Premed 101 Forums

Hi All,

I'm not really sure what the difference between a volunteer and extracurricular activity is. I "volunteer" my time for "extracurricular" activities, and my "volunteer" activities are "extracurricular" because they occur outside the university curriculum. This is why it's kind of confusing.

Someone told me that extracurricular activities are activities done in school, and volunteer activities are activities done outside of school (like in the community).

What do you all think?

Thank you very much!

Volunteering is altruistic, I.e., giving to others, whereas ECs are activities you do for fun. For example, being an unpaid coach for little league, etc is volunteering, whereas playing a sport is an EC. These examples could be in university, in the wider community.

Volunteering is altruistic, I.e., giving to others, whereas ECs are activities you do for fun. For example, being an unpaid coach for little league, etc is volunteering, whereas playing a sport is an EC. These examples could be in university, in the wider community.

Thank you!

A friend of mine was on the admission board for one medical school. He only volunteered at one hospital and didn't the any research. He wasn't passionate about research. All of his extracurriculars (sports, music, etc.) were things he did because he was passionate about them and it made him an extremely authentic applicant.