Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites & Regrets (2016/2017 App. Cycle)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invited :D

Cingratulations all. Looking forward to practicing with you guys.

So grateful. This has been a very difficult year.

Lets do this.

Curious:- Why do people love the 11 am slot so much? Is there a benefit to it.

Wondering the same! For everyone from Ontario, do you think 11 or 8:45 would be better, given the 3 hour time difference? :x

Invited :D

Cingratulations all. Looking forward to practicing with you guys.

So grateful. This has been a very difficult year.

Lets do this.

Early enough so I don't sit all day twiddling my thumbs but late enough that I flight delays won't be as big of a worry and I can get ready slowly

Invited! Congratulations to everyone! IP.

Long time lurker on these forums... I've applied 3 times. Taken the MCAT 4 times (yup). So many things have happened in between but I kept my head up and explored both myself and what was around me. Super excited! Totally down to participate in a MMI training group.

Interview Invite: Invite

Early/Regular Deadline: wat

OGPA: 82%

AGPA:85.1%

MCAT: 509 (126 CARS)

ECs: 4 Months of nserc research, 2 years of Big brother volunteer work, 23 hours hospital volunteering, volunteered at a clinic in sweden for a month. Had my own business for 5 years repairing phones and computers. Worked in Fort mac for 2 weeks (actually 2 months but deadline cut it off short) after the fires helping with the cleanup, worked at a car dealership, safeway, mcdonalds, coached badminton for 2 years few hours a week, helped a aboriginal man with short term memory loss go to the gym for a dozen sessions until he could go alone. comittee work organizing st albert relay for life which raised 50k. Volunteered at a church and retirement home. Volunteered at a emergeny shelter helping victims of fort mac fires (3 days). Volunteered at a homeless shelter.some faculty level presentations, bought a car from Japan and restored it without previous mechanic knowledge.few other short term volunteer positions and hobbies. Alot of this stuff is pretty short term (less than a year and 100 hours) Other than the sweden stuff and mcdonalds/safeway/research/big bro/business this is all from 2015-2016 and added to my naq. There are other stuff that are part of the previous naq score i havent included.

Year: Graduated in 2015

Geography: IP

NAQ: 27.3 last year but I did everything I could to improve it.

AQ: ~23.5 last year

First time ever applying to UBC, didnt think I had any shot here but was encouraged by posters to apply. Forever indebted to the support i have received on these forums (those that have helped me know who they are :D).

Congrats everyone who received an invite, and best of luck to those next year that didn't. This is my 2nd time applying to medical schools and at times I thought I wouldnt have a chance, keep working at it and your time will come.

TIME STAMP: Thursday December 15th 1:43 EST
Interview Invite: INVITED!!!
Interview Date: Sunday Feb 05
AGPA (if applicable): 90.15%
MCAT: Above cutoffs
ECs: Above average, as a MSc student I have held long term commitments. I have very unique ECs due to my MSc program in itself. PM me if you'd like more details. I really want to emphasis the importance that I think got me the interview: the hours of my ECs and how I described them. PM me if interested.
Year: 2nd year MSc
Geography: OOP

Ya, everyone on the 11am slot automatically gets a 50% increase to their score.

Jk, i was wondering the same thing in my year (I think 11am is most popular every year) and i think it's a combination of these 2 things:

-11am gives you enough time to get it over with early enough in the day, without having to wake up super early and rush to get there (if you're not a morning person)

-as more and more people choose 11am, people (like yourself) start to think there's something beneficial about it, and it's just a self-perpetuating cycle. 

Congrats to everyone who got an email today! :)

TIME STAMP: Thursday, 10:42AM PT
Interview Invite: Invitation 
GPA: Around 95%

MCAT: 525 (132/130/132/131)
ECs: Lots of long term commitments (3+ years): such as health clinic volunteering, student council executive, part-time jobs, student leadership, teaching science to Aboriginal youth, piano, yoga, artist, learning French, etc. I also included activities from high school. I was worried that my lack of research experience would be a detriment, but I guess not!
Year: 4th year Bsc
Geography: OOP
NAQ/AQ/TFR: I don't know how to check

See you all on February 12!  :)

TIME STAMP: Thursday... too lazy to check sorry

GPA: should be around 87% 

MCAT: above cutoff but low CARS
Eps: Research at 3 VERY PRESTIGE (not sure if that helped) labs with a few presentations and non 1st/2nd author pubs, clubs prez, fitness related activities, humanitarian trips
Year: finishing 4th year BSc
Geography: IP
NAQ/AQ/TFR:  AQ is around 27 if i calculate correctly... so NAQ is at least 27+

SO EXCITED OMG. honestly i was pretty sure i was going to get an interview but i started doubting myself a few weeks leading up to the invitation date. 

So grateful- got an interview.  First time applicant, graduating this year. IP .  Really felt the pain of some of the earlier posts when people received rejections - just want to say, please keep trying and wishing you all luck next year.

Can anyone tell me how to look up my score.  I have no idea what my AQ was or my NAQ?

Looking forward to training for the MMI with everyone.

So grateful- got an interview.  First time applicant, graduating this year. IP .  Really felt the pain of some of the earlier posts when people received rejections - just want to say, please keep trying and wishing you all luck next year.

Can anyone tell me how to look up my score.  I have no idea what my AQ was or my NAQ?

Looking forward to training for the MMI with everyone.

If you are invited to interview, they will only release AQ/NAQ scores for post-interview rejections. So, hopefully you will never find out about your scores!

TIME STAMP: Thursday, 10:42 PST

GPA: ~88%

MCAT: 12/9/11
ECs: Research (2 years, no publication yet), presented at several conferences (5+), several undergraduate and graduate awards, long-term volunteering at hospital, department rep for graduate student body at my school, volunteered with troubled youth, volunteered with and seniors, recreational sports, and lots and lots of fishing 
Year: MSc
Geography: IP

Archived