Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Msc. Physical Therapy 2016/2017, What Are My Chances

Hi,

I have decided that I will be applying to each physical therapy program in Ontario for 2017 admission. I just want to know the general chances of getting accepted into a physical therapy program with my experience. My undergrad cGPA is 3.54 (however I know this isn't really considered for admission) and my sGPA is 3.94 (Mac and Toronto) or 3.96 (Queen's/Western) depending on the school and if you include graduate courses or not.

I am currently in an MSc. of Neuroscience and will have completed my thesis next August (definitely before september start dates for PT). I have won 2 research awards (1 being a prestigious CIHR grant for my research). I work with humans of all ages and my research involves exploring cognitive dysfunction (mild cognitive impairment) at different age points. My references are most likely my thesis supervisor and and PT I volunteer with (hopefully good letters). 

I have lots of community outreach, teaching assistantships (during undergrad) and mentoring experience (but mainly in Neuroscience, not physical therapy/rehabilitation). I have ~100 hours of volunteering in both in- and out-patient physiotherapy settings. Specifically, I have volunteered in geriatric, musculoskeletal and cardioresp. areas of physio (~40 hours each). 

I am planning on applying to Queen's, Western, Mac, Toronto, McGill, and Dalhousie (my sGPA would be 4.24/4.3 at Dalhousie since they don't use ORPAS). I was wondering what my chances are like for these schools and what I can do to improve my application come December. Any input would be appreciated!

Hi,

I have decided that I will be applying to each physical therapy program in Ontario for 2017 admission. I just want to know the general chances of getting accepted into a physical therapy program with my experience. My undergrad cGPA is 3.54 (however I know this isn't really considered for admission) and my sGPA is 3.94 (Mac and Toronto) or 3.96 (Queen's/Western) depending on the school and if you include graduate courses or not.

I am currently in an MSc. of Neuroscience and will have completed my thesis next August (definitely before september start dates for PT). I have won 2 research awards (1 being a prestigious CIHR grant for my research). I work with humans of all ages and my research involves exploring cognitive dysfunction (mild cognitive impairment) at different age points. My references are most likely my thesis supervisor and and PT I volunteer with (hopefully good letters). 

I have lots of community outreach, teaching assistantships (during undergrad) and mentoring experience (but mainly in Neuroscience, not physical therapy/rehabilitation). I have ~100 hours of volunteering in both in- and out-patient physiotherapy settings. Specifically, I have volunteered in geriatric, musculoskeletal and cardioresp. areas of physio (~40 hours each). 

I am planning on applying to Queen's, Western, Mac, Toronto, McGill, and Dalhousie (my sGPA would be 4.24/4.3 at Dalhousie since they don't use ORPAS). I was wondering what my chances are like for these schools and what I can do to improve my application come December. Any input would be appreciated!

is this a joke? Of course you'll get accepted.

You definitely have a good chance of getting in! Work on writing strong personal statements, focusing on what you've gained from your experiences. You want to be connecting everything to the essential competencies of PT.

Note that for McGill they do a preliminary screening of applicants, and those that 'pass' are asked to fill in a spreadsheet regarding your courses. You have a certain number of spaces to enter classes of specified subjects and what grades you received. I know they weight grades highly, but it's more complicated than sGPA. They put a large emphasis on that spreadsheet, but I don't know how your cGPA and/or sGPA factor into it.

Dalhousie only lets in a few OOP applicants, but your application appears really strong so I think you'd at least get an interview!

You have a great chance for sure  :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone!

Thats honestly amazing! I dont think youll have a problem getting in at all!

I'm applying to physical therapy as well! I have a cGPA of 3.3 and sGPA of 3.74. I know its not the most competitive average, but i hope i can make up for that with my experiences. Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult to increase my average as university's take  the latest 20 credit and the next class to be dismissed is a class worth 2.5 classes which i got a 90% (4.0) and to increase my average even a little bit i would have to take 3 classes and receive a 90 or above in all of them.

I have 40 hours volunteering at a Physiotherapy clinic and another 40 hours of volunteer at a diabetes clinic. I graduated in April 2016 and now i have the year off working as an exercise therapist, where i work with a team of physiotherapists, massage therapists and a chiropractor. My role as an exercise therapist is to design and teach exercise programs in order to safely rehabilitate patients. My references will be a professor whom I am very close with and the owner of the physiotherapy clinic i work at now. 

I know my best chance is queens and i have gotten some tips in applying to that specific program from physiotherapists i work with and friends in the program. If you guys have any more advice that would be amazing!

what do you guys think my chances are? is there anything i can do to increase my chances? Anything helps!

Thanks guys!

Archived