Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

Hey guys, I am wondering if I should attach my post-MSPR elective rotation evaluations on the CaRMS platform.

If the program specifies that: Applicants are advised to only provide the documents requested by the program. No other documents submitted will be reviewed. ?

I am thinking of uploading the eval form, because it is pertinent to the specialty that I am applying to.  :)

Would it be badly looked upon if I attach an 'extra document' to a program?

Thanks for your feedback

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When filling out the CaRMS online platform information, do the programs like to see only volunteering and achievements during medical school?

I have not done any volunteering during medical school, but a lot before med school. I was wondering if it is pertinent to put in those information?

Thanks for your feedback :)

Anyone using the help CaRMS desk, and finding their reply time to be long?

I have sent one email asking specific questions concerning the platform, and I haven't heard back in 3 days... :(

Is this normal? I will try to give them a call, but due to my busy elective schedule. I can't make sure that I will be able to call during their office hours.

Thanks guys :P  probably I am just too stressed over nothing :P

When filling out the CaRMS online platform information, do the programs like to see only volunteering and achievements during medical school?

I have not done any volunteering during medical school, but a lot before med school. I was wondering if it is pertinent to put in those information?

Thanks for your feedback :)

If you have significant volunteering and accomplishments from undergrad you can include those. I remember doing so when I was filling out CaRMS stuff last year.

Anyone using the help CaRMS desk, and finding their reply time to be long?

I have sent one email asking specific questions concerning the platform, and I haven't heard back in 3 days... :(

Is this normal? I will try to give them a call, but due to my busy elective schedule. I can't make sure that I will be able to call during their office hours.

Thanks guys :P  probably I am just too stressed over nothing :P

Help over phone is incredibly quick, if you can spare some time over a lunch break it will be worth it. I sent a question via email, called them and had it answered in 5 minutes the next day, and got an email response 2 days after that

Thanks Rorzo, will try to call them during my lunch break!

Thanks Intrepid 86 for sharing your perspective :)

Help over phone is incredibly quick, if you can spare some time over a lunch break it will be worth it. I sent a question via email, called them and had it answered in 5 minutes the next day, and got an email response 2 days after that

I have a question concerning filling out the publication section on the platform. If I published a peer-reviewed article, when I have to fill out the publication web link.

Should I put the actual web link (for ex: http: // neurology) which direct to my article, or the DOI should be fine?

Thanks guys!

I've been thinking a lot about backing up with family. Ultimately, I decided if I ended up applying to it as a backup, I'd end up throwing it on my rank list at the last minute out of fear of going unmatched and I would be absolutely miserable in family compared to my top choice specialty.

I'm going to apply to all 14 schools that I can and hopefully it works out but if it doesn't, I know people who have taken the year off and matched the year after and I figure that's a better option for me in the long term.

The people that took the year off and matched again - these were anesthesia applicants that managed to re-match the following year after going unmatched?

I have a question concerning filling out the publication section on the platform. If I published a peer-reviewed article, when I have to fill out the publication web link.
 Should I put the actual web link (for ex: http: // neurology) which direct to my article, or the DOI should be fine?
Thanks guys!

I've been putting the actual link. I think they ask for convenience more than anything and DOI isn't super convenient.

If you are sure that your manuscript will be published in XYZ journal on April 2017

On the platform, for publication section, you could put down the publication date as pending 

You might not be able to fill out the volume and pages information, but I am sure that the programs understand.

What do you do if your manuscript has been accepted but isn't in press yet?

What do you do if your manuscript has been accepted but isn't in press yet?

There's a "pending" option in CaRMS. Plus, these days most accepted articles get published online ahead of going to print, so there's often a way to verify that the article is soon to be released unless it gets accepted very close to the CaRMS submission deadline.

For personal letters to medical disciplines. Is it recommended that we start with a formal introductory paragraph, by saying: My name is...I am a medical student from...I would like to apply to your program....

I heard this from my school's career counsellor. I wonder if there is other way of starting a personal letter??

If I start with a quote or a clinical case, would that be not well looked upon by the programs?

Thanks for your opinion guys!

Thanks  :)  Likewise, should I include the date and location of where the letter is written?

and address to the program director? Dr Dr....?

and then my personal letter?

You can just launch into your clinical case or quote.. since your letter is a part of your CaRMS package, they already know your name and medical school.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys, I need your input and opinion

For for my clinical electives, my faculty does not include them in my MSPR (ITER comments), just my mandatory eval comments and forms are included. 

I had one very mediocre evaluation, sth like: need to gain confidence, and assure herself, improved on note-taking.....This elective is not pertinent to the specialty of my choice (surgery selective)

I wonder if it is pertinent to upload this evaluation for internal and family???

At the same time, the elective does show up on my medical school transcript and on my CaRMS platform...So I don't know if the program thinks that I am hiding something.

I have spoken to my faculty's advisor and CaRMS help desk...I have heard different point of view..I would like to have your advice, thank you so much :)

If your faculty does not feel that it is a mandatory component of your MSPR, then this evaluation is by definition optional and I personally would not include it, especially since the elective is not relevant to the fields you are applying to. I assume that you would have to upload it as an extra document, and programs usually only want to see extra documents that they have requested.

When did CasPer Test results become a requirement for Ottawa Internal Medicine?

Anyone who did the test before? How do I transmit the result directly to CaRMs ?

Thanks guys :)

We got a bunch of emails about it but as long as on the Takecasper site, you have "directly transmit to CaRMS" checked off, then it'll send it to CaRMS once they're marked

Archived