Premed 101 Forums

Ok If All References Are From Non-Academic People?

All 3 of mine are academic hahaha so I was worried that the reverse might look bad, however all of the professors/scientists I chose know me for 2+ years and I have worked extensively with each in different capacities so they were each able to talk about different CANMed competencies.

If your case is the same where you feel like they can write about different attributes then I think its ok IMO.

I asked a few friends who matriculated in the recent two years, some had all academics some had 1 academic, 2 non-academic and got in. Some schools have specific requirements i think but other than that I think you'd be fine.

Others can chime in and correct me if I am wrong!

Some schools such as U of T want the "Scholar cluster" addressed in the LOR.  So you should try and have someone who can speak to your academic standing, achievements in leadership, research and social responsibility (and awards, conference, publications, etc.)

If you can't find someone to speak to these then you should ask one of your non-academic references to include something about this based on your CV.

Would a current research PI be suitable for the scholar cluster? I am not sure if I can get a strong reference letter from my prof who taught me in a class back in 2013-2014 year and am just concerned that it might be a disadvantage to my application. 

Does anyone have experience using their research supervisor for the scholar cluster of LOR? 

Archived