Premed 101 Forums

Western Application :(

i have absolutely 0 dentistry/shadowing experience

do i have ANY chance?

i just paid the application fee and saw this question in the autobiographical sketch they send you after you pay

i'm going to submit the application because it would be a waste not to since i already paid but damn. i'm kind of sad now. help

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah you have a chance. Shadowing is just one component of the Abs. You got an interview for med so you must have volunteering experience, research and other things. On top of it, is your gpa 93% for best two years or cumulative? Having a high gpa will help you too.

it works out 93 for both

should i try and get shadowing experience? because i have 1.5 months i guess. but would it look sketchy or even hold any value bc i did it literally a month before the deadline

thanks for your response btw

it works out 93 for both

should i try and get shadowing experience? because i have 1.5 months i guess. but would it look sketchy or even hold any value bc i did it literally a month before the deadline

thanks for your response btw

Yeah if you could get experience why not? Not only will it help in your application, it will help with knowing if this career is right for you. You have great stats, hope the DAT went well!

I chose the option of doing a rushed shadowing experience in the last few months since we had the ABS addition under short notice. It doesn't hurt to do that. also in the class of 2020

how many hours did you end up getting?

also what would you consider above minimal hours such that you don't need to explain why you have minimal hours, which is what you have to do on the application now

Your GPA by far is the most important element --- if you got a med interview on the basis of your EC's you are therefore fine. But given the amount of work that went into getting that great GPA, not that big a deal investing a couple of hours in shadowing before interviews so that at least if it comes up you have something to talk about - quantity would 't be as key - you just wouldn't highlight how many hours - you would just talk experience itself. 

Your GPA by far is the most important element --- if you got a med interview on the basis of your EC's you are therefore fine. But given the amount of work that went into getting that great GPA, not that big a deal investing a couple of hours in shadowing before interviews so that at least if it comes up you have something to talk about - quantity would 't be as key - you just wouldn't highlight how many hours - you would just talk experience itself. 

thanks!

wait didn't the dentist get annoyed

LOL. I shadowed 3 dentists. 2 of which my mom's best friend was office admin so they were nice, the other my mom's friend from work had a close friend who i became friends with and text every week now lol. Just go in the first day and really get the feel of the clinic and ask them what they like since you are kind of representing the clinic if you are there. 

Hi guys!

Since this post is about UWO applications, I hope you guys won't mind if I ask some for some opinion as well!

Personally I'm an OOP applicant and I tried to calculate my GPA average and it turns out to be around 88.43% (so a bit lower than average, and my best two years include one 10 course year and one 8 course year, so it'll probably lower than what I calculated). I do have RC24 and AA20. I think my EC should be okay. I'm mostly worried about my GPA and the fact I never did physiology. I'm only doing my undergrad and no honour either. So I'm quite worried. Would you guys think I would still stand a chance at all?

(Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me asking some questions in your post & thanks! >_< )

Hi guys!

Since this post is about UWO applications, I hope you guys won't mind if I ask some for some opinion as well!

Personally I'm an OOP applicant and I tried to calculate my GPA average and it turns out to be around 88.43% (so a bit lower than average, and my best two years include one 10 course year and one 8 course year, so it'll probably lower than what I calculated). I do have RC24 and AA20. I think my EC should be okay. I'm mostly worried about my GPA and the fact I never did physiology. I'm only doing my undergrad and no honour either. So I'm quite worried. Would you guys think I would still stand a chance at all?

(Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me asking some questions in your post & thanks! >_< )

UWO doesn't have a gpa cutoff anymore but having an 88% still means you have a good gpa (even with the penalty of not taking a full course load). You'll have to write the physiology exam if you don't have the prereq for it but it's not that bad. I'm pretty sure you'll land an interview though and after that, just gotta prep for it!

Archived