Premed 101 Forums

Yet Another Chances Thread

So I think I'm about ready to submit the application, but I wonder what the premed101 people make of it...

• Year 3 Honors B.Sc.
  • GPA: 3.95, science GPA: 4.00
  • MCAT: 524 (132/130/131/131)
  • Research: Began it after 2nd year, did full time as a summer student for three months, and now I'm waiting until I'm done with this year's courses to continue.
  • Volunteering: ~200h at hospital (patient/staff contact, but not strictly clinical), ~60h at long-term senior care facility in rehab and rec program, 500h public soup-kitchen, ~30h in literacy programs (esp. w/ special needs school age kids), ~650h pro bono work on housing in low-income local community (with a local business outside work hours).Tutoring high school students (volunteer).
  • ECs: I have a semi-official free computer repair/assembly service which I spend significant amounts of time on. Other stuff is hiking/camping, making furniture and carved wood, recreational video games (I'm not actually planning on mentioning this in an application, guys...), baking weird combinations, volunteer executive of a student health group on my current campus (little over a year now).
  • Employment: ~800h as optometrist/optician assistant. Pretty special in that I get to watch and learn stuff about both the optometrist/patient relationship, and the technical skills of opticians. Almost two years now.
  • Awards: Nothing too special. Just standard academic awards from registrar that come with high grades.

What do you guys think? Worth it to apply to University of Alberta this year? Would I make it in?

So I think I'm about ready to submit the application, but I wonder what the premed101 people make of it...

• Year 3 Honors B.Sc.
  • GPA: 3.95, science GPA: 4.00
  • MCAT: 524 (132/130/131/131)
  • Research: Began it after 2nd year, did full time as a summer student for three months, and now I'm waiting until I'm done with this year's courses to continue.
  • Volunteering: ~200h at hospital (patient/staff contact, but not strictly clinical), ~60h at long-term senior care facility in rehab and rec program, 500h public soup-kitchen, ~30h in literacy programs (esp. w/ special needs school age kids), ~650h pro bono work on housing in low-income local community (with a local business outside work hours).Tutoring high school students (volunteer).
  • ECs: I have a semi-official free computer repair/assembly service which I spend significant amounts of time on. Other stuff is hiking/camping, making furniture and carved wood, recreational video games (I'm not actually planning on mentioning this in an application, guys...), baking weird combinations, volunteer executive of a student health group on my current campus (little over a year now).
  • Employment: ~800h as optometrist/optician assistant. Pretty special in that I get to watch and learn stuff about both the optometrist/patient relationship, and the technical skills of opticians. Almost two years now.
  • Awards: Nothing too special. Just standard academic awards from registrar that come with high grades.

What do you guys think? Worth it to apply to University of Alberta this year? Would I make it in?

Guys, guys, guys I got a 4.0 and a 528. What do you guys think? Worth it to apply to U of A this year? Would I make it in... Come on...

Guys, guys, guys I got a 4.0 and a 528. What do you guys think? Worth it to apply to U of A this year? Would I make it in... Come on...

I'm not being facetious. No need to be a jerk about it. The issue I'm having is that I'm an early applicant who won't have completed undergrad. How much of an issue would that be? That's my main hesitation; I know I look good on paper otherwise.

I'm not being facetious. No need to be a jerk about it. The issue I'm having is that I'm an early applicant who won't have completed undergrad. How much of an issue would that be? That's my main hesitation; I know I look good on paper otherwise.

There are statistics posted online, which should have already given you a good enough indication. That's why he/she was being sarcastic.

You gotta remember we are not the admissions committee! No one can really tell you. My biggest advice if you have the $ to apply then you should because 1. You don't apply =you don't get in or 2. you apply and don't get in or 3. you apply and you get in.           Only $$ can be lost with a whole lottttt to gain!

I knew a friend that had ZERO chance of getting in and still went for it... he learned a lot about the process and was well ready for the next time (he ended up getting in at another school). He said it was worth...

- G

^ I find it hard to believe that one can have ZERO chance at one school and get into another the same cycle..did he not meet cutoffs for OOP??

To not give away too much private information... it was because his GPA was too low for his position to be even close to competitive. 

That said........ his comprehension and interview skills are something you'd see in only the top 1% of people...

He also went very far in medical school and has a great residency. 

- G

100th percentile MCAT 3.95 GPA, stunning ECs (huge numbers and all nicely rounded off --> almost unbelievable?..) and can't find the accepted/rejected threads to see if that stacks up for admission... I'm not sure what these standards measure if this isn't just a brag.  I apologize if you're being genuine, but I can't believe you're serious.

Archived