Premed 101 Forums
Maverick

I Have 2 Days To Decide If I Should Retake My Mcat

Prior to my July 22nd I had studied about 1 month and 2 weeks, INTENSELY. I completed the SBs avg. ~75, 90+ in the Qpacks (except for CARS).

• AAMC Unscored: 90/85/82/82 (5 days before exam)
  • AAMC OG: ~82 (1 week before)
  • EK 1: 70% (2 weeks before)

Please keep reading after this:

My real MCAT score for the July 22nd test was: 514 (130/127/128/129) ... I did best in the sections I thought I bombed and worst in bio which I thought I killed, it's hard to tell with CARS.

After July 22nd I kept studying for an Aug. 25th retake (since I knew I wasn't nearly as ready as I'd like to be) I completed 7 more full lengths and reviewed more:

• NS1: 514 128/126/130/130

• NS2: 511 128/127/129/127

• NS3: 512 128/126/130/128

• NS4: 512 128/127/129/128

• EK2 (taken ~2 weeks ago): 77%

• EK3: 75%

• AAMC scored 519 130/128/131/130 (taken a week ago)

I am a UBC student, 90% avg./3.95 OMSAS and probably below avg. EC's, average AT BEST I'd think. I was hoping to apply to UofT, UBC, Mac, Queens, Western, Ucalgary, UofA. The 127 CARS has cut me out of 4 schools and I have practiced A LOT more since. I really dont know what to do...is the risk too great to retake (the main risk is doing worse but I know I am capable of better, and have sacraficed so much to keep preparing for August 25th and felt 1/10th as ready before July 22nd).

Hmmmmm. This is a really tough one. I know some of those schools let you choose your best score while some make you choose your most recent. 7 vs. 3 is a huge difference as well. 

I think I would probably sit in on the exam, write it to the best of my ability and then pause on that void screen to contemplate once finished. If you felt you  bombed the exam (which seems unlikely given the trend in your scores and the additional practice you've done), then void.... but if you felt ok, I feel like it's worth the risk to potentially have 4 more schools in the mix. That's just my opinion. I feel like you're thinking the same from the tone of your post.

It sucks that CARS was the one you bombed. Any other 127 would've been largely inconsequential. With that being said, your scores are still okay and your GPA is good. I'd imagine that you'd get a few interviews this time around with this setup depending on stuff like CASPER performance. As the poster above me said, I'd suggest you re-write and decide then if you want to void it. Just keep in mind that for the most part, GPA>MCAT>ECs, so don't be too stressed out!

Hmmmmm. This is a really tough one. I know some of those schools let you choose your best score while some make you choose your most recent. 7 vs. 3 is a huge difference as well. 

I think I would probably sit in on the exam, write it to the best of my ability and then pause on that void screen to contemplate once finished. If you felt you  bombed the exam (which seems unlikely given the trend in your scores and the additional practice you've done), then void.... but if you felt ok, I feel like it's worth the risk to potentially have 4 more schools in the mix. That's just my opinion. I feel like you're thinking the same from the tone of your post.

128 is the bare minimum acceptable score am I right? At least it'd keep UofC and UofA in the running! Thank you for your advice, I think I'll be writing and seeing how it goes as annoying as it is to wait another month.

It sucks that CARS was the one you bombed. Any other 127 would've been largely inconsequential. With that being said, your scores are still okay and your GPA is good. I'd imagine that you'd get a few interviews this time around with this setup depending on stuff like CASPER performance. As the poster above me said, I'd suggest you re-write and decide then if you want to void it. Just keep in mind that for the most part, GPA>MCAT>ECs, so don't be too stressed out!

Agreed, thank you :) I'm hopeful I can go into this second one more capable! First time around I really underestimated the physical toll studying would take on me. For July 22nd I basically had a month to cram all the content and that meant I was grinding 15 hours a day so I was DEAD burnt out the day of my MCAT and especially sleepy during CARS. Studying for the 25th has been a lot more relaxed and healthy, and now that I'm aware of the consequences of being mentally exhausted during the test I'm hoping I'll be a bit sharper for CARS. I know that I'm capable of at least a 128 in CARS, I've done it on the scored which is curved so hard (I got 45/53). 

Thank you for your advice!

Your 127 CARS disqualifies you only for UofA and Western. Western has abnormal MCAT cut offs, don't be surprised if they expect a 130 BS and 127 CARS this cycle. I wouldn't rewrite. You have a solid chance at every other school

Your 127 CARS disqualifies you only for UofA and Western. Western has abnormal MCAT cut offs, don't be surprised if they expect a 130 BS and 127 CARS this cycle. I wouldn't rewrite. You have a solid chance at every other school

Disqualifies me from UofCalgary and hurts my McMaster application too :(

Disqualifies me from UofCalgary and hurts my McMaster application too :(

I would still apply to McMaster. Your GPA is great, and if you were successful on Casper you could land an interview. Both of those things could possibly make up for the lower CARS score. You won't know unless you try! Best of luck. 

I would still apply to McMaster. Your GPA is great, and if you were successful on Casper you could land an interview. Both of those things could possibly make up for the lower CARS score. You won't know unless you try! Best of luck. 

Thank you! I intend to retake it tomorrow, I'm practicing CARS as we speak!! I will update this post in a months time with the news (in case someone else winds up in this situation one day).

Retake it but pause on that void screen like others said.

My friend got an interview at McMaster with a 125 and 3.99 cGPA, so its possible. He also prepared for CASPer huge and this was his second app cycle.

