Premed 101 Forums

Western Application :(

Hi guys!

Since this post is about UWO applications, I hope you guys won't mind if I ask some for some opinion as well!

Personally I'm an OOP applicant and I tried to calculate my GPA average and it turns out to be around 88.43% (so a bit lower than average, and my best two years include one 10 course year and one 8 course year, so it'll probably lower than what I calculated). I do have RC24 and AA20. I think my EC should be okay. I'm mostly worried about my GPA and the fact I never did physiology. I'm only doing my undergrad and no honour either. So I'm quite worried. Would you guys think I would still stand a chance at all?

(Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me asking some questions in your post & thanks! >_< )

Are you applying this year or next cycle? If you're applying this year, as long as it's a 4-year degree, you should be in good shape with your RC, GPA and good ECs. You can challenge the physiology exam if you haven't taken a physiology course.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have another quick question. On UWO's application, under Employment and Activities, I don't think that's where we present them with our EC and stuff we did during uni right? that's only for applicants that couldn't do full time because they had to do those employment and activities and they just have to explain during that section right? just to make sure. (sorry if it sound redundant)

Thanks again everyone

I have another quick question. On UWO's application, under Employment and Activities, I don't think that's where we present them with our EC and stuff we did during uni right? that's only for applicants that couldn't do full time because they had to do those employment and activities and they just have to explain during that section right? just to make sure. (sorry if it sound redundant)

Thanks again everyone

That section is for them to know how many transcripts to expect. Your ECs should be describe in the abs don't really worry about that section

i have absolutely 0 dentistry/shadowing experience

do i have ANY chance?

i just paid the application fee and saw this question in the autobiographical sketch they send you after you pay

i have a 93% average if this helps and idk my RC score yet. i think my EC's are ok bc i've gotten med interviews before

i'm going to submit the application because it would be a waste not to since i already paid but damn. i'm kind of sad now. help

With that kind of average you stand an amazing chance.... way more heavily weighted in importance than shadowing... although I did phone and could not get the specifics about relative % weighting of factors. Would be such a shame with those kind of marks to not go for it and do that little extra investment of time to just get a little shadowing ... just to say you have some at least. Would cover your chances

i dont know why this question is so confusing for me:

Activities/Employment

List all your extracurricular activities (e.g., volunteering, hobbies, sports, employment, travel, etc.), from the time you completed high school until the present which prevented you from attending school full time at any point in your post-secondary history. Start with the most recent activities

what do they mean by "prevent me from: lol... 

I am currently taking one semester off of my 2nd BSc program. So i would write  activities I'm doing now, right? 

But then I would also write activties that i have done AFTER graduation too?

Hi guys!

Since this post is about UWO applications, I hope you guys won't mind if I ask some for some opinion as well!

Personally I'm an OOP applicant and I tried to calculate my GPA average and it turns out to be around 88.43% (so a bit lower than average, and my best two years include one 10 course year and one 8 course year, so it'll probably lower than what I calculated). I do have RC24 and AA20. I think my EC should be okay. I'm mostly worried about my GPA and the fact I never did physiology. I'm only doing my undergrad and no honour either. So I'm quite worried. Would you guys think I would still stand a chance at all?

(Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me asking some questions in your post & thanks! >_< )

I was OOP had a 90.5 average with 10 and 9 courses for my best two years. 24 RC and 22AA. I had about 10-13 volunteering positions and quite a bit of shadowing. I got flat out rejection after the interview so I guess interview didn't go well for me. And considering that most their class is honours degrees..don't think I stand a chance this year either. Hope that helps

I was OOP had a 90.5 average with 10 and 9 courses for my best two years. 24 RC and 22AA. I had about 10-13 volunteering positions and quite a bit of shadowing. I got flat out rejection after the interview so I guess interview didn't go well for me. And considering that most their class is honours degrees..don't think I stand a chance this year either. Hope that helps

What is an honours degree, doesn't everyone who enter after 4 years have an honours degree?

