Premed 101 Forums

Low A- Average, Should I Even Bother?

First of all, Congratulations to everyone who got invited to the interview. You're all rock stars!

Unfortunately, I got a rejection this year. I have a low A- and this makes me wonder if I should even consider reapplying next year. Unfortunately, I can't go back to school to raise my average anymore as I need to worry about bills and etc. 

Hi Medhopeful25, 

I am sorry to hear about your rejection this year, but don't be so hard on yourself. It takes the average applicant 4 tries to get in! 

In my opinion, you should identify what your biggest weakness is what you could do that would make the biggest difference. As you mentioned, raising the AQ might not be feasible for your situation. So evaluate your NAQ, look at what the information booklet asks for, and identify areas that you can improve and have a stronger application next year. 

All the best. 

I'm a B+ student (aGPA of A-) and I got an interview. You have to be very strategic in how you build your ECs for your NAQ. You can't just volunteer for the sake of volunteering. 

I went from an NAQ of 19 in 2010, 28 in 2014 and finally a 35 (or higher) in 2016 to get the interview. 

Final thought: wording of your NAQ activity is VERY important. It's probably the difference of getting an interview and not getting an interview. I believe wording and strategy can convert to getting 3 or more points.

when you said low A-, I assume that your school uses a percentage system (because otherwise if it uses only letter grades, you'd be converted to around 84%, which isn't all too bad for our AQ). in that case, you will need a good NAQ, perhaps one thats around at least 33 (because 53 TFR- around 20NAQ). 

yes you will still have a shot but you'll definitely have to really work hard on your ECs

Oh yeah, definitely keep applying.

Not being in school makes it easier (in some ways) to boost your NAQ and compensate for a lower AQ. Paid work is valued the same as volunteer work, so try to find work in a field that will do well for your application (and your medical career in general). For example, I got a job as a pharmacy assistant after finishing my undergrad and got more involved both at the university and elsewhere in the community.

Don't give up yet!

Are you an in-province student? If so, I would work on your NAQ. Changing the way you write about NAQ (focus on the tasks accomplished or responsibilities assigned) could go a long way. Finally, try to include everything in your extracurricular sketch, even if it's something you think they might not be interested (passion for art/travel, immigration experience, study abroad, entrepreneurial venture, overcoming adversity/obstacles, etc).

Archived