Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

Thought it would be nice to start a thread similar to the previous years. This will allow the students to see other peoples sub gpa. 

Copy and pasted from the previous years thread. 

Here's how it goes(use this format):

Applied:
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied: Toronto, Mac, and Queens (All PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cumGPA: 3.75 subGPA: 3.86

2nd time applying (applied last year with 3.78 subGPA)

Placement at cardiac rehab at hospital

Volunteered at 2 physiotherapy clinics 

Personal trainer at GoodLife Fitness 

Research Assistant at University

References from hospital and and research Professor 

Applied: Toronto, Western, Mac (PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cGPA: 3.04 (yup); sGPA: 3.86

Meh..crammed it all this fall so not really optimistic

100+ hours volunteering in a clinic

Research assistant in a biomechanics lab

References from research prof and PT

Applied: UBC (OT and PT), U of A (OT), Queens PT, Western PT, U of Toronto PT, McMaster PT

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA=3.30 sGPA= 3.86, UBC=94%

2nd time applying this year.. 150 hours volunteering at a PT/OT clinic, 50 hours volunteering at a hospital working with variety of disabilities. 2 years experience (1000 hours) working as a strength and conditioning coach (NSCA C.S.C.S). Think my references are fairly good; 1 from well-respected professors and other from clinic coordinator/PT at a hospital.

Good Luck to everyone applying this year!  :) 

Wow! You guys are looking real good!

Applied: UBC, Queens (PT)
Accepted: UBC
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 3.35 sGPA: 3.72, UBC (86%)  

I've worked the past 18 months (so like 2,500 hours?) full time as a clinical kinesiologist, doing exc prescription, modalities, ultrasound, TENS, pain education etc...Was also a pretty good athlete until a severe injury forced me into to seeing rehab from the patient side, so I have that experience... Hoping that Queens sees my experience>GPA. :)   

References are pretty good, got me an interview and waitlisted last year at UBC. Weakness would probably be my interviewing skills, need to work on getting more comfortable and confident in the MMI type of setting, it's a bit of an adjustment from regular interviews that I'm used to.   

Best of luck everyone and happy holidays!

Applied: Queens, Western, McMaster, U of T, and U of A (all PT)
Accepted: Queens, Western, U of T, and U of A
Waitlisted: McMaster (#15)
Rejected:
Interview Invite: McMaster, UofT, and U of A

GPA: cGPA: 3.78; sGPA: 3.93 (Ontario); sGPA=3.98 (U of A)

PT is all I`ve ever wanted to do so I think I have a decent amount of PT experience as I shadowed 3 PT`s (one in private clinic, 2 in a hospital), volunteered as a physio assistant, and had a placement as a kinesiologist within a PT clinic too. As for my other experiences I worked as an athletic trainer for the varsity hockey team at my university, volunteer as an advanced medical first responder, am a Special Olympics coach, worked with kids with motor development issues, and coached sports for several seasons. I also am completing an honors bachelor of kine thesis but I am not sure how relevant my thesis topic is to PT. I was able to read my reference from a PT and it was great so I was happy but I have 2 other references from professors which I think will also be pretty strong.

This is my first time applying so I feel as though I`ll lack experience with the admissions procedures which may put me at a disadvantage but I know many people get in on their second or third time applying so we`ll see what happens. I am fortunate to know past queens PT grads and a medical school admissions officer who is going to read my personal admissions though.

Good luck to everyone applying and Merry Christmas friends!

Applied: UBC OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: upper div gpa 3.77, I think that's 82% on ubc scale??

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 3150 hours as a private support worker working with children with asd/downs/Williams syndrome/ms. 30 hours work as a support worker for canucks autism network, certified yoga instructor , running a yoga program specifically for kids with asd, currently working as a recreation instructor for the city with people of all ages and abilites, strong reference letters from an ot and a slp

I'm worried about my gpa...thoughts? It's my second time applying. Last time my gpa was 3.5

Applied: McMaster (OT)

Accepted: MMI for Mac  :) 
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: 3.81 (sub-GPA) 

I have a wide variety of experience working with typically developing children, children living with disabilities, adults with disabilities as well as seniors. I am currently a lead researcher in a study looking at older individuals with mobility issues and the impact on the Canadian and American healthcare systems, therefore by March 2017 I will have a publication. I also am currently working at a children's movement program with children ranging from 3-12 with various abilities and disabilities. 

Any suggestions or advice? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering where you guys are getting your ubc percentages from ?? The scale I'm looking at doesn't seem to be the same as the one you guys are looking at. Can anyone let me know ? Thanks !

Hey Kenzie92,

I believe they are students that have already attended UBC. Otherwise, it would be quite difficult to estimate the GPA after conversion from the 4.0 scale.

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Applied: Western, Mac, Queen's, Mcgill
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:  sgpa ~3.73

Western essay was strong and had good references from physio clinic at a senior long term health care centre as well as community service. Just worried about my hours after seeing how many some other people did and my gpa too! still competitive though

Applied: UofT, Western, Queen's - all for OT
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: I believe my sub GPA is 3.82 and cGPA is 3.63 by the ORPAS standards, but waiting for the verification in February.
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I felt my references were strong, one was a professor who taught me in three different courses all relating to the sociology of health and illness, and the other was my former employer, a physiotherapist. I have experience working with children with disabilities, volunteering at Sick Kids, and worked a policy contract last summer regarding Ontario's disabilities act (AODA). I really tried to make my personal submissions about my journey towards OT and how my choices and life path have really influenced this decision. Hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone :)

Applied: Western, TO, Queens, McMaster (All PT)

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sub-GPA= ~3.73, cGPA=3.2

Had supervisor of a lab i was doing research with and PT that I volunteered with for the past 2.5 years now. 

