Premed 101 Forums

How Long Did You Study For The Mcat?

I studied for 4 months. However in the first two months I only studied occasionally and was not terribly on top of things. In the last two months I studied about 4-5 hours a day (I worked full time) and all day on Saturday and Sunday. Then in the last week (I took it off from work) I studied from 8am to 9pm. 

I did run out of time to study everything and probably would have done better if I has managed my time more effectively during the begining of my summer break. However, I did manage to do reasonably well. 

did you do any of the Princeton review/kaplan courses? 

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll give my insight anyways. I used Princeton Review. It covered everything (even though some supplemental stuff had to be accessed through the online resources) (I wrote in 2015 and they jumped the gun a little bit on releasing these books to be the first ones out). The PR tests are hard. Very hard. I scored 10pts better on my actual MCAT than any PR test I ever wrote. I feel like this pushed me harder, but it did lead to extra stress. (I had convinced myself to only aim for a 500 and ended up being ecstatic with my actual score)

My friends who used Kaplan said that it was nice and condensed but that the sample MCATs were not as reflective of the actual MCAT difficulty. I've never used them so I cannot provide much more detail than that. 

I took the Princeton review course and studied for about 3 months for 5-6 hours a day during the week, 8 on weekends with one day off a week. I took the course because I had not previously taken physics and felt that I needed the in class explanation for it. 

wow okay finally someone who i can relate to. how did you find it? taking the course instead of in class physics? did you still do okay? or would you recommend taking it in class? did you take physics 12? sorry for all the questions im just so lost haha

wow okay finally someone who i can relate to. how did you find it? taking the course instead of in class physics? did you still do okay? or would you recommend taking it in class? did you take physics 12? sorry for all the questions im just so lost haha

I studied 2 months full time basically, 3ish weeks content review and the rest doing practice exams and did well on my MCAT. I didn't take physics 102 (magnets/electricity etc.) but found that EK physics + khan academy + Physics 12 did good enough of a job covering it. You can definitely get by without university physics, you may have to dedicate more time to physics is all :) I personally dont think courses are needed if you put the time in and are disciplined with your studies :)

I can attest to physics 12 being fine. Highschool physics covered just about everything on the MCAT for me (I was actually a huge keener in HS and bought an MCAT book.... ended up using it to study in HS). 
Maybe try looking over Physics again during the winter break and gauge how comfortable you are with it. If you feel that you would benefit from a course, do it. The course will not be a bad choice.
Remember there are a lot of other options to learn physics if that's the only area you are woried about. ASAP science and Khan academy do a great job of explaining and you can always do a few sessions with a tutor. 

Hey no problem! I did not take physics 11 or 12 either, so that was also part of the reason I wanted to take a class. I ended up getting 127 (the same as I got in B/B btw), so I think it worked out alright, although I am pretty good at chemistry so that helped balance things out. Physics was definitely the hardest thing for me to study for, but not impossible. I think whether the class helps depends on the specific teacher. Mine happened to be really good for physics (he had taught high school physics), but some of my other class teachers were not as worth it. 

A friend of mine took 2 1/2 months to study for the 2015 MCAT without any UG science courses. Bought the Kaplan 7-book set and did 1 chapter a day sometimes 2. Practiced with the Kaplan's full length exams and AAMC's scored exam. Got a very decent score! It depends on the person. Some people work better alone and some needs discipline by physically going to class.

Studied for about 6 months while working about 45 - 55 hours/wk, volunteering, and some extracurriculars. It was a busy time, but doable. Got a respectable score (i.e. over 510/30) but nothing special. 

Used EK and Khan, thought they were excellent resources. Best thing I did was practice with as much AAMC material I could get my hands on. 

I used kaplan, but I also think EK is better (will save you time as it is more barebones and to the point) if you have a good science background. I'd highly recommend checking out r/MCAT it was easily one of the most valuable resources to use when studying for the MCAT, great advice and great community. r/MCAT will probably have the answers to all your questions and ones you haven't even thought of yet  :)

I used kaplan, but I also think EK is better (will save you time as it is more barebones and to the point) if you have a good science background. I'd highly recommend checking out r/MCAT it was easily one of the most valuable resources to use when studying for the MCAT, great advice and great community. r/MCAT will probably have the answers to all your questions and ones you haven't even thought of yet  :)

looks like im gonns sign up for **DELETED** then! thanks again :) 

Archived