Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Neurosurgeon Charged With Murder Of Wife

mononoke

Really terrible, surprising, tragedy. There is not much detail available but one report I read earlier today said his wife was planning to divorce him. There was no explanation given as to why, but hell divorces happen for all sorts of reasons. Marriages grow stale, people meet new people, etc. Maybe he was a psycho at home and seemingly normal at work. My guess is that he could just not come to terms with the fact she wanted to leave him. Very saddening. 

His dad is Farid Shamji, a thoracic surgeon.

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/surgery/eng/05ff_faculty.html

There is no evidence yet which proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Dr. Mo Shamji murdered his wife.

Let's depict the intelligence that we ought to show as well educated individuals instead of passing comments that you see from the regular unaccomplished citizens and masses on social media.

His dad is Farid Shamji, a thoracic surgeon.

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/surgery/eng/05ff_faculty.html

There is no evidence yet which proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Dr. Mo Shamji murdered his wife.

Let's depict the intelligence that we ought to show as well educated individuals instead of passing comments that you see from the regular unaccomplished citizens and masses on social media.

What?!?

"Unaccomplished citizens"? Pardon me but who are you and what accomplishments does one need to have to be able to discuss their opinions on an online forum?

Not sure if you have any insight into how pretentious what you wrote sounds so I will check back in an hour or so to see if you may want to reconsider spouting off all holier than thou on here (if you delete/edit your post I will remove this one).

People, independent of their education, are entitled to their opinions, to the right to express their opinions, and no one here has said anything disrespectful or against the forum's rules 

What?!?

"Unaccomplished citizens"? Pardon me but who are you and what accomplishments does one need to have to be able to discuss their opinions on an online forum?

Not sure if you have any insight into how pretentious what you wrote sounds so I will check back in an hour or so to see if you may want to reconsider spouting off all holier than thou on here (if you delete/edit your post I will remove this one).

People, independent of their education, are entitled to their opinions, to the right to express their opinions, and no one here has said anything disrespectful or against the forum's rules 

So I am entitled to my opinion. Someone wrote that maybe Dr. Shamji was a "psycho" at home. Do you also count that as disrespectful?

I have said nothing that is hate crime. Saying someone is unaccomplished is not hate speech and I have the right to express my opinion on that. Free speech includes the right to offend and the right to be disrespectful.

It has not been proven beyond a reason doubt that Dr. Shamji is guilty of first degree murder. He is innocent until proven guilty.

If you delete my post then it means you are a @#$%|%% (changed by mod) delicate politically correct snowflake who wants to morally police my views and opinions.

So I am entitled to my opinion. Someone wrote that maybe Dr. Shamji was a "psycho" at home. Do you also count that as disrespectful?

I have said nothing that is hate crime. Saying someone is unaccomplished is not hate speech and I have the right to express my opinion on that. Free speech includes the right to offend and the right to be disrespectful.

It has not been proven beyond a reason doubt that Dr. Shamji is guilty of first degree murder. He is innocent until proven guilty.

If you delete my post then it means you are a @#$%|%% (changed by mod) delicate politically correct snowflake who wants to morally police my views and opinions.

Bye bye snowflake

You are entitled to your opinion. I was trying to give you the opportunity to amend your post so that you did not come off as the horrible person it turns out you are. I never threatened to delete it, I was merely doing you a favor.

FTR I never said anything about "hate speech". I said you sounded pretentious, they are different things, though I guess an unaccomplished person such as yourself may have difficulty discerning that.

Yes someone said that "maybe they were a psycho at home". As they did not say they "were", and qualified it with a "maybe" (something I assume is them trying to come to terms with how someone can seem like they can have things together professionally but have a different persona at home) I don't see any reason why you, or anyone else for that matter, should police or reprimand what they were saying. 

No one has said that he is guilty, something that would be libelous until as you aptly pointed out they are tried and convicted. However, given that this horrible thing has happened, and many people on here know the victim or alleged personally I do not wish to allow any pretentious d-bags such as yourself from stifling their grief or bewilderment.

See you in 45 days, and next time no questions asked your IP just disappears from this forum.

Ta 

Bye bye snowflake

You are entitled to your opinion. I was trying to give you the opportunity to amend your post so that you did not come off as the horrible person it turns out you are. I never threatened to delete it, I was merely doing you a favor.

FTR I never said anything about "hate speech". I said you sounded pretentious, they are different things, though I guess an unaccomplished person such as yourself may have difficulty discerning that.

Yes someone said that "maybe they were a psycho at home". As they did not say they "were", and qualified it with a "maybe" (something I assume is them trying to come to terms with how someone can seem like they can have things together professionally but have a different persona at home) I don't see any reason why you, or anyone else for that matter, should police or reprimand what they were saying. 

No one has said that he is guilty, something that would be libelous until as you aptly pointed out they are tried and convicted. However, given that this horrible thing has happened, and many people on here know the victem or alledged personally I do not wish to allow any pretentious d-bags such as yourself from stifling their grief or bewilderment.

See you in 45 days, and next time no questions asked your IP just disappears from this forum.

