Premed 101 Forums

Back-Up Plans

Hey everyone!

Seeing as this is my last year of my undergrad, I've been thinking about what to do next year if medical school doesn't work out for me this year.  My goal is, and always has been, to pursue medicine, but I'm well aware of how competitive admission is.  I've been weighing a few options, and would love to get some input from those of you who have not been accepted on your first try.  I'm trying to think about what the best option is for both the short-term and long-term. My current GPA is 3.98, and I believe I have strong ECs. 

Option 1: A 2-year Masters degree.  It would lead to many career opportunities, but not in a field that is my primary interest. I would also not be able to apply to medical school again next year because I would be obligated to complete the program.

Option 2: Apply to the Physician Assistant programs.  This is what I'm leaning most heavily towards right now, but I have also read mixed things about the programs/career prospects.

Option 3: Apply to midwifery.  I think I'd really enjoy this, but it's also a 4-year undergraduate program, and I'm not sure I'd be able to keep my GPA where it is given the more subjective nature of the program.

Option 4: Take a year off to work.

Regardless of which option I choose, I'd re-write the MCAT again next summer to improve my score (which will hopefully allow me to apply to more schools), and I intend on continuing to apply.

Thank you kindly!

Hi HappyAndHopeful,

Have u ever considered doing a fifth year... i have several friend who did that... just took some extra courses to fill prereqs and beef up their ECs...this way u could apply to med next year

look into one year course based masters as well

Depends if u want to be in school or not but credentials are always beneficial... esp for residency if ur masters is relevant having research in that field is an advantage.  

If you don't mind me asking what ur MCAT score was...are u down to only one school or do you have chances at other ones? 

Thank you all for your feedback; I really appreciate it!

If you don't mind me asking what ur MCAT score was...are u down to only one school or do you have chances at other ones? 

I applied to 3 schools this cycle.  I initially didn't plan to write the MCAT, but decided to last minute to see if I'd be able to apply to more schools.  I only had about a month to study, while working full-time, and I don't have a strong biology or physics background (I've never taken physics). Unfortunately, my score reflected that. I'm taking biochem and molecular biology this year, and I'll start studying at the beginning of May, so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to improve it if I do write again!

I like the idea of a fifth year. How would that impact the application though?

A 5th year only makes sense if you need to do GPA repair, and maybe if you need prereqs. Your GPA does not need repair. Do you really want to risk it going down? You have something outstanding in your application right now so I would avoid messing with that.

Sounds like you really want medicine, and the other options are not that exciting to you. You are young (I assume) and there is no rush to jump into another program. I would personally take the year to work, take on some larger volunteer commitments and study for an MCAT rewrite. Reassess next year.

Sounds like you really want medicine, and the other options are not that exciting to you. You are young (I assume) and there is no rush to jump into another program. I would personally take the year to work, take on some larger volunteer commitments and study for an MCAT rewrite. Reassess next year.

I definitely agree with you about doing a fifth year.  I'm hesitant to pursue further undergraduate studies because I'd be nervous about negatively affecting my GPA. 

Thank you for your feedback!  Maintaining/adding to my volunteer commitments would definitely be a priority next year, as well.

Hey! I was in your position. I did 4 and just beefed up my ECs! I'm so glad I did. You learn things outside in the real world that you really can't learn in a classroom! Also, my GPA remained constant and it was one portion I didn't have to worry about! Just try to improve on areas that you absolutely know you can improve as opposed to taking a couple courses to boost your gpa up .01 points.

If you take a year off, you can also perfect your interviewing skills, which I found challenging while doing coursework. For some odd reason, interviews are always during midterm season...

Hey! I was in your position. I did 4 and just beefed up my ECs! I'm so glad I did. You learn things outside in the real world that you really can't learn in a classroom! Also, my GPA remained constant and it was one portion I didn't have to worry about! Just try to improve on areas that you absolutely know you can improve as opposed to taking a couple courses to boost your gpa up .01 points.

If you take a year off, you can also perfect your interviewing skills, which I found challenging while doing coursework. For some odd reason, interviews are always during midterm season...

Thanks, InstantRamen! Those are some really good points.  

I was in the exact same position last year when I applied to dental school (gpa was 3.91 or 91.5% on westerns scale) and I got waitlisted at multiple schools in Canada. I chose to decline my masters acceptances and take the year off this year. I'm working casually at multiple places part time, volunteering locally occasionally but mostly travelling. I made a bucket list and I'm just knocking things off it (travelled to 4 countries so far and have others planned). Work, volunteer and travel that's the best thing to do if your GPA and ECs are good. I hope you get into med school this year though but don't fret over it. Hope for the best plan for the worst!

I was in the exact same position last year when I applied to dental school (gpa was 3.91 or 91.5% on westerns scale) and I got waitlisted at multiple schools in Canada. I chose to decline my masters acceptances and take the year off this year. I'm working casually at multiple places part time, volunteering locally occasionally but mostly travelling. I made a bucket list and I'm just knocking things off it (travelled to 4 countries so far and have others planned). Work, volunteer and travel that's the best thing to do if your GPA and ECs are good. I hope you get into med school this year though but don't fret over it. Hope for the best plan for the worst!

Thank you! I think that's awesome that you're working on your bucket list and traveling lots.  It sounds like a great balance! All the best with applying again!

Archived