Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MedP111

Cv Questions

Hi all,

I'm applying next year, but I wanted to get started on my CV early and have a few questions after familiarizing myself with the McGill CV format:

1) How many lines approximately should each entry take? The example entries only take 2 or 3 lines, but some of my entries might need around 200 characters of description, which would take 5 lines. Is that okay?

2) I've read about people who have 20-ish entries for their CVs, but unfortunately my list of activities is relatively slim and I have only about 10-12 entries to list. Given that 2 pages (max limit for the CV) allow for over 60 lines, I'd need something like 5 lines per entry to fill the 2 pages. I don't want to write fluff just for the sake of filling 2 pages, but would a not-completely-2-page-long CV hurt me? I always felt like I was involved in a lot of things, but I guess not enough!

Thanks a ton for helping out! And good luck to all of you who just sent in your applications for this cycle, wishing you all the best~

Hey, I'm still new to this (applied for the first time this cycle) but I think it really depends on each CV entry. I had entries on my CV that took up a mere 2 lines but others that were much more meaningful to me and I went on for like 6 lines lol. I also think it's important to show as many sides of yourself as you can and what skills you learned or developed while taking part in these activities. Whenever I wrote an entry down, I thought ok why is this important? How did I grow here? What was valuable about the experience? how is this applicable to medicine? Sometimes it might feel like you you're just writing stuff to write stuff down but I can assure you even the most seemingly mundane thing probably has some value. Good luck!!

Also: read up on the canmeds competencies and there's tons of info on the McGill website about what they're looking for.