Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Pharmacy Applications 2016/2017- Class Of 2021

SynB

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lil_pink said:

I called carol friday and she said they are still looking to fill the openings so its not like all of the offers had already been sent out...hopefully lol

Thanks for sharing this info! Did she say around when they will be done sending out the offer? 

I think things are looking bleak for the rest of us :unsure::(. They are slowly going down the list as spaces become available (that's why everyone is getting acceptances on different days). Once all the spaces are accounted for (there probably isn't much left right now) the rejection notices will probably be sent out mid-June as stated.

2 hours ago, MD-DMD-PharmD said:

I think things are looking bleak for the rest of us :unsure::(. They are slowly going down the list as spaces become available (that's why everyone is getting acceptances on different days). Once all the spaces are accounted for (there probably isn't much left right now) the rejection notices will probably be sent out mid-June as stated.

Do you know if the waiting list emails have been sent out?

2 hours ago, MD-DMD-PharmD said:

I think if they want to reject then they do. They dont need to wait until mid Jun. I think positively for this delay.

On 6/1/2017 at 3:15 PM, lalala0903 said:

I got my email on May 31st around 9am of BC time. 

Got accepted this year. I'm an out of province student and was rejected on the first day last year.

I know one of my friends is still waiting for the email too, so hopefully they will let you guys know soon! 

I'm in the same situation right now, as in I got rejected on the first day. Do you have any tips for the personal profile or interview? Did you do more extracurriculars/practice more during the year to improve?

19 minutes ago, disastrous said:

I'm in the same situation right now, as in I got rejected on the first day. Do you have any tips for the personal profile or interview? Did you do more extracurriculars/practice more during the year to improve?

Hello, my tips for you would be you should know where you stand on your own morals, opinions and judgment. Of course everyone has different educational backgrounds; therefore, they may have a different view or opinion on some topics. However, under an interview environment, if you are able to stick to your opinion and your judgment and back it up with facts and whatnot, then you should be ok since most of the time there are no right or wrong answers to the interview questions. As for the personal profiles, the questions they ask are pretty personal. For example, in my case, majority of the stuff I wrote on my personal profile comes from the extracurricular activities that I have done over the years. Due to these personal experience, it either taught me something in life or changed me in ways that are significant enough to write about. With that being said, I think your actions during the interview also really matters. These actions such as self-confidence, smile, continuity in your speech, the way you dress, etc etc all effect the outcome of the interview. I read somewhere on the internet, where as soon as you walk into the room and introduce yourself, the interviewer will have a good idea of what kind of a person you are based on your actions/the way you dress/talk etc, because these are the subconscious ways of showing who you really are since your conscious mind is always telling yourself how to impress the interviewer. Then, after all that, you get marked on how well you answered the questions. Hence, it's really multiple factors that contribute to the outcome of your interview. I might be rambling on about nothing but at least that's how I have prepared for my interview. Good luck next year :)

15 hours ago, disastrous said:

Complete agree with Dualmags. 

To add to their point; you should be familiar with current topics in the field of Pharmacy. It's fair for them to ask questions that relate to current topics, much like any job interview. 

I'd strongly recommend you brush up on current topics within BC and Canada Pharmacy, using such resources as BC Pharmacy Association, College of BC Pharmacists, Canadian Association of Pharmacists. BC Pharmacy Association has an excellent resource called 'The Tablet', a magazine packed with relevant information. 

To wrap it all up and compliment Dualmags comment, consider this a serious job interview. You are 'proving' that you would be an ideal candidate for their program based on your interpersonal skills, professionalism, presentation, and general knowledge of Pharmacy/healthcare knowledge. 

When it comes to preparing, keep your eyes tuned here. I'll be offering MMI Training Sessions (skype and in-person @ UBC). I did it this year and it was very successful. Will do it again with the option to donate to a charity.

