Premed 101 Forums
stickynote

Unfair Ontario - Thoughts?

Those stats include all international and OOP students 

Ok, so it's even higher than what those stats show? You know it's at least an ~15% acceptance rate, but realistically higher for ON applicants. Which is pretty much comparable to most other provinces as well. 

I have to agree with 1994 here again, I think the main issue most Ontario residents would have with the system is not so much being unfavoured by other provinces, but not being favoured by our own province. Sure reserving interview spots is nice but there's not a lot of strong policies helping Ontario residents. Just because I grew up in the GTA doesn't mean I was crawling as a baby on the streets of Toronto. I grew up in a small town of 10,000 people. Within the GTA, but surely not "urban" since most people were farmers etc. 

I think it's unfortunate that nobody faults a resident of BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba, Atlantic etc. for coming to Ontario to study med. But when a resident of Ontario wants to study med in another province they have about 50 roadblocks ahead of them such as higher GPA, MCAT, and MMI cutoffs for OOP applicants, as well as competing for only 10-20 seats. This results in only a few of the very top Ontario residents gain admission in other provinces, and then the rest of the country has to fight it out for the remaining seats at Ontario schools. 

We have a very high concentration of some of the top “premed” programs in the country, and also a very high concentration of medical schools, yet all of these students have a hard time getting in.

Another thing of note is that I know for McMaster’s reserved Ontario interview seats, any OOP applicant that did their degree in Ontario is considered a Ontario resident by McMaster. These people come to Ontario to do their degrees, while almost always maintaining their IP status in their home province. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but if someone was drawn by the urban schools in Ontario for the undergrad, wouldn’t it be safe to say they’d probably stay here in Ontario for med? Yet their home provinces still give them IP status.

I think it’s completely necessary for underserved provinces to reserve their seats to ensure they meet their own healthcare needs, but these provinces reward students who go to U of T for their undergrad etc. which I think is completely backwards.

edited

Those stats include all international and OOP students 

Exactly what sunny_ said. It's AT LEAST that.  There is no reason to think that OOP applicants are accepted at a higher rate than IP ones.  Especially when you take into account the regional/provincial policies of Western, Mac and NOSM. It's actually likely that the OOP (and obviously international) rate is MUCH lower than the IP one.