Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2016/2017 App. Cycle)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got results back after my first application. Feel absolutely gutted that my scores are so low. I don't know if it'll be possible to bring them up in time for the next application cycle. Seems as if cutoffs are usually in the 50's. :'(

TIME STAMP: Mon, 4:51pm

Interview Invite: Regrets, No Interview

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

Interview Date: None

GPA: 83%

AGPA (if applicable): None

MCAT: Over 520

ECs: No research or hospital volunteer. Lots of executive leadership roles and misc volunteering, in addition to a few high achieving passions that are not medically related.

Year: 4th year undergrad

Geography: IP

NAQ (if applicable): 16

AQ (if applicable): 21

If you mind me asking, was your GPA exactly 83? I have 82.98 but only got 19.8 AQ ...

Just got results back after my first application. Feel absolutely gutted that my scores are so low. I don't know if it'll be possible to bring them up in time for the next application cycle. Seems as if cutoffs are usually in the 50's. :'(

TIME STAMP: Mon, 4:51pm

Interview Invite: Regrets, No Interview

Interview Date: None

GPA: 83%

AGPA (if applicable): None

MCAT: Over 520

ECs: No research or hospital volunteer. Lots of executive leadership roles and misc volunteering, in addition to a few high achieving passions that are not medically related.

Year: 4th year undergrad

NAQ (if applicable): 16

AQ (if applicable): 21

I really sorry that it wasn't good news for you today. Saw your scores and just want to say, I had similar scores as you the first time I applied in my 4th year of undergrad. The second year when I applied, the worst 30 credits were dropped, and I motivated myself to add more to my EC and gain experience and ended up with an interview as an out of province, so TFR must have been 60+. 

So don't give up, you have a great chance as an IP. If this is truly what you want to do, you will get there, I have no doubt. All the best. 

How is ur AQ 35 if ur gpa is at 86... that should equate to around 25 based off their admissions stats... typo??

Did you get an email at 8:45? Or is that when you checked it 

Sorry if I am wrong but I feel like this person is a troll based on the weird timestamp, wrong AQ score and rejected TFR score of 59!

TIME STAMP:  Mon 4:51 PM PST

Interview Invite: Regret
Regular Deadline
GPA: 82.9
MCAT: 
ECs:  4+ years research, 3 publications, 2 conferences, lots travel and outdoor hobbies, spattering of volunteering ranging up to 2 years but mostly short-term (moved too often to maintain longterm volunteering)
Year: Masters degree

Geography: IP
NAQ (if applicable): 26.26
AQ (if applicable): 19.88

I'm really surprised by my NAQ score- I've held many volunteering positions that were short term but due to not living in Vancouver during my undergrad I needed to travel home every summer and with classes it made long-term volunteering impossible

Not much I can do about my AQ at this point, especially given my last three years (1 year masters and senior undergrad years) have a 89% average so really just 18 year old me dragging me down... Does anyone know if they actually look at the "special considerations" section? I had some significant family illness spanning the length of my undergrad that affected my academics but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in any section of my scores

TIME STAMP: Mon 4:51 PM PST

Interview Invite: Regret

Regular Deadline

GPA: 82.9

MCAT:

ECs: 4+ years research, 3 publications, 2 conferences, lots travel and outdoor hobbies, spattering of volunteering ranging up to 2 years but mostly short-term (moved too often to maintain longterm volunteering)

Year: Masters degree

NAQ (if applicable): 26.26

AQ (if applicable): 19.88

I'm really surprised by my NAQ score- I've held many volunteering positions that were short term but due to not living in Vancouver during my undergrad I needed to travel home every summer and with classes it made long-term volunteering impossible

Not much I can do about my AQ at this point, especially given my last three years (1 year masters and senior undergrad years) have a 89% average so really just 18 year old me dragging me down... Does anyone know if they actually look at the "special considerations" section? I had some significant family illness spanning the length of my undergrad that affected my academics but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in any section of my scores

It's really unfortunate that you got a seemingly low EC score. The publications are impressive but I think diversity of experiences if what you're lacking...?

In answering your question, I would say that you should definitely go for the special considerations section. As long as your honest and sincere then you've got nothing to lose because I highly doubt they will deduct points for it. Just be careful not to BS it because you can mostly tell if a person is just going for those pity points.

TIME STAMP: Monday, 5:12 pm
Interview Invite: Regret
OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently): 80.59%
MCAT: 126/125/128/130
ECs: Volunteer at a care home for a few years, been working as a basketball coach for 5 years and involved in many other clubs
Year: 4th year (BSc) 
NAQ: 22.62
AQ:16.16

TFR: 38.78

First time applying, wasn't expecting an interview. Hopefully I can get my score up for next year. Good luck to everyone! 

