Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

having trouble figuring out how to write about my experiences for U of A with such a small character count. I have an example of one, if someone would be willing to tell me I'm on the write track?

 

Work: Camp Counsellor

For the summer, I was an overnight camp counsellor for campers in Junior High. I lived with campers & was responsible for their social, emotional & physical well being. I became a detail-oriented worker to ensure camper's needs were met. I effectively communicated with co-workers & collectively problem solved.

 

very, very rough. Obviously needs some work. Just seeing if this is the sort of thing U of A may want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruh, in Ontario we only have 150 characters. We have to become the masters of concise AND impactful writing lol. Just to give you some more words to work with, put the summer part into the title, and take it out of the sentence. But for the most part, you were writing skills you utilized in your time as a counselor. If you have enough room, maybe something you learned. Use CANMed competencies as a guideline too. Perhaps add something in the responsible part about being responsible for camper safety, and leading activities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruh, in Ontario we only have 150 characters. We have to become the masters of concise AND impactful writing lol. Just to give you some more words to work with, put the summer part into the title, and take it out of the sentence. But for the most part, you were writing skills you utilized in your time as a counselor. If you have enough room, maybe something you learned. Use CANMed competencies as a guideline too. Perhaps add something in the responsible part about being responsible for camper safety, and leading activities?

 

In addition to the advice of the other poster, you can also put them campers' age range in the title

 

i.e. Work: summer camp counsellor (ages 11-13)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it even be beneficial to write "I learned how to effectively communicate with co-workers & collaboratively problem solve"

Even just switching that one word around? 

Sorry the struggle is real right now haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey jmg1234,

 

IMisolve is right in the sense that you want to maximize all the space - meaning, maximize the space in the title AND the description. 

 

The next thing is, you want to write your descriptions in a way that not only tells what you did, but more importantly, what you learned/what qualities you possess --> and how those qualities make you a better candidate for medicine.

 

Happy to take a look at a few of your activities and let you know what I mean. Just send me a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-09-29 at 10:26 PM, NEXT_MD said:

Hey jmg1234,

 

IMisolve is right in the sense that you want to maximize all the space - meaning, maximize the space in the title AND the description. 

 

The next thing is, you want to write your descriptions in a way that not only tells what you did, but more importantly, what you learned/what qualities you possess --> and how those qualities make you a better candidate for medicine.

 

Happy to take a look at a few of your activities and let you know what I mean. Just send me a PM.

Hey, I realize this post was a while ago but I was wondering, is it unfavourable if we write in point form versus full sentences? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-09-22 at 4:13 PM, jmg1234 said:

Would it even be beneficial to write "I learned how to effectively communicate with co-workers & collaboratively problem solve"

Even just switching that one word around? 

Sorry the struggle is real right now haha 

Collaboratively problem solving with co-workers increased my communication skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tzehra_ said:

Hey, I realize this post was a while ago but I was wondering, is it unfavourable if we write in point form versus full sentences? 

Clarity of thought marketing your CanMEDS competencies concisely is the name of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, tzehra_ said:

Hey, I realize this post was a while ago but I was wondering, is it unfavourable if we write in point form versus full sentences? 

I wrote in short and concise sentences. Had 5 admissions. Something went right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...