Premed 101 Forums

How Are You Guys Writing For The Personal Activities Section?

I am starting to wonder what the best way to present information would be, especially with how limited the space is you really can't write a whole lot.  Does anyone have any good tips for writing this section? Things to do or not to do? I have been writing full sentences, has anyone tried using bullets? (I doubt I would do anything other than sentences myself)

One of my entries for DoE is that I was a member of the provincial team for my sport for 5 years.  Basically I just had space to put what it was & the years I competed at Junior nationals/Western Canadians/Senior nationals.  Does that seem like a reasonable entry?

I am starting to wonder what the best way to present information would be, especially with how limited the space is you really can't write a whole lot.  Does anyone have any good tips for writing this section? Things to do or not to do? I have been writing full sentences, has anyone tried using bullets? (I doubt I would do anything other than sentences myself)

One of my entries for DoE is that I was a member of the provincial team for my sport for 5 years.  Basically I just had space to put what it was & the years I competed at Junior nationals/Western Canadians/Senior nationals.  Does that seem like a reasonable entry?

Don't waste space on full sentences! Quick phrases and symbols like '&' or '+' have worked for many people in the past

I'm been wondering about this. For the U of A, it basically only asks you for the description of your activities. However, from what I've heard, its best to write them using the description as a brief kinda intro, then talk about what you've learned/gained/experienced doing those activities, following the CanMEDS outline for things like collaboration, leadership, communication, scholar, etc.

Initially I had written my entire app purely descriptively, but after hearing about CanMED(which I didn't know about before) and hearing some others here, I rewrote my app to have a brief description with a lot more emphasis on talking about what I learned and experienced, following CanMEDS.

What do you guys think about that? I know that would be good for the U of C, but the U of A is a bit different, and all they ask for is the description and not about what you learned/experienced.

What do you guys think about that? I know that would be good for the U of C, but the U of A is a bit different, and all they ask for is the description and not about what you learned/experienced.

This is the part I have trouble with.  On some there isn't much room to put both, so I either put things that I did or what I feel I got out of it.  Inevitably things get left out either way, but it feels wrong to not answer the question when I end up deleting some of my duties.

Inevitably things get left out either way, but it feels wrong to not answer the question when I end up deleting some of my duties.

Exactly my problem. I can go on for days talking about what I did in each activity because I really do enjoy doing them. But when it comes to 325 characters, I can't go into any detail and it really starts to become a list of what I did. Either that, or I shorten that list or write about what I learned/experienced. And then the big problem comes when it only asks you for a description. Like you said, it feels so wrong just to put a description and nothing else, or to talk too little about the duties because I'm too busy putting detail into what I learned/experienced.

Archived