Thanks MDHopefullyMe! The thing about that void screen is its so dang hard to tell you know? Like I felt pretty bad about P/C and terrible about P/S but felt good about B/B yet somehow that wound up being my lowest science score! It's such a crapshoot to predict your marks! I'll be going with my gut here, it almost seems like the easier you thought the section was the more you fucked it up...however for AAMC scored I was confident about my performance and my score was good! I'll be looking for that feeling if I decide to have it graded.

Thanks MDHopefullyMe! The thing about that void screen is its so dang hard to tell you know? Like I felt pretty bad about P/C and terrible about P/S but felt good about B/B yet somehow that wound up being my lowest science score! It's such a crapshoot to predict your marks! I'll be going with my gut here, it almost seems like the easier you thought the section was the more you fucked it up...however for AAMC scored I was confident about my performance and my score was good! I'll be looking for that feeling if I decide to have it graded.

Exactly how I felt. That CARS felt ok for me, I knew my score was in the 125-128 range, but I was thinking it would be the higher end based on how confident I was in some of the questions and it felt overall better than the scored aamc exam. Didn't end up getting that 128 :P

Exactly how I felt. That CARS felt ok for me, I knew my score was in the 125-128 range, but I was thinking it would be the higher end based on how confident I was in some of the questions and it felt overall better than the scored aamc exam. Didn't end up getting that 128 :P

What'd you end up getting?

SO, today was the 25th. How'd it go? 

Hahah, I'll post my r-eddit reaction:

Wheeew, just got home!

• C/P: felt better than July 22nd, not sure how to interpret that because I thought July 22nd went terribly and I ended up with a 130. Felt mostly like general chemistry (infrared spec, uv-vis spec, a bit of kinetics and decay, some electricity stuff at the end with blood vessels anyone?). I had to pee at the hour mark, always happens with this damn section and as a result its hard to dedicate any brain power to encoding these questions into memory. Just gotta focus on not soiling myself and answering the questions. I probably finished with about 15 mins to spare but spent a whole bunch on a marked question that had me stumped. Definitely some guesses in their too I'd say. Overall tough to predict, idk the general consensus on this section either.

• CARS: the whole reason I'm retaking a 514, the 127 CARS, this CARS felt better than the 22nd? Longer passages (O Keefe and the plains of Texas anyone?) but the questions seemed doable, God fucking knows with CARS though, I'm just hoping for a 128 or higher please please please. First passage was kinda hard though, I think it was about epigraphs and the fall of an ancient culture I will not name.

• B/B: usually my strongest section (129/130 on NS exams and 131 on AAMC scored, sadly I wound up with a 128 on the July 22nd MCAT despite feeling good about it so we will see how it goes this time). This section started of reaaaallly well, I was feeling good, short passages, no data and I was good for time. Then one passage came up with the fury of 9000 Harambe spirits, just 10000 abbreviations, adk phosphorylates p2p, p2p is only active when dephosphorylated and ataxia only occurs when hdclxyz is phosphorylated by hcla5 which is regulated by adk... And more, it was bullshit. Sucked up my time. There was one more savage passage towards the end as well, overall I barely had enough time to look through my marked whereas usually for B/B I have 30 mins to spare. The convoluted passages were harder than any AAMC or non AAMC materials. This section basically convinced you that everything was going to be okay and you should relax your asshole, then it proceeded to fist you.

• P/S: I felt okay about this one. Not too many surprises and aside from the occasional two could be correct answers everything could be solved via elimination or knowledge from KA. All the computers in my test centre crashed when I was in this section, it was a nice break in an already chill section though.

All in all, I can't tell. But if an extra month of studying and practice exams mean anything then hopefully my MCAT instincts improved and can help me be more successful on this exam.

Great work Ultrax3 I am rooting for you! Although your initial score was damn good too, hopefully this one is higher :P

Thanks MDhopefulyMe! I'm literally so scared lol, the stress seems so much higher than after I wrote my first exam! Thank you for the support :)

Did it guys <3 Just an update if anyone ever finds themselves in the little fix I was in.

Perhaps it is true that the preparation will always pay off (unless there are unfortunate external circumstances)! I retook and scored 520: 129/129/131/131 with an extra month of intense studying after my first test date. Hope this post may help you overcome a similar dilemma if you find yourself torn on whether or not to retake an already good score. I'm overjoyed! Thank you to all the people who posted or PM'd me in support of my original post, I wish you all the best in the upcoming cycle :)

Did it guys <3 Just an update if anyone ever finds themselves in the little fix I was in.

Perhaps it is true that the preparation will always pay off (unless there are unfortunate external circumstances)! I retook and scored 520: 129/129/131/131 with an extra month of intense studying after my first test date. Hope this post may help you overcome a similar dilemma if you find yourself torn on whether or not to retake an already good score. I'm overjoyed! Thank you to all the people who posted or PM'd me in support of my original post, I wish you all the best in the upcoming cycle :)

Ultra mah boiiii, you did it brother. Have a few drinks for all of us that have been watching you in your MCAT journey.

Cheers!

Great job! Did you end up making applications in time for Calgary and Alberta? 

Great job! Did you end up making applications in time for Calgary and Alberta? 

No I didn't :( I literally have barely keeping my head above water between coursework/EC's and other applications. Finished up OMSAS and UBC since those were highest yield and the MCAT was still so up in the air till today! I have this score in the bag in the event that I do reapply next year (itll be around 8-9 schools in that case!). Thank you for the congrats, and best of luck in the upcoming cycle :)

Ultra mah boiiii, you did it brother. Have a few drinks for all of us that have been watching you in your MCAT journey.

Cheers!

Thanks bro! You've always had words of support along the way and I'm super thankful for that! Keep killing it bro and best of luck in the upcoming cycle :) Oh there is no doubt I'll be drinking to this MCAT journey, 2 shots for every point above 514 lmao.