Premed 101 Forums

Advices For My Ntp Application ?

banki8

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some guidance and would love to hear opinions or advices. I want to apply on the basis of my 2nd bachelor (psychology), in nov 2017 as I have to do 5 of my pre-req courses (Physics and Chem).

Info about myself :

-B.sc and a B.A from Laval University

-ton of research work, one publication, poster presentations, working in health field as a nurse, various leadership and volunteering experiences..

-completing an MBA at the moment

-Actual GPA : 3,45

I wanted to know how to converte your pre-req average to GPA? If I have done two of my pre-req in CEGEP, how do I add them into my global GPA?

Do you think 3,45 is high enough to be invited for interviews?

Thanks for you help ! :)

Welcome to the Forum. :P 

The NTP is on its own and I have no idea about the GPA for this pathway, hopefully others do.

It would seem that your life experiences have CanMEDS competencies and no doubt, you should be able to submit killer C.V. & Narratives such that the reader will want to meet you!

If not the NTP route, your GPA would be on the low side, however, it all depends upon how McGill treats applicants on this pathway regarding GPA. I wish you every success. 

If you read McGill's website for the NTP stream they mention that a 3.2 GPA is considered "in the competitive range". I applied last year and had a slightly lower GPA than you, but was not offered an interview. If you look at a previous thread on here, a few people posted their GPAs and whether they were invited to interview or not. Also, McGill itself posted the GPAs of interviewed NTP candidates, and I think it was around 3.7 if my memory serves me correctly.

Regardless, it never hurts to try, so I say apply! Good luck!

EDIT: Found this on the McGill website:

Key Numbers & Statistics
  • Anticipated number of seats available for Fall 2017: 3-5

The following is presented as reference only. It does not offer any predictive validity: 

• Average number of applicants: 127
  • Average number of interviewed candidates: 17
  • Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.74

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/ntp

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some guidance and would love to hear opinions or advices. I want to apply on the basis of my 2nd bachelor (psychology), in nov 2017 as I have to do 5 of my pre-req courses (Physics and Chem).

Info about myself :

-B.sc and a B.A from Laval University

-ton of research work, one publication, poster presentations, working in health field as a nurse, various leadership and volunteering experiences..

-completing an MBA at the moment

-Actual GPA : 3,45

I wanted to know how to converte your pre-req average to GPA? If I have done two of my pre-req in CEGEP, how do I add them into my global GPA?

Do you think 3,45 is high enough to be invited for interviews?

Thanks for you help ! :)

To be perfectly honest I don't think GPA is the most important thing for an NTP. Sure they need you to have a base GPA but the main idea of a NTP is that you didn't follow a traditional path to get into medical school and I think you really need to highlight those parts of your life. As a nurse I think the most important part of your personal narrative will be explaining 'why be a doctor'? Make sure you really highlight your personal journey and growth so that the person reading your application wants to meet you and can understand why you want to be a physician in the medical field and not only in the medical field as a nurse. I definitely think you should still apply and worst case scenario email the admissions office in regards to your GPA concerns.

If you look under "selection process", academic is 70% and c.v./personal statement is 30% for all candidates. For the academic score it's 90% undergrad GPA and 10% academic context (i.e., difficulty of coursework, post-bachelor academics and professional degree programs). In that case, I feel that your academic score would definitely get a boost. For the final decision, it's 100% interview.

As others have stated, you won't know unless you try.

If you look under "selection process", academic is 70% and c.v./personal statement is 30% for all candidates. For the academic score it's 90% undergrad GPA and 10% academic context (i.e., difficulty of coursework, post-bachelor academics and professional degree programs). In that case, I feel that your academic score would definitely get a boost. For the final decision, it's 100% interview.

As others have stated, you won't know unless you try.

For final decision, isn't it 20% science pre-reqs GPA and 80% MMI?

Thank you so much everyone, really appreciated ! Yes, as they mentionned on their website, 3.2 is in the competitive range... but I think it's better to have a GPA close to 3.7 ... Anyway, as you all said, I'll give it a try. It's just that I need to be really motivated, as I have to do 5 sciences pre-req this year :mellow:

Thanks again and good luck with your projects. ;)

Archived