TIME STAMP: Monday, 5:12 pm

OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently): 80.59%

MCAT: 126/125/128/120

ECs: Volunteer at a care home for a few years, been working as a basketball coach for 5 years and involved in many other clubs

Year: 4th year (BSc) 

NAQ: 22.62

AQ:16.16

TFR: 38.78

First time applying, wasn't expecting an interview. Hopefully I can get my score up for next year. Good luck to everyone! 

Is your Psych/Socio score a type? Shouldn't all the scores be at least 124? Good luck for next year! :)

TIME STAMP: Monday, 4:50pm

Interview Invite: Regrets

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

AGPA: 82.3%

MCAT: 128/127/128/129

ECs: Volunteer at hospital (500 hours), clinical research, clinical experience, community volunteering

Year: graduated

NAQ: 32

AQ: 18.9

TFR: 50.9

TIME STAMP: Monday

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular?
OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently) : 93.13%
MCAT: 520 (125 CARS)
ECs: Research Canada + Abroad. University and provincial level soccer. Violin. Club Executive. Few hospital positions. Working with ppl w/ disabilities. Health presentations to the elderly. Other miscellaneous health care volunteering. 
Year: 4th year UG
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 24.81
AQ: 35.98

TFR: 60.79 

Disappointed with the low NAQ considering I filled 3 spots for High level activity and all 12 spots for diversity of experience. I think for me it was the hours that made the difference. Lots of variety but short term. 

TIME STAMP: Monday, 5:10

AGPA (if applicable): 88.79

MCAT: 127/126/128/127

ECs: Lots of research (coop and honours), tutoring 3 years, ambassador on campus for 2 years, student union positions, month abroad volunteering, lots of shorter term (6 months) commitments

Year: BSc 2016

NAQ: 18.29

AQ: 29.11

TFR: 47.40

First time applying and was brutally honest with my hours (to the low side). Really disappointed but going to finish a masters and try again. A few questions: 1. What is the best way for me to get my naq up before the next cycle and 2. Should I rewrite my mcat? This is my score from my second write (first one I bombed the cars).

Thanks in advanced and congrats to everyone who didn't hear bad news today.

It's really unfortunate that you got a seemingly low EC score. The publications are impressive but I think diversity of experiences if what you're lacking...?

In answering your question, I would say that you should definitely go for the special considerations section. As long as your honest and sincere then you've got nothing to lose because I highly doubt they will deduct points for it. Just be careful not to BS it because you can mostly tell if a person is just going for those pity points.

Thanks, I did fill it out explaining what was going on, but it doesn't seem to have affected any of my scores which is unfortunate. I'm guessing they would look at it after interviews but you have to get there first..

TIME STAMP: Monday, 5:07 pm

OGPA (if applicable): 87.59
MCAT: 512
ECs: Lots with long term commitments (Variety Athlete, National Level Athlete (Team Canada), Research, Coaching, Travel, Senior Home Volunteer, served on executive council, some hobbies, numerous awards) 
Year: UG 4th Year (1st time applying)
NAQ: 25.63
AQ: 27.22

TFR: 52.85 (so close)

TIME STAMP: Monday

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular?

OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently) : 93.13%

MCAT: 520 (125 CARS)

ECs: Research Canada + Abroad. University and provincial level soccer. Violin. Club Executive. Few hospital positions. Working with ppl w/ disabilities. Health presentations to the elderly. Other miscellaneous health care volunteering. 

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: OOP

NAQ: 24.81

AQ: 35.98

TFR: 60.79 

Disappointed with the low NAQ considering I filled 3 spots for High level activity and all 12 spots for diversity of experience. I think for me it was the hours that made the difference. Lots of variety but short term. 

What were your three high level activities? I only see soccer listed that would really meet the description of the category.

TIME STAMP: Monday, 8:25 PM
AGPA (if applicable): 93.13
MCAT: CP/CARS/BB/PS 131/127/131/129
Year: 5th year undergrad

ECs: Wrote them all down in a previous post.
Geography: OOP
NAQ: 10.42 (Whoa!)
AQ: 35.99
TFR: 46.41

Biggest problem with ECs was that some were completed after June 1st, so a lot of good opportunities were dismissed from the application. Also wondering if they had to dismiss some of my ECs from NAQ scoring because of inability to verify.

Oh well. I got my hopes up for other places, and here's hoping they'll give me a shot.

Archived