Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2016/2017 App. Cycle)

What were your three high level activities? I only see soccer listed that would really meet the description of the category.

Sorry Soccer was split into 2 because different levels of competition provincial/national, third is something I've competed at national tournaments for, but I'm too embarrassed to list. Just PM if you're that curious. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIME STAMP: Monday, 4:50pm

Interview Invite: Regrets

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

AGPA: 82.3%

MCAT: 128/127/128/129

ECs: Volunteer at hospital (500 hours), clinical research, clinical experience, community volunteering

Year: graduated

Geography: IP

NAQ: 32

AQ: 18.9

TFR: 50.9

omg ahha, this is almost similar to my application last year (even the ECs)! Keep it up! I went down by 4 but you def are doing well. Def try again!!!

Looks like it will be following this format from the past two years:

Monday: Rejections

Tuesday: Nothing 

Wednesday: Early Deadline Invites

Thursday: Regular Deadline Invites

3 years ago they had Early Deadline Invites and Regular Deadline Rejections on Wednesday. 

Honestly, it doesn't seem like many people have gotten rejections compared to past years. Although I hope I'm wrong, I'm assuming there will be more rejections tomorrow.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like many people have gotten rejections compared to past years. Although I hope I'm wrong, I'm assuming there will be more rejections tomorrow.

Same seems like there will be but also the number is likely lower, I anticipate that much more rejects have gone out, we just aint seeing them. Hope that's the case but definitely not getting my hopes up too high. Looking at these forums there are definitely some outstanding applicants out there. damn.

TIME STAMP: Monday, 4:51 pm
Interview Invite: Regret
Early/Regular Deadline: Regular
OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently): 84.7%
MCAT: 131/128/131/128
ECs: Part time jobs from 2008-now (switched jobs because of scheduling constraints w/ going to UBC and living 1.5 hours away but never stopped), freelance makeup gig, recreational sports 1x a week for 3 years, some short term volunteering,(100 + hours, health clinics, injection sites) club work (treasurer) for 3 years, but finances are a huge struggle so I had to prioritize working over volunteering to pay the bills. 2 published abstracts, co-op. Nothing big enough. Wish they weighted exceptional circumstances a little heavier, I can provide documentation to back it. Dad's gotten 3 brain surgeries and is legally blind, Mom's working 2 part time, minimum wage jobs w/ heart condition. Lack of volunteer/travel/research experience is not because I don't want to, but I can't afford to not be making money if we want to keep our house AND fed.... 

Year: 4th year (5th if you include Co-op), Honours BSc program.  
Geography: IP
AQ: 22.66
NAQ:19.78

TFR: 42.44 

I also applied last year (2015/2016) with the same ECs but without the abstracts, co-op and some volunteer. Got a 23.38 AQ (same GPA, unchanged since I was on co-op) and 23.79 NAQ. 

Apparently removing the requirement for prerequisites made it so more people from diverse backgrounds (and diverse ECs) applied, hence different NAQ scoring.. but iunno. Gotta try harder next time I guess. 

Wish they weighted exceptional circumstances a little heavier, I can provide documentation to back it. Dad's gotten 3 brain surgeries and is legally blind, Mom's working 2 part time, minimum wage jobs w/ heart condition. Lack of volunteer/travel/research experience is not because I don't want to, but I can't afford to not be making money if we want to keep our house AND fed....

So sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you this year. It sounds like you've had a lot of responsibilities to juggle beyond your own personal career path. I wish I could say that I believe that medical adcoms do a good enough job at taking those sorts of things into consideration, but I don't necessarily think so. For the UBC application, I hope that you listed some of your exceptional circumstances as EC entries in themselves, maybe that's something to consider next time if you didn't already.

I wish you all the best, hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you'll get a boost to your AQ after finishing your last year and qualifying for weighting, which is always nice. Even if you have to work for a year after that, I'm sure that will give you plenty of opportunities to focus on boosting your NAQ as necessary. Good luck!

TIME STAMPMon 17:26
Interview Invite: Regret
Regular Deadline
GPA: 90.58

MCAT: 8/11/11

EC: Same job for 9 years including promotion up to director, TAing, research volunteering for a couple years, multiple sports, travel, some community volunteering 
Year: Bachelors,
Geography: IP
NAQ (if applicable): 19.78
AQ (if applicable): 31.96

Total: 51.74

Did any re-applicants have their score go down significantly from last application? I had a 60.37 last year and got an interview and this year I dropped almost 10 points, basically all in the NAQ (1pt down in AQ) despite adding an extra year to some activities and adding a few more new ones. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Pretty gutted right now... Need to write the new MCAT now should I choose to give it another go.

TIME STAMP: Monday, 4:51 pm

Interview Invite: Regret

Early/Regular Deadline: Regular

OGPA (no AGPA, in 4th year currently): 84.7%

MCAT: 131/128/131/128

ECs: Part time jobs from 2008-now (switched jobs because of scheduling constraints w/ going to UBC and living 1.5 hours away but never stopped), freelance makeup gig, recreational sports 1x a week for 3 years, some short term volunteering,(100 + hours, health clinics, injection sites) club work (treasurer) for 3 years, but finances are a huge struggle so I had to prioritize working over volunteering to pay the bills. 2 published abstracts, co-op. Nothing big enough. Wish they weighted exceptional circumstances a little heavier, I can provide documentation to back it. Dad's gotten 3 brain surgeries and is legally blind, Mom's working 2 part time, minimum wage jobs w/ heart condition. Lack of volunteer/travel/research experience is not because I don't want to, but I can't afford to not be making money if we want to keep our house AND fed.... 

Year: 4th year (5th if you include Co-op), Honours BSc program.  

Geography: IP

AQ: 22.66

NAQ:19.78

TFR: 42.44 

I also applied last year (2015/2016) with the same ECs but without the abstracts, co-op and some volunteer. Got a 23.38 AQ (same GPA, unchanged since I was on co-op) and 23.79 NAQ. 

Apparently removing the requirement for prerequisites made it so more people from diverse backgrounds (and diverse ECs) applied, hence different NAQ scoring.. but iunno. Gotta try harder next time I guess. 

I feel you with regards to the exceptional circumstances (especially with family illness). I had to work all throughout undergrad and now grad school because I paid my own rent, tuition, and living expenses in Vancouver, so volunteering was really secondary. From what I can see the application really favours those who are fortunately able to no have to work during school and therefore can devote their time to volunteering- particularly for people living full-time in Vancouver who can have long term commitments (I moved home every 8 months so long-term commitments were not an option). This generally shows with the proportion of those who are accepted from the Vancouver area versus anywhere else in BC

That's an incredible NAQ score. Would you be willing to give more detail into what you've done?

I honestly don't think I do much differently than the average applicant. I basically have touched on most areas from highschool moving forward, so have a lot of sports, and team/leadership activities. I was able to get published doing a directed studies during my UG. I have volunteered for many organizations with people with disabilities and/or brain injuries, and then in the hospital. I also work for someone who does research in mental health. I worked directly under a clinical pharmacist for a year, and closely with a doctor in a small health clinic. I also have traveled abroad and volunteered in Mexico and Bolivia. I have lucked out with a ton of my volunteer positions, and gotten jobs out of them. All of my experiences have been meaningful to me, and are why I selectively chose them. Hope this is helpful!

Almost 430... though it seems as others have mentioned that there were some emails after 5pm yesterday...

Some are confident there isn't another wave of rejections... let's hope!

I mean why split rejections up into two separate days... to me that makes no sense and is extremely aggravating hahah. But yes we can only hope. Hopefully there is no news in the next 30 minutes or so :P 

Archived