the psych section (assuming its your strength) for the upcoming cycle. Also, you need 2 years above 3.7 with a full course load that follows the 3/5 rule.

McMaster Med= If you were in province and did well in CARS (128+), I think you would have a good shot. However, you are OOP and have a GPA slightly below the avg and so would need a stellar CARS and/or CASPAR score to balance it out.

​UofT Med = MCAT requirements are very lax. However, the avg wGPA of accepted applicant is 3.96. If their weighting favours you, then you would have good chance depending on your ECs/essays and if you can meet the MCAT cut-offs (125 each section).

​Queens Med = Heavy emphasis on MCAT and ECs, so that depends on you. In terms of GPA you meet the bare minimum at 3.8 (required for file review). However, if your 2YGPA is higher than 3.8 that can only help.

​NOSM = Unless you have a rural upbringing, chances would be slim.

Hope that helps. I gave you my honest opinion on the stats you provided. Furthermore, your GPA can vary depending on the different weightings that the schools offer. A lot is riding on your MCAT and ECs, as your GPA is not exceptional for this field (ideally you would want a 3.9+ cGPA). In terms of prep for the MCAT, I would do a prep course because it will be your first time seeing a lot of the material, so self studying can be difficult. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do. :)

Thank you for this. It seems to me like my best chances would be UBC, McMaster and possibly U of T depending on my MCAT. Right now I am doing practice CARS questions and am doing pretty well. On Khan Academy I get at least a 3/4 on most questions and this is just me jumping into it without any studying for the last couple hours so we'll see what happens.

Archived