Premed 101 Forums

2017 Carms Applicants

Hey guys, rejections are really harsh on us. But please don't over-analyze what could go wrong, or wondering if your application were not strong enough.

CaRMS period is so stressful for all of us, the process is not so transparent and objective in my opinion.

Who knows, sometimes your file reviewer just doesn't like your personal letter, or had a rough day and decided to be strict on the interview list.

For Family Medicine, I was rejected from McGill, and got invited to Toronto....which was surprising...because I am from Quebec Medical Student, and I did IM elective at McGill. I was perplexed, and kept thinking what went wrong. After one day, I just told myself that there are more important things to focus on :)

I think that it is their loss, and you guys will be happy somewhere else! 

Feel free to rant on this thread!

I think Toronto interviews every completed application. Just a hunch. 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,
I'm a CMG no match from last year and this is my 2nd CaRMS (woot). Good luck to all of us!

I wanted your input on something. I had applied to Queen's U in rads and they had initially sent us a confirmation email stating that invites would be sent on or before Dec 23rd. Checking the invite thread however, someone as early as Dec 9th has received an interview invite. Since this is my second time around (and most likely last), I really have nothing left to lose and am planning on appealing every rejection I get. My question is - should I wait until Dec 23rd to appeal? I kind of know the answer to my question is yes, but I would like to have your input on it.

Also I'm pretty sure there was a mistake on the thread. Somebody wrote UofM (jan 30th), and it was later changed to Montreal in some of the later replies. I'm pretty sure they meant Manitoba. January 30th is not Montreal's scheduled interview times (jan 16-18). At least I hope its a mistake; I'll be really disappointed if my own alma mater didn't invite me this year T-T. And last year, the invites for Montreal came out a lot later. Unless whoever got the invite for Montreal would like to confirm this for me?

Hey hotaruglow, what specialties do you apply to? Let us know, and perhaps the more experienced members could help further.

1) For Queens Radiology, I would write to them now! After December 23rd, it will be the Holiday Season. If you appeal then, it would be too late for them to reconsider. I would assume that you were not on the invite lists, because programs send all the invites on the same day...and yes appeal definitely, you have nothing to lose.

2) For Montreal invite, did you mean for diagnostics radiology? Or for Memorial Diagnostics radiology? Feel free to correct the interview thread. 

Best of luck :)

Hey everyone,
I'm a CMG no match from last year and this is my 2nd CaRMS (woot). Good luck to all of us!

I wanted your input on something. I had applied to Queen's U in rads and they had initially sent us a confirmation email stating that invites would be sent on or before Dec 23rd. Checking the invite thread however, someone as early as Dec 9th has received an interview invite. Since this is my second time around (and most likely last), I really have nothing left to lose and am planning on appealing every rejection I get. My question is - should I wait until Dec 23rd to appeal? I kind of know the answer to my question is yes, but I would like to have your input on it.

Also I'm pretty sure there was a mistake on the thread. Somebody wrote UofM (jan 30th), and it was later changed to Montreal in some of the later replies. I'm pretty sure they meant Manitoba. January 30th is not Montreal's scheduled interview times (jan 16-18). At least I hope its a mistake; I'll be really disappointed if my own alma mater didn't invite me this year T-T. And last year, the invites for Montreal came out a lot later. Unless whoever got the invite for Montreal would like to confirm this for me?

I understand the desire to appeal a decision - CaRMS can seem random and unfair at times. However, it seems also unfair to ask for preferential consideration of your application. Imagine all rejected applicants appealed their decisions.  

I can't imagine a PD admitting a student to a program after they complained about a decision made by their committee. Has anyone successfully appealed and later matched to that program?

I understand the desire to appeal a decision - CaRMS can seem random and unfair at times. However, it seems also unfair to ask for preferential consideration of your application. Imagine all rejected applicants appealed their decisions.

I can't imagine a PD admitting a student to a program after they complained about a decision made by their committee. Has anyone successfully appealed and later matched to that program?

Yes. People have. It's not really an appeal, more of a "I'd really love to join your program, is there any chance I'd be able to interview". Not complaining.

@ LittleDaisy
Thanks for your advice :) I am applying to rads and IM! And yes, I meant Montreal rads. I'm sorry if that was unclear.

@singularity
As amichel said, its not a real "appeal". More along the lines of, "Is there a tiny possibility that there was a mistake or that there is space left?"
From my own experience, last year none of the 8 rads candidate @UdeM received an invite to McGill. We all wrote in inquiring, and only the first 4 of us got an interview.