Ta 

Someone that looks down on regular people with no intention of hiding it ........ with every intention of being inflammatory... premed101 is truly kind in its ban policy. I still remember this one guy that lasted for about 6 months before he got banned by Arztin.

It may be me...... but I feel bans should be delivered more swiftly and decisively. 

- G

Trouble in paradise I guess. Appearances aren't always what they seem. In the very unlikely scenario where he's found not guilty, there is still a 100% chance his career is over. A first-degree murder charge is one bell that can't be unrung.

I read an article in the paper that said he specializes in a certain type of surgery that only he does throughout all of Canada. If that's the case and he has people under him learning, would that mean their training is effectively terminated and patients who require that surgery have to go abroad for treatment?

I read an article in the paper that said he specializes in a certain type of surgery that only he does throughout all of Canada. If that's the case and he has people under him learning, would that mean their training is effectively terminated and patients who require that surgery have to go abroad for treatment?

I think so, yes. I highly doubt he will be able to return to practicing medicine. However to my knowledge he hired Liam O'Connor, a prominent Ontario criminal lawyer that has a very successful track record of defending people accused of murder and manslaughter. If he hypothetically got sentenced on a lesser charge like manslaughter and served a few years in prison his medical career is history. However if acquitted which I doubt will be the case but you never know, couldn't he file a law suit against the college of physicians and surgeons and fight for his right to practice again? 

there has been very little info publically reported yet, but what we do know is that in 24(48?) hours after she was discovered they had enough evidence to not only charge him with her murder, but in the 1st degree. you can't just charge someone with first degree because you feel like it - there has to be sufficient evidence. and to have all that evidence in such a short time is pretty telling that the case against him will be strong. 

as far as criminally, there are two pieces of evidence that have been released. one is that he did not report her missing for 2 or 3 days after she had not come home or contacted anybody. her mom reported her missing. that alone is very strong evidence. the second is that she had filed for divorce the week before. there's your motive and i don't think it will be too hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt based on only those two snippets of evidence alone. and there is probably a LOT more. 

Although the scale of accusation is completely different the Jian Ghomeshi case showed the disparity between public/media judgement and criminal trial. Regardless that Ghomeshi was aquitted, it's doubtful that any semblance of a public career will ever reappear and that people will not think of him as an assailant. Nonetheless, criminally he was not guilty.

I think so, yes. I highly doubt he will be able to return to practicing medicine. However to my knowledge he hired Liam O'Connor, a prominent Ontario criminal lawyer that has a very successful track record of defending people accused of murder and manslaughter. If he hypothetically got sentenced on a lesser charge like manslaughter and served a few years in prison his medical career is history. However if acquitted which I doubt will be the case but you never know, couldn't he file a law suit against the college of physicians and surgeons and fight for his right to practice again? 

He can file what ever he wants in such a case - keep in mind the college doesn't have same level of burden of proof that a criminal trail would have. 

Yeah, this is pretty awful. Hopefully their children are getting a lot of support through this and well into the future - this will be incredibly difficult for them to process, now and moving forwards, regardless of how it ultimately turns out.

On the (very minor) upside, there may be an actual Neurosurgery job opening up in Canada soon...

He can file what ever he wants in such a case - keep in mind the college doesn't have same level of burden of proof that a criminal trail would have. 

If he is acquitted in criminal court, CPSO will have to justify bringing disciplinary hearing against him especially when there is no patient involved. Even if the disciplinary hearing is brought forward for "conduct unbecoming of a doctor," CPSO will have to prove on balance of probabilities that he murdered his wife.

Secondly, his father is the pre-eminent thoracic surgeon Dr. Farid Shamji.

Although the scale of accusation is completely different the Jian Ghomeshi case showed the disparity between public/media judgement and criminal trial. Regardless that Ghomeshi was aquitted, it's doubtful that any semblance of a public career will ever reappear and that people will not think of him as an assailant. Nonetheless, criminally he was aquitted.

I think Ghomeshi could write a book and make millions from it. Perfect way to take revenge from the same public.

If he is acquitted in criminal court, CPSO will have to justify bringing disciplinary hearing against him especially when there is no patient involved. Even if the disciplinary hearing is brought forward for "conduct unbecoming of a doctor," CPSO will have to prove on balance of probabilities that he murdered his wife.

Secondly, his father is the pre-eminent thoracic surgeon Dr. Farid Shamji.

it would be messy - there haven't been too many cases like this in Canada.

Internally there has been a strong response from the OMA. All the media keep saying this neurosurgeon murdered his wife. Took them a bit to actually mention his wife was a prominent family doctor.

I think Ghomeshi could write a book and make millions from it. Perfect way to take revenge from the same public.

He had a huge following before everything started. Just not sure if any of those followers would still want to read anything he could write - especially the large number of women followers. These women who maybe have more experience with assault might view the judgement of the court as not relevant.

He had a huge following before everything started. Just not sure if any of those followers would still want to read anything he could write - especially the large number of women followers. These women who maybe have more experience with assault might view the judgement of the court as not relevant.

his original publisher has also declined to publish his writings. There are business reasons not to attach oneself to him.  

Archived