This is my 2nd time applying.

Applied: McMaster, UofT OT only
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA 3.76

-7 months volunteer experience alongside an OT where I was able to work with patients, help perform standardized tests and analyze results (MOCA etc).

-Mentorships with other OTs one in education, one in peds.  

-Personal experience with family (Stepdad had an OT for GMB and mother in law has OT for ALS - I was very active in both of their care).  

-Not totally related, but worked in two hospitals in the last four years working with patients, nurses physicians etc - very familiar with patient confidentiality and inter-professional collaboration.  Peer mentor in university to a 2nd year neuroscience class.  Tutor for children with learning disabilities.  I worked as a physio assistant a few years ago as well. 

-References - one is a professor who I had a close relationship with in my final year in school, other is the OT which i volunteered with.  

Interviews: I am a pretty confident person, but someone who comes off pretty strong.  I am well known in my circle of friends/family for being bossy so I hope I don't come off too strong during the MMI. 

who else can't wait until May 20!?

Applied: U of T, McMaster, UWO, Queens (all OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA: 3.68, cGPA: 3.59  (most likely since i'm still waiting for one mark to come back)

My references were from the head of my program in Medical Sciences and we had long talks about it so Im sure it is good, and the other is from a professor of physical therapy that i worked with for 2 years..

Essays were good i think they are average in quality

*worried about my GPA, it seems lower than other posting here, but from what ive been told i hear its competetive for getting accepted off the wait list at the very least or maybe Queens?

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Western and Queens (all OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sub - 3.739 cum - 3.637 (according to my calculations)

Submitted 3 references, including one prof and two volunteer supervisors (OT and PT). I have around 200 hours volunteering in rehab settings with PTs and OTs and I work in administration at a therapy clinic (for about 6 months as of time of application). I am hoping my experiences and references are enough to make up for my lower GPA! 

Applied: Toronto, Ottawa, Western,Mcmaster ,mcgill , dalhousie ( all PT) 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPA: 3.73 sGPA: 3.81

- work as Peer assisted study sessions leader with my faculty , volunteered in cardiac rehab unit ( >100 hours) , volunteered to teach french to seniors , volunteered as a peer health educator on campus with a focus on sexual health education , good research experience, conducted research on the potential of nanoparticles to serve as biosensors in complex media research project was funded by NSERC. 

Best of luck to everyone , 

Cheers. 

Applied: U of T, Queens, Western, McMaster (all OT)
Accepted:
Rejected:
sGPA: 3.79, cGPA: 3.49

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essays are strong, especially my personal statement.  My references are from a professor who I took 3 classes with during my undergrad and a supervisor of one of the non-profit programs for that I ran for over 3 years (it provided support services to seniors and older adults with disabilities). 

I am an older, non-traditional application and I'm hoping to make OT my second (and final!) career.  I have worked in non-profit administration since I graduated from university in 2010 and have spent the entirety of this time in front-line roles with programs that provide services to vulnerable and marginalized clients.  Much of this work has involved working closely with community-based OTs.

I actually got into Western a couple of years ago, but I injured my back and was not able to attend.  This is my second time applying and I must say that everyone has such awesome grades and experience that I am VERY nervous. 

Good luck everyone!

Applied: Queens

Accepted:

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.685

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was strong. My references were from a professor and a doctor that I have worked with for 2 years.

My super low gpa is scaring me thats why i only applied to Queens thinking that my work experience might compensate for my low gpa. :'( i have worked as a physician assistant for 2 years (1300 hours), volunteered with a physiotherapist (300hours), worked at an indoor fitness park creating workout and fitness plans for all ages (300hours), and also worked as a assistant project manager. I have worked with all kinds of patients ranging from autistic to socially and mentally disadvantaged. 

Do you guys think I have chance of getting in Queens? :(

Applied: Queens

Accepted:

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.685

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think my essay was strong. My references were from a professor and a doctor that I have worked with for 2 years.

My super low gpa is scaring me thats why i only applied to Queens thinking that my work experience might compensate for my low gpa. :'( i have worked as a physician assistant for 2 years (1300 hours), volunteered with a physiotherapist (300hours), worked at an indoor fitness park creating workout and fitness plans for all ages (300hours), and also worked as a assistant project manager. I have worked with all kinds of patients ranging from autistic to socially and mentally disadvantaged. 

Do you guys think I have chance of getting in Queens? :(

Edit: see PTapplicant2017's post below.  

Queens, I believe, looks at cGPA rather than sGPA, but I would think that 3.6 would be competitive.  They have the reputation as being the most holistic of the Ontario schools in their admissions process, meaning they heavily consider the other elements of your application. 

From their applicant video/info, Queen's only uses cGPA for a cutoff (>2.89). However, sGPA is used for admissions and ranking in PT. OT uses only cGPA (~3.2) so I'm not sure what program you're applying to but those are the ways Queen's uses your GPA for admission, by program.

From their applicant video/info, Queen's only uses cGPA for a cutoff (>2.89). However, sGPA is used for admissions and ranking in PT. OT uses only cGPA (~3.2) so I'm not sure what program you're applying to but those are the ways Queen's uses your GPA for admission, by program.

My mistake.  For some reason I thought that posted was applying to OT, but looking back at their post I am clearly wrong.  I'll edit my reply.  

Archived