I know of a case personally. Didn't get an acceptance, emailed, got an interview, matched there. The person was told that it was an administrative error. 

Yeah, this is the case with larger programs like family medicine, psychiatry and internal medicine where "mass invites" can accidentally lead to some candidates getting rejected or not receiving an interview invite initially. Smaller programs meticulously review each and every application (not saying that that does not happen with larger programs, however the resources and time to do so just aren't there, i.e. reviewing 1000 applications vs. 100 applications).

Yea, I have heard of the administrative problem in the past. I would think that happens more with larger programs. 

Go for the appeal for Queens Radiology.

There is nothing to lose, in the worst case, you won't receive an interview. In the better case, they will find an interview spot for you. Who knows? :)

@ LittleDaisy
Thanks for your advice :) I am applying to rads and IM! And yes, I meant Montreal rads. I'm sorry if that was unclear.

@singularity
As amichel said, its not a real "appeal". More along the lines of, "Is there a tiny possibility that there was a mistake or that there is space left?"
From my own experience, last year none of the 8 rads candidate @UdeM received an invite to McGill. We all wrote in inquiring, and only the first 4 of us got an interview.

I think McGill FM staggered their invites this year. 

Most programs in English schools don't stagger their invites, but lots of people in the past have receive invites as late as 48h prior to the interview due to cancellation by other candidates. The only way to find out is to email the program.

I would say both 1) Program Director, because he& she has the final say to whether or not you get invited. The secretary has VERY LITTLE say of who gets invited to interview, they only send the interview invites.

2) The secretary in case if he&she messes up the email, or just forgot to send you the invite! Also, if PD decides to grant you an interview spot, the secretary already has your contact information so.

Anyone with more experience wants to chime in? :)

If you decide to appeal, should you e-mail the PD directly or the admin assistant? 

I think McGill FM staggered their invites this year. 

Most programs in English schools don't stagger their invites, but lots of people in the past have receive invites as late as 48h prior to the interview due to cancellation by other candidates. The only way to find out is to email the program.

McGill FM also staggered their invites a few years ago. I remember when some of my friends had received invites first, while I still had not yet received mine.

Ohh in the worst scenario, you might be rejected, and the program waits 2-3 days before sending out a refusal email. Once they have finished the interview logistics.

You could wait 2-3 days after the invite has been sent, and then contact the secretary for the status of your application.

Email Program Director for an appeal though, and CC the secretary. Best of luck :)

Another (probably silly) question: If a program says they'll notify all applicants of their results and you know (based on this forum) that they have already sent out invitations to interview, how long should you wait and who do you contact if you don't hear anything at all? 

Thanks. It's probably a rejection at this point, but I guess that's how the game goes. It's funny how all the programs I thought would interview me rejected me, but the ones I didn't really consider have sent out invites!

I'll wait a bit then and see what happens :(

Ohh in the worst scenario, you might be rejected, and the program waits 2-3 days before sending out a refusal email. Once they have finished the interview logistics.

You could wait 2-3 days after the invite has been sent, and then contact the secretary for the status of your application.

Email Program Director for an appeal though, and CC the secretary. Best of luck :)

Hey Explodingmuffins, hang in there! I am really sorry. :(

It's really hard to predict CaRMS interview invites, the selection process is not that transparent.

If you think that you have slight chance of getting an interview at a particular program, wait 2-3 days and email the PD! The appeal email helps if you have done an elective at a particular program, and has LOR from the staff there. You lose nothing by emailing them :)

Thanks. It's probably a rejection at this point, but I guess that's how the game goes. It's funny how all the programs I thought would interview me rejected me, but the ones I didn't really consider have sent out invites!

I'll wait a bit then and see what happens :(

Hey I hope that someone could help you out!

The only person who knows this for sure, is the program director or the administrative assistant.

Send them an email or call in on Monday.

Best of luck! :)

Hey guys, anyone know if Western anesthesia is sending out rolling invitations? Haven't heard anything yet and kind of disappointed because I did an elective and got a letter from there... (also rumour is they usually interview everyone!)

Question about Calgary Ob/Gyn. I think they started sending out invites on Tuesday and I know someone who got an invite yesterday. They say they notify everyone and I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone received rejection letters yet? How long do I wait before I email asking about if I get an interview or not? 

(also LOL at the cheesy username I picked for myself as a keen premed, didn't even remember I had an account here) 

Archived