What is an honours degree, doesn't everyone who enter after 4 years have an honours degree?

I have just a normal Bsc.degree as do many other people. However, some people go into honours programs which are different from regular degree and they come out with an honours degree. And if i do remember correctly 42 people got in with honours degree and like 9 people with a normal degree at uwo. They give bonus points to people with honours,MSc., and PhD.

I have just a normal Bsc.degree as do many other people. However, some people go into honours programs which are different from regular degree and they come out with an honours degree. And if i do remember correctly 42 people got in with honours degree and like 9 people with a normal degree at uwo. They give bonus points to people with honours,MSc., and PhD.

They don't give bonus points to Honors degrees. They phased that out several years ago. I'm not sure why they even had a separate category for Honors degrees, but I'm guessing they're the majority just because most people graduate with an Honors degree, not because they favour it.

Or alternatively they put the bonus back in and decided to keep it a secret...

I think it just works out that way where the majority of applicants have an Honours degree. I don't think UWO has any preference for selecting Honours degrees over normal BSc. degrees seeing they phased out the bonus points system for undergrad applicants.

Thanks for the input! Really appreciate that!

Do you mind if I ask, have you had interviews at any other school and how did they turn out for you? I would say your stats are really great and the fact you were able to land an interview already shows they think you are pretty amazing. So I wonder for you the weakness would be just interview and all of your other stats are super strong that's not really why you were rejected?

I think they take your entire application into account and those with honour degrees are looked at more favorably but no idea because bonus points are given only to masters n phd

I still dont understand what an honours degree is. I thought 3 year grads were regular BSc and 4th year grads are all honoours? 

What differentiates honours vs not-honours other than the number of courses taken (and thus years) in program? 

I still dont understand what an honours degree is. I thought 3 year grads were regular BSc and 4th year grads are all honoours? 

What differentiates honours vs not-honours other than the number of courses taken (and thus years) in program? 

yikes

an honours degree requires you to complete a research project in your final year, at my university at least

With that kind of average you stand an amazing chance.... way more heavily weighted in importance than shadowing... although I did phone and could not get the specifics about relative % weighting of factors. Would be such a shame with those kind of marks to not go for it and do that little extra investment of time to just get a little shadowing ... just to say you have some at least. Would cover your chances

thanks! i have started shadowing and i really enjoy it :)

Depends on the school. Each school has its own criteria in completing an "Honours" degree. This is why they phased it out, since it was so variable.

Thanks for the input! Really appreciate that!

Do you mind if I ask, have you had interviews at any other school and how did they turn out for you? I would say your stats are really great and the fact you were able to land an interview already shows they think you are pretty amazing. So I wonder for you the weakness would be just interview and all of your other stats are super strong that's not really why you were rejected?

I was only eligible for ubc and uwo last year and I didnt get an interview for ubc. My interview skills are probably weak but I also have 18PAT,<15carving, 22AA,24RC. So I think my PAT may be the factor and for some schools I may not meet the minimum. GPA: 3.92 and 3.97 w/ worst year dropped.

I was only eligible for ubc and uwo last year and I didnt get an interview for ubc. My interview skills are probably week but I also have 18PAT,<15carving, 22AA,24RC. So I think my PAT may be the factor and for some schools I may not meet the minimum. GPA: 3.92 and 3.97 w/ worst year dropped.

Is that an OMSAS GPA? 

• 2 weeks later...

I was only eligible for ubc and uwo last year and I didnt get an interview for ubc. My interview skills are probably weak but I also have 18PAT,<15carving, 22AA,24RC. So I think my PAT may be the factor and for some schools I may not meet the minimum. GPA: 3.92 and 3.97 w/ worst year dropped.

I've heard that you rarely get in at UBC the first year you apply. Don't know how much merit that carries  - just anecdotal but bodes well then to try and and try again!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived