Premed 101 Forums

What To Do In The Meantime?

Well, my app is in for UBC (IP).

According to my calculations, I'm pretty much right at the bottom of the cut-off for GPA. Thankfully, from what I hear of recent changes, at least I'll get some points towards an interview. Really hoping that my 6 years out of University progressing up the corporate ladder, starting a family, etc. is going to pay dividends on the NAQ section. 

Just wondering what other people are doing in the meantime while waiting to hear about the next steps of the process? Are you working on strengthening your app for next year? Living life? Relaxing?

I've added a few volunteer activities to help set myself up more for next year (hospital, Sunday school, coaching), and waiting to get my MCAT score next week. I've been thinking about starting a graduate diploma in Business at SFU to help a little at least with my GPA and to be a back-up in case I never get in. They have 3 intakes a year and I could apply in November, but part of me thinks I should wait until I for sure get a regrets email before dropping money on it.o

Other than that, 3 kids under the age of 5 and a full-time job is pretty busy in and of itself!

Anyways....I guess this might be more of a rant than anything because at least posting on here is doing something! Haha.

The school's cut-off  :( . I know it means it's a long shot but there were also 16 people accepted with under 80% last year (if I remember the stats correctly).

I was doing quite a bit of personal reading and development before I started studying for the MCAT so I will probably try to get back into that as well.

You can start preparing for the interview. Last year, I managed to get an interview, despite barely meeting cut offs for the MCAT and GPA. However, I was rejected post interview, because I needed to score very high on the interviews ( MMIs) to get accepted and make up for my terrible MCAT and GPA scores.  From  my perspective, it is very difficult to do extremely well on interviews without some preparation.

Archived