Outside of the MMI Training Sessions, I'd recommend you prepare by reading "Doing Right" by Dr.Hebert and running an in-person mock-MMI. This could be in closed door classrooms at your library or university. The point is to mimic the conditions of the MMI, so have a panel of people, practice questions and a timer, wear your suit and run through a couple questions as if you were at UBC. Best way to practice in my experience.

Let me know if you have any questions,

CDuke93 

3 hours ago, CDuke93 said:

Complete agree with Dualmags. 

When it comes to preparing, keep your eyes tuned here. I'll be offering MMI Training Sessions (skype and in-person @ UBC). 

CDuke93 

From my understanding, UBC's pharmacy program has unfortunately prohibited its students from being involved in or conducting mock MMIs for future pharmacy students (this rule was put into place last year I believe). I would double check with the administration before going ahead next year.

19 minutes ago, MD-DMD-PharmD said:

From my understanding, UBC's pharmacy program has unfortunately prohibited its students from being involved in or conducting mock MMIs for future pharmacy students (this rule was put into place last year I believe). I would double check with the administration before going ahead next year.

Very good point... I'll have to talk to the administration about it. It's one thing to not discuss any related questions, however their policy may prohibit that.

To add, a friend that is in the program has admitted that they are extremely strict about breaching confidentiality. I definitely wouldn't want to cross that bridge... 

1 hour ago, CDuke93 said:

Very good point... I'll have to talk to the administration about it. It's one thing to not discuss any related questions, however their policy may prohibit that.

Last year I was supposed to attend a mock MMI hosted by pharmacy students but it was cancelled abruptly and they said the faculty has prohibited them from conducting it. On the bright side, there are plenty of student organized mock MMIs on Facebook that are pretty realistic and are very good practice. I'd strongly recommend to future applicants that they should try doing one of those mock sessions at least once or twice.

1 hour ago, Running in the 90's said:

Lol I didn't even prepare for the MMI. Just winged it. Seriously, just be natural and talk with confidence. Got my acceptance first day they went out. 

That might have worked well for you, however, not planning for to succeed is planning for failure. I'd highly recommend anyone who wants to help their performance practice and use the advice given here. 

2 hours ago, CDuke93 said:

That might have worked well for you, however, not planning for to succeed is planning for failure. I'd highly recommend anyone who wants to help their performance practice and use the advice given here. 

I agree to use the info provided, but I would emphasize not sounding like a robot. If you can think on your feet and just talk naturally, I'm sure that leaves a much better impact. Work on fundamentals maybe like reducing stutter and pacing your words. Don't overload yourself by potentially doing as many MMI practice problems as you can. I was lucky to have some nice volunteers who also emphasized being relaxed. Your biggest downfall can only be yourself. 

16 hours ago, Running in the 90's said:

I agree to use the info provided, but I would emphasize not sounding like a robot. If you can think on your feet and just talk naturally, I'm sure that leaves a much better impact. Work on fundamentals maybe like reducing stutter and pacing your words. Don't overload yourself by potentially doing as many MMI practice problems as you can. I was lucky to have some nice volunteers who also emphasized being relaxed. Your biggest downfall can only be yourself. 

Totally agree with you (Y). There is an element which you can't really prepare for: spontaneity. From practice I felt you reduce the anxiety surrounding the MMI and hence have a better chance to reflect yourself without being 'foggy/anxious minded'. Practicing questions can only help with your form/composure. 

At the end of it, prepare to where you feel 'comfortable'. You can't script your answers and you have to be organic. Best of luck for the next applicants! 

Received an waitlist email at 9:34AM PST as well. Does anyone know how many people are normally in the waitlist? What are the chances of getting admitted from the waitlist (maybe based on the last year or the year before)?

1 minute ago, milomom said:

Received an waitlist email at 9:34AM PST as well. Does anyone know how many people are normally in the waitlist? What are the chances of getting admitted from the waitlist (maybe based on the last year or the year before)?

My main worry was that they sent out waitlists a lot earlier last year, so I'm not sure if our chances are the same or not.

Archived