Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

Have you received any positives replies yet?? I was thinking of doing this, but finally decided to focus on the interviews I got..

We really have nothing to lose though, go for it :)

A friend did it. Director said they don't commonly email back, but did provide a reason as to why my friend was rejected.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very important question - did they have food/coffee at the McMaster fam med interviews this am? Just thinking about my food situation tomorrow... (#priorities)

There was both at the afternoon session, can't imagine it wouldn't be there in the morning

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if our MSRP matters after this R1 CaRMS match? Do fellowship applications in the future (FM +1s, IM sub-specialties, etc) or others in US typically ask for it? 

Yes - at least for peds fellowship programs it is often required or optional (which generally actually means almost all people submit it anyways so as not to seem like they have something to hide).

Not sure how much it actually matters though - I would guess it is mostly used to identify potential red flags, not really to help with ranking decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling to make a decision between FM and IM (I know, I'm going to have to make one really soon). How hard is it to switch from FM to IM, in Ontario specifically, if I realize I've made a mistake? I know it happens but I'm sure the funding is a barrier and I don't know what the actual success rate is. The locations I got interviews at for FM are much better for personal reasons so that's why I'd rather match to FM than IM if I'm unsure (i.e. no Ontario IM interviews).

I'm still struggling to make a decision between FM and IM (I know, I'm going to have to make one really soon). How hard is it to switch from FM to IM, in Ontario specifically, if I realize I've made a mistake? I know it happens but I'm sure the funding is a barrier and I don't know what the actual success rate is. The locations I got interviews at for FM are much better for personal reasons so that's why I'd rather match to FM than IM if I'm unsure (i.e. no Ontario IM interviews).

It is definitely harder to switch from FM to IM than from IM to FM. Either way you have to bank one someone wanting out (sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't).

Like you identified if you are truly and equally happy with either FM or IM go with the location that you would be happiest at.

Nope it is really difficult to switch specialties between schools.

Even so, if you want to switch to IM at a particular school, go to that school for FM... Usually, you switch specialties at your own school. But as above-mentioned, for a FM resident to switch to IM, it means that an IM resident wants to change specialty. Each PD then reviews the potential candidates, and releases the final decision, but it is less transparent than CaRMS.

If you really prefer IM over FM, and are not that geographically bound, it would be better to rank IM first. No guarantee that you could switch to IM later on down the road.

If you are equally happy with FM and IM, and would prefer to stay in Ontario, then yes, go rank FM first!

Rank a specialty that would make you happy and less cranky 30 years down the road :)

Thanks! That's what I figured. Follow-up to that, if say you are in Toronto but an IM position opens up in Ottawa, would it be possible to switch across schools? (Provided no one at that school wants to switch into it)

Thanks! That's what I figured. Follow-up to that, if say you are in Toronto but an IM position opens up in Ottawa, would it be possible to switch across schools? (Provided no one at that school wants to switch into it)

I don't know how easy it would be but things like this happen - I know of one person who switched from family med at one school to peds at another school. If you're really unhappy it's my understanding that programs do their best to work with you - they don't want an unhappy resident who regrets their career choice either. ;)

As I am still in my clinical rotations, not struggling with the wait at all lol. Getting by my days with 5 hours of sleep B)

Hello surgery elective for someone NON SURGICAL lol

I guess that you could focus on LMCC study, while waiting for March 1st result day! :)

Anyone else seriously struggling with the wait?

Feel like my life is in limbo. Why does it take so long?!?

As I am still in my clinical rotations, not struggling with the wait at all lol. Getting by my days with 5 hours of sleep B)

Hello surgery elective for someone NON SURGICAL lol

I guess that you could focus on LMCC study, while waiting for March 1st result day! :)

Nah I'm still working too. I'm on internal medicine. Doesn't mean I don't think about it allllll the time though.

I think that most schools give at least 1 month or more for LMCC study. I.E clerkship ends around March or even before.

I guess UofToronto is a particular case, but you guys did write the Toronto Notes lol!

I imagine that LMCC is a pass or fail test, and it does not affect our CaRMs ranking...If it would have been USMLE step 1-2, I guess that Canadian Medical Schools would have given us more time to prepare!

Archived