Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2017 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2021

starlight17

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey y'all, I am doing the practice now but I am just wondering is the actually interview only 1 minutes long for the answers?

That's really short omg

Hey Lil_pink,

Last year practice questions ranged from like 40 seconds to like 2 minutes but the interview was about 5 minutes in total with a small break inbetween each question, I'm not sure if it will be the same this year.

Hope that helps!

Hey guys, I am doing the practice questions but I keep getting interrupted by a "Connection problem". I have tried different browsers, restarting my laptop but still the same problem. Anyone tried doing the interview on campus? Does it work well there? 

Hey guys. For those who have done the interviews in the past, how did you guys prepare for it? Did you just do the practice questions provided to you? Is there anything else i can do to prepare?

Also, what sorts of questions do they ask? Like are the questions geared towards health care, or are they just general personal questions?

Lastly, i'm just wondering why in the video, the associate dean says interviews are due by the third week of may. The email notice says the deadline is May 31st. Does anyone know the reason for the discrepancy?

Thanks

Hey guys, I am doing the practice questions but I keep getting interrupted by a "Connection problem". I have tried different browsers, restarting my laptop but still the same problem. Anyone tried doing the interview on campus? Does it work well there?

Hey manos13,

It happened to me a couple times last year after practicing about a dozen times. I'm assuming that my connection at home wasn't the best but I managed to get a stable connection during the interview. You could give campus a try just to see how the connection is there!

Hey guys. For those who have done the interviews in the past, how did you guys prepare for it? Did you just do the practice questions provided to you? Is there anything else i can do to prepare?

Also, what sorts of questions do they ask? Like are the questions geared towards health care, or are they just general personal questions?

Lastly, i'm just wondering why in the video, the associate dean says interviews are due by the third week of may. The email notice says the deadline is May 31st. Does anyone know the reason for the discrepancy?

Thanks

I practiced with the questions provided just to get more comfortable with the system and the whole process itself. I also prepared myself by coming up with questions about healthcare and personal experiences as well as my responses to those questions. I found it to be really awkward at first but I became more comfortable with practice.

In terms of the due date, I would maybe send an email to Rae just to clarify the official date.

All the best !

Hi, just wondering , I completed my interview on April 28 and last year I read that offers were received starting May 31 (one student got an acceptance then and onwards)....... any anticipation as to when out admission results come out ?

The website says end of June and in the email when I asked , they said July and on the previous forum from last year someone got their offer on May 31....so I was kind of confused ??

Also, since a prerequisite gpa is calculated based on this Bsc pharm prerequisite, how much do u think it's looked at vs overall ?

( just finished my degree)

I am nervous as I am not sure if I stand a chance as everyone seems to be very competitive here !

Hi, just wondering , I completed my interview on April 28 and last year I read that offers were received starting May 31 (one student got an acceptance then and onwards)....... any anticipation as to when out admission results come out ?

The website says end of June and in the email when I asked , they said July and on the previous forum from last year someone got their offer on May 31....so I was kind of confused ??

Hey Rpsi, 

I feel like there is some variability between each year when the admission results come out (since the number of applicants each year isn't necessarily the same every year) as well as considering that the letter of intent's format also changed this application cycle. I believe that last year offers were given out between early June and throughout July (roughly). 

Also, since a prerequisite gpa is calculated based on this Bsc pharm prerequisite, how much do u think it's looked at vs overall ?

( just finished my degree)

My prerequisite gpa : 3.44 (lower)

Overall gpa: 3.64

Recent 30 credit- this year : 3.6

I am nervous as I am not sure if I stand a chance as everyone seems to be very competitive here !

It is hard to say, however Runner5 briefly touched upon this based on his/her experience.

Hi Bobcat,

I found FAQ reflect accurately for me for the most part; however, there may be discrepancy in terms of whether the admission favours your overall grade (emphasis on recent grades) or your prerequisite mark. The two university links (admission site and University Calendar site) gave contradictory information to each other.

For those applying after 1 or 2 years, their prerequisite grade and overall grade is practically the same thing. I have finished my degree, so when I applied, I phoned the office and the office told me that 2 years ago, applicants used be ranked based on their prerequisite grade, but they changed the focus to ranking applicants based on overall grade last year and hasn't had the chance to change information on University Calendar website. My friend who phoned last year was apparently told that applicants were ranked based on prerequisite grades still. I made it in last year despite having pretty low prerequisite grades, though my friends pointed out that I grossly underestimated my prerequisite grades...

The best advice I can give to anyone wondering (if prerequisite grade is more important or if overall grade is more important) is to take upper level of prerequisite courses you think you did badly in (ex. BIOL 107 --> BIOL 207), do well in those upper level courses so you can replace the prerequisite mark and boost your overall grade at the same time

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

I still have my interview left as I have been quite anxious about it. Were the questions difficult? Also, when I asked whether or not cGPA>pGPA or vice versa, no preference is given to either (both are taken into account, equally).

My stats (IP) are:

pGPA: 3.6

2 most recent years: 3.7

Highest 30* (this year): 3.8

LOI is decent; however, 0 volunteer hours mentioned.

Good luck to everyone!

I still have my interview left as I have been quite anxious about it. Were the questions difficult? Also, when I asked whether or not cGPA>pGPA or vice versa, no preference is given to either (both are taken into account, equally).

My stats (IP) are:

pGPA: 3.6

2 most recent years: 3.7

Highest 30* (this year): 3.8

LOI is decent; however, 0 volunteer hours mentioned.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey pharm07! 

Just curious - where did you hear that cGPA is weighted equal to pGPA? I was told in Feb by Rae that for this years application cycle, the overall gpa on the last 2 years is weighted slightly above the prerequisite GPA. 

Also what do you mean 0 volunteer hours mentioned? We weren't ever asked about hours, do you mean just none listed in general? 

Thanks & good luck :) 

Hey pharm07!

Just curious - where did you hear that cGPA is weighted equal to pGPA? I was told in Feb by Rae that for this years application cycle, the overall gpa on the last 2 years is weighted slightly above the prerequisite GPA.

Also what do you mean 0 volunteer hours mentioned? We weren't ever asked about hours, do you mean just none listed in general?

Thanks & good luck :)

Hey UAlberta14!

When I phoned the faculty of Pharmacy at UofA for this year, they told me that both are weighed equally. Perhaps they were not part of the Admissions Committee, so maybe it may not be as accurate!

And I just meant that I did not mention any volunteer experience (I left all of it blank).

Thanks and good luck too! :)

Hi UAlberta14,

Classes such as PHARM 311, 330A, 347. So basically the ones where "Department Consent" is not required.

So I found the student handbook online (page 10: https://cloudfront.ualberta.ca/-/media/pharm/programs/documents/bsc-in-pharmacy/student-handbook-2016a.pdf) and I'm pretty sure the specific classes you named are second year courses... but maybe someone else on the forum would have a better idea and would be able to comment on this? 

So I found the student handbook online (page 10: https://cloudfront.ualberta.ca/-/media/pharm/programs/documents/bsc-in-pharmacy/student-handbook-2016a.pdf) and I'm pretty sure the specific classes you named are second year courses... but maybe someone else on the forum would have a better idea and would be able to comment on this? 

I can confirm that those are second year courses ! 

I'm doing the interview tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone knows if they would ask some type of ethics question? I heard a lot of other interviews ask about a time that you've made an ethical decision in your life, and I was wondering if I should be prepared to answer something like that? 

Archived