Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Chance At U Of A?

Last year, I did not interview at U of A because I had a low GPA  ( 3.79) and MCAT ( 506) , but I interviewed at U of C.

The feedback, I got from U of A indicated that I was below average in my GPA and MCAT, but my EC was above average.  I got an 8 in EC ( when the average of interviewees  was 6)

I re-wrote the MCAT and got 515- 130-127-129-129.  Do I have a chance at U of A? What other schools should I apply at?

Look up the reference stats for those accepted in your pool and see how you stack up. You know how much each section is weighted. so you can calculate roughly whether or not you would be competitive on that basis. 

Your GPA is low, but your EC score more or less makes up for that- especially if you have continued your efforts since the last cycle. Your MCAT is now average. If you kill the interview you have a shot. 

Last year, I did not interview at U of A because I had a low GPA  ( 3.79) and MCAT ( 506) , but I interviewed at U of C.

The feedback, I got from U of A indicated that I was below average in my GPA and MCAT, but my EC was above average.  I got an 8 in EC ( when the average of interviewees  was 6)

I re-wrote the MCAT and got 515- 130-127-129-129.  Do I have a chance at U of A? What other schools should I apply at?

Chances are much better with a drastic MCAT score increase but still shaky.

Your high EC score isn't guaranteed.... I was above average for my EC score the first time and the 2nd time it was barely enough to get me by. 

Regardless, your time now is better devoted to destroying the interviews. 

Best wishes, 

- G

Your high EC score isn't guaranteed.... I was above average for my EC score the first time and the 2nd time it was barely enough to get me by. 

Best wishes, 

- G

Congratulations on your MCAT increase!!  Also, I couldn't agree more with G.  It only takes one good interview to get a seat, so I would apply broadly to every school that you could see yourself attending and that you meet the minimums at.  I would also prep hard for the MMI as you absolutely can excel at it through preparation.  

That said, it's very late in this app cycle to be worried about where you are going to apply (unless you are talking about next cycle). 

• 10 months later...
On 2016-09-27 at 2:54 PM, socialjustice said:

Can I ask you what your ECs were? I'm trying to understand what classifies as an 8 versus a 6 or 7, and where I may potentially fall on the scale. Thanks!

On 10/1/2016 at 2:42 PM, GH0ST said:

Best wishes, 

- G

I agree with this. I got in this year with a similar MCAT and slightly lower GPA. But my EC score has fluctuated (above/below average) over the past application cycles despite not making any major changes on my application.

Archived