Premed 101 Forums

I Want The Ivy League

Hello,

As the title mentions it, i am really ambitious, but i don't really think that my chances are that high to get in Ivy schools.

Here is briefly my Cursus.

French Baccalaureate in 2013 in sciences field, option Physics and Chemistry ( equivalent of the Cegep) In  Morocco

- Mention "Good" (15/20)

Biomedical sciences Degree in 2016 at University of Montreal, also in French.

-Gpa of 3.4 but i started with a weak 2.7 and i finished with a 4 the last year

Starting My second Bachelor, this time in Kinesiology at the same university

-So far having A+ everywhere

I plan to finish my second bachelor in 2years and half and do a Master degree in Cancer Research afterwards.

My Cv (recent):- I have done a long (2months) intership/immersion in Argentina with a leadership association, creating a website there for a small community. I Did that project with a student grant that i've earned for volunteering in a Medical Bio-Cafeteria, in the field of communication.

- did a 4 month research intership with a clinical pathologist, publication soon in a sciences review.

-volunteered less than 20 hours with Redcross.

-I am currently a volunteer with a Leadership association)

I Also Speak several languages (Fluent): French, English, Spanish, Arabic, Portugueese, Dareeja (Moroccan Dialect)

and i am at an intermediate level in Japaneese ,Italian, Berber (another moroccan Dialect)

I practice often Capoeira ( Orange Belt)

What are your advices?

Best regards,

MCAT? If you haven't written the MCAT, maybe start there. I think it's pretty evident that you will not get into an Ivy League school without writing the MCAT. (All of the Ivy League schools, to the best of my knowledge, source: MSAR, require the MCAT) The average MCAT for an Ivy League acceptance is generally pretty high. While students do get accepted with the equivalent of an old 32-33, the average for each ivy league school is generally around an old 36-37. While we don't have data for the new MCAT, extrapolating from percentiles, I would say you are looking at the need for a score of around 518+ to be considered a competitive applicant for a school like Harvard, Stanford, etc. Again, this is extrapolation, we still don't know how the schools are treating the new MCAT, but I think using Percentiles is a safe bet. Now, if you were willing to go lower than Ivy League (Not LOWER, but down a tier or two), you can probably gain acceptance with a lower MCAT score. However, with a GPA of 3.4 (I'm assuming this is on the AAMCAS scale, if not recalculate), your chances are lower. The average GPA for a Canadian Matriculant to US schools was over 3.7 for the past few years, and I doubt it will go lower (it might, but I feel it's unlikely). With the second degree in process, it will depend on your final GPA from there. People have gotten accepted with lower GPA's, so it's doable. You do need something to compensate for it, be it a PHD, Masters, MCAT score, impressive EC's. Your CV looks OK to me, although I don't see anything that looks clinical, besides for the research internship with the pathologist and maybe the Red Cross, depending on what you did. Maybe try volunteering for a hospital, or shadowing? Impressive language skills, by the way. Very impressive!

Hello,

As the title mentions it implies , I am really ambitiousHowever, but I don't really think that my chances are that high good to get into an Ivy League schools.

Here is briefly my CursusBriefly, here is my academic background:

French Baccalaureate in 2013 in sciences field(???), with options in physics and chemistry ( equivalent of the Cegep) In  which I completed in Morocco

- Mention "Good" (15/20)(???)

Biomedical sciences Degree in 2016 at University of Montreal, also in French.

-Gpa of 3.4 but , although  I started with a weak low GPA of 2.7, I finished with a 4.0 in the last year

Starting my second bachelor degree, this time in kinesiology at the same university

-So far having I have an A+ GPA in all courses everywhere

I plan to finish my second bachelors in 2 and a half years and half and do and then complete a masters degree in Cancer Research oncology afterwards.

My Cv (recent): I have done a long (2months this is not long) internship/immersion in Argentina with a leadership association, creating a website there for a small community. I Did that project with a student grant that I've earned for volunteering in a Medical Bio-Cafeteria (???), in the field of communication.

- did a 4 month research internship with a clinical pathologist, with a publication coming soon in a sciences review.

-volunteered less than 20 hours with Red Cross ( a volunteer position of less than 20 hours is not worth mentioning).

-I am currently a volunteer with a leadership association)

I Also Speak several languages (fluently): French, English, Spanish, Arabic, Portugueese, Dareeja (Moroccan Dialect)

and I am at an intermediate level in Japaneese ,Italian, Berber (another moroccan Dialect)

I regularly practice often Capoeira ( Orange Belt)

What are your advices can you offer me?

Best regards,

Correcting someone's English on an online post is usually the height of bad manners, especially when I only speak one language. 

Please know that I did not spend 15 minutes of my time doing this to make fun of you or make you feel bad. I did it to illustrate a point. If you are serious about applying to an Ivy League school for medical education I would say your biggest barrier, and the first you would have to overcome at this point, is your written English. I would highly consider attending an English university and start writing and speaking with native English speakers as much as possible. 

As you are aware your GPA needs to be consistently at a 4.0 level and fortunately I don't think they will even look at your Moroccan marks. As someone else has mentioned a strong MCAT is also required and a large portion of that is the verbal section which is also in English.

I am not here to shoot down your dreams, only to help you achieve them. I wouldn't say that this is impossible but if you succeed it would probably be worthy of a TV movie. GL 

Archived