Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

Hello,

Just wanted some input on the CaRMS application. What did you guys put in the description box for Memberships/Associations/Committees under the 'Achievements and Interests' section?

What did you all put in the description box under the 'Medical education' section? It asks for additional info about your studies.

Thanks!

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For committees and associations, I explained what my role was, and what I did (fundraising, conferences, etc)

Memberships---- pretty self-explanatory?

For medical education, I did not have a box asking for additional info about my studies...Nor did non-medical education..If you have to describe your medical education as a CMG' I would contact help carms to resolve this issue.

Hello,

Just wanted some input on the CaRMS application. What did you guys put in the description box for Memberships/Associations/Committees under the 'Achievements and Interests' section?

What did you all put in the description box under the 'Medical education' section? It asks for additional info about your studies.

Thanks!

Yeah I did, but I put all my hobbies together...didn't make multiple entries for hobbies.

For memberships yes I did

Undergraduate awards definitely. Also, the majority of med students didn't get those academic scholarships. You are not alone. But I won't put awards before undergrad! (or cegep for Quebec students)

For the interests section of achievements and interests in Carms do you put your hobbies? For memberships do you put specialty associations you are in?  Would you put undegraduate awards ( I didn't win any awards in med school haha)

Hello guys, I need your input for a personal statement.

For UBC internal medicine, it is listed that:

This should only be one page in length and should include reasons for applying to our program, information about yourself we may not find elsewhere. Also please include what strengths you would bring to our program.  There are no specific formatting criteria, or word count for the personal letter.  

Does this mean that I should not bring up experiences or leadership roles listed in my C.V, as my strengths to the program?

What do you guys think? I think that one-page length should be around 500 words? :) 

Hello guys, I need your input for a personal statement.

For UBC internal medicine, it is listed that:

This should only be one page in length and should include reasons for applying to our program, information about yourself we may not find elsewhere. Also please include what strengths you would bring to our program.  There are no specific formatting criteria, or word count for the personal letter.  

Does this mean that I should not bring up experiences or leadership roles listed in my C.V, as my strengths to the program?

What do you guys think? I think that one-page length should be around 500 words? :) 

The program is essentially asking if there's anything else you would like them to know about you.

It's a chance to sell yourself, to say how you would fit into their specific program, culture, values etc. If your experiences and leadership roles have been particularly important in shaping your personal and professional attitudes (and it hasn't been otherwise mentioned elsewhere) then it should be fine to bring up again. Remember, the ultimate goal of the Personal Statement is to be intriguing enough such that they would want to interview you, even if they knew nothing else about you.

They said one page. I don't know if that's 500 words, but it shouldn't matter unless the statement is bad, in which case it's going to feel longer even if it's not.

Hello guys, anybody who has done the CasPER test on November 1st for Ottawa and Sask?

I wonder if you have seen your results uploaded to your CaRMS account (on document tracking)? I haven't seen my result submitted yet.

Thank you so much :)

I did Casper in Oct, on Carms the status shows "uploaded" for me. No viewable file tho obviously since we'll never see our own Casper results.

For those who did their CasPER on November 1st, here is the CaRMS reply concerning the submission of results:

We will create the CASPer spot for you and upload the document on your behalf once we receive them from CASPer. Due to a high volume of documents to process, this may take up to the 20th of November.

Once you see it in your document tracking, you can assign it to the programs that ask for it.

Best of luck to everyone :) 

For elective descriptions on the CaRMS platform, I wrote 2 sentences maximum: inpatient and consults, outpatient clinics in blah blah blah

I did not put elective descriptions on my personal C.V, because it will be too heavy.Generally, programs know what medical students are supposed to do in each elective :)

About Elective descriptions:

Are programs expecting to see a detailed description of what we did or is it best to keep it very short, like a general one liner, to keep the CV from becoming too long and convoluted? 

Hello guys. I need your advice or opinion for one of my personal letter question.

For FM at Western, they ask us to address this following question: As a physician, how have patient experiences of illness influenced you?

I am not sure that I understand fully the meaning of the question. Does the committee want us to talk about how a patient`s experiences of illness has impacted us in a particular way? Or patient experiences of illness in general? I.E: talking about a particular patient vs general experience?

Thank you so much for your help :) 

Hello guys. I need your advice or opinion for one of my personal letter question.

For FM at Western, they ask us to address this following question: As a physician, how have patient experiences of illness influenced you?

I am not sure that I understand fully the meaning of the question. Does the committee want us to talk about how a patient`s experiences of illness has impacted us in a particular way? Or patient experiences of illness in general? I.E: talking about a particular patient vs general experience?

Thank you so much for your help :) 

This came up with a few of my classmates and ppl had different approaches. Our overall consensus was as long as you address the question it shouldn't matter if you use a specific or general approach, I personally did the latter.  

Hello I asked CaRMS to translate a LOR on November 1st, and it just came in today.

The thing is that CaRMS cannot guarantee your translation being made on time post November 4th deadline ( I know that it sucks, and you still have to pay).

The best thing is to contact CaRMS directly: translationservice@carms.ca

The other solution is to find a good personal translator who can translate in 1-2 days.

I know that November 22th is coming up fast, and it is stressful with CaRMS translation services. Hang in there!

Hi,

does anyone here has made a translation request by CaRMS translators? I was 3 days late to submit my request (Nov 7th) and the limit was Nov 4th... 

Ten days later and nothing has been translated yet. Anyone know how long it is?

Hey guys I heard that the CaRMS platform always crashes during high-volume day.

Would it be risky to assign documents on November 22nd before noon? I am still waiting for one LOR?

Thanks for your feedback and help :)

Letters of reference can be assigned till the 29th. I'd assign everything else and submit well before the deadline though.

Archived