Premed 101 Forums

What Is The Maginot Line For First Year Gpa?

Olle

The Maginot line was all for show and was completely bypassed when the Germans flanked into Belgium triggering the war.

My first year GPA was 3.6. Too many lab courses, too many core courses, me and chem just don't get along (why can't we all just get along?!). I finished my degree in 3 years so my 1st year GPA was extra crucial but I nailed the 4.0 on years 2 and 3 when it was just stuff I was into. Moral of the anecdote is a rough first year is not the end of the world, this is a marathon not a sprint, and WW 2 analogies are highly controversial :)

GL 

The grade Nazi's are destroying my first year GPA troops. There are heavy casualties.

What is the Maginot line I have to hold in order to have a chance at advancing to Med school? 

I love this analogy that you're using.....

That said for some schools they remove your weakest year after 4+ years of education or some schools only look at your recent years...

Point is to recognize when you're hemorrhaging... you got to know when to stop the bleeding and how to do so well.

- G

Technically you just need to pass, but realistically its somewhere around 3.0 mainly because its pretty difficult to make a GPA jump from 2.0 to 4.0. The higher the better. Having a sub 3.8 first year GPA though pretty much ruins your chances of applying in 3rd year. 

Archived