Premed 101 Forums

Vacation/travel As Diversity Of Experience

How would you write your vacations/travel in the Diversity of Experience section? I went to Malaysia and Japan in the summer after I graduated grade 12 for a whole month. Connected with my family Malaysia, did some cultural stuff in both countries, visited Japan, etc. 

How would you fill out the Activity Name or Organization? I guess for Organization, Family could work. But for Activity Name, saying Travel doesn't seem to be very impactful or descriptive. Nor does just saying Vacation. 

As for Verifier, would I just put one of my family members who went with me on it?

I'm not sure others will agree with me, but I would put international travel with family/vacations under other (which I believe you don't need a verifier for). Some exceptions to this is if it was a volunteer trip, or an organized trip as part of something academic that would count as an EC...

How would you write your vacations/travel in the Diversity of Experience section? I went to Malaysia and Japan in the summer after I graduated grade 12 for a whole month. Connected with my family Malaysia, did some cultural stuff in both countries, visited Japan, etc. 

How would you fill out the Activity Name or Organization? I guess for Organization, Family could work. But for Activity Name, saying Travel doesn't seem to be very impactful or descriptive. Nor does just saying Vacation. 

As for Verifier, would I just put one of my family members who went with me on it?

You are asked to not use family members or relatives in your verifiers if I recall the application process correctly from before.

- G

You are asked to not use family members or relatives in your verifiers if I recall the application process correctly from before.

- G

According to the app, you can use family members or relatives as a last resort for things such as a family vacation or travel(they literally say vacation/travel), so I'm assuming they do expect you to use a family member if you're gonna put travel down. So I just need to know how I would want to phrase going on a vacation in a fairly professional manner other than just saying: "Travel" as the activity name.

I'm not sure others will agree with me, but I would put international travel with family/vacations under other (which I believe you don't need a verifier for). Some exceptions to this is if it was a volunteer trip, or an organized trip as part of something academic that would count as an EC...

I think that every single thing in the Personal Activities section required a verifier. And how would you title that? Would you say "International Travel" as its title, or something like "Family Vacation"? It was a pretty good cultural experience for me, as I went to Malaysia and Japan for like a month and enjoyed all the cultural activities there.

I put travelling under diversity. I used myself as a verifier, u of c suggests to do this

Did you do this for the U of A app? I thought that verifiers must be someone other than yourself. Does it apply to the U of A app, or just U of C?

As well, how did you word it? Like what did you put as the Activity Name and the Organization? Saying "Family Vacation" doesn't sound very legit, and what would Organization be? Family? I can fill out the description easy, but I just don't know how to word the Activity Name and Organization.

Did you do this for the U of A app? I thought that verifiers must be someone other than yourself. Does it apply to the U of A app, or just U of C?

As well, how did you word it? Like what did you put as the Activity Name and the Organization? Saying "Family Vacation" doesn't sound very legit, and what would Organization be? Family? I can fill out the description easy, but I just don't know how to word the Activity Name and Organization.

I did this for the U of A application. Not sure what the recommended protocol is, this is just what I did.

I called the experience "travelling" and talked about cultural diversity, language barriers, and independence.

I did this for the U of A application. Not sure what the recommended protocol is, this is just what I did.

I called the experience "travelling" and talked about cultural diversity, language barriers, and independence.

What did you put as the organization?

And, how did you manage to talk about cultural diversity, language barriers, and independence in the limited amount of space they give you? I find that the best I can do is sort of list the stuff that I did since there is so little space.

For example, this is what I wrote under Leadership as a badminton co-coach

> In Grade 12, I volunteered as the co-coach to the Junior High badminton team for students in grade 6 and 7, during badminton season for a total of 20 hours. As a coach, I worked on developing greater badminton skills in the students(through demonstrated examples or instructions), leading practice, exercises, and matches.

There's a ton more I could talk about and elaborate, but there's just no space.

In Grade 12, I volunteered as the co-coach to a Junior High badminton team. I lead practices, exercise sessions, and coached matches for a total of 20 hours. I worked on developing badminton skills through demonstrations, instruction and critical feedback. 

Just a brief example of how to cut out unnecessary detail. You really don't need to include the grade range after you've said junior high team because that already tells you what age group it is. Also once you've introduced it's badminton, you don't have to say it again.

Cutting down some sentences and being a bit more concise is a great way to get more info into those 3 sentences!

What did you put as the organization?

And, how did you manage to talk about cultural diversity, language barriers, and independence in the limited amount of space they give you? I find that the best I can do is sort of list the stuff that I did since there is so little space.

For example, this is what I wrote under Leadership as a badminton co-coach

> In Grade 12, I volunteered as the co-coach to the Junior High badminton team for students in grade 6 and 7, during badminton season for a total of 20 hours. As a coach, I worked on developing greater badminton skills in the students(through demonstrated examples or instructions), leading practice, exercises, and matches.

There's a ton more I could talk about and elaborate, but there's just no space.

I think it is very important to only very briefly list what you did. The important part is what you gained and learned from the experience, and how it somehow relates to the CanMEDS 

Cutting down some sentences and being a bit more concise is a great way to get more info into those 3 sentences!

Wow thanks for the help! That really helped me.

I think it is very important to only very briefly list what you did. The important part is what you gained and learned from the experience, and how it somehow relates to the CanMEDS 

Alright, I'll try this. I didn't know about CanMEDS until yesterday, and you're the second person to mention it to me. Can't believe my entire application so far I didn't know about